Pantsir-S1M, 8x8 Short Range Air Defense Missile System and SPAAG

Would you like to see the Pantsir-S1M implemented into War Thunder?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters
Should the Pantsir-S1M be added to a potential Yugoslavian tech tree as well?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters

flag of russia small
Pantsir-S1M 8x8 Short Range Air Defense Missile System and SPAAG

Pantsir-S1M_sep2021_Rosoboronexport
This post is still being edited and will be changed as I gather more Information. Thank you.

Introduction:
In light of the changing landscape of short-range weapon systems, particularly the evolution of primary targets such as cruise missiles towards hypersonic capabilities and the curtailment of subsonic cruise missile production, KBP Design bureau has decided to develop a new generation Pantsir-S1M short-range air defense missile and gun system. The engineering solutions employed in this system meet all current and future requirements for countering modern air threats and exceed the capabilities of existing systems. The new Pantsir-S1M features high-velocity surface-to-air missiles with an engagement range of up to 30 km and altitude of up to 18 km, employing a curtain-type kinetic action warhead that creates a cloud of high-density fragments in front of the target upon receiving the uplink command. This provides effective engagement due to the kinetic hypersonic velocity imparted to the missile after lift-off, low deceleration during trajectory, and added velocity of the oncoming target, resulting in an ultra-high striking velocity.

The improvements to the Pantsir-S1M system are not limited to the introduction of a new SAM type. The control system has also been upgraded to enhance the efficiency of “standard” SAM employment, with up to four targets kept on fine tracking in radar mode.

In addition to the new SAM type and control system, the Pantsir-S1M combat vehicle also features a range of recently-designed sub-systems.

History:
The Pantsir air defense system has its roots in the Soviet Union’s air defense program of the 1970s and 1980s. The original concept was to develop a mobile, short-range air defense system that could provide protection for ground forces against low-flying aircraft, helicopters, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

The development of the Pantsir system began in the 1990s, with the first prototypes being tested in the early 2000s. The system was designed and developed by the Russian company KBP Instrument Design Bureau.

The Pantsir system consists of a combination of missile and gun systems mounted on a mobile platform. The system is equipped with a range of sensors, including a phased-array radar, electro-optical sensors, and a laser rangefinder, which provide comprehensive situational awareness and enable the system to detect and track targets at long range.

General:

• Place of Origin: Russian Federation
  • Users: Russian Federation, Serbia (two batteries on order)
  • Designer Company: KBP Instrument Design Bureau
  • Manufacturer: Ulyanovsk Mechanical Plant
  • Crew: 3

1455546163_kamaz-53958-tornado-1

Armament:

• Cannons: 2A38M 30mm Auto Cannons
  • Missiles: 95Ya6 (57E6-E), 57E6M-E (12 Missiles)
  • Upgraded Missile Weight: 115kg from 98kg on the 57E6-E.
  • Missile Range: 57E6M-E - 30km (It can engage targets at altitudes of 15–18,000m and has a slant range of 1,200–30,000m)
    57E6-E - 20km (15–15,000m altitude and 1,200–20,000m range)
  • Missile Speed: 57E6M-E - 1,700 m/s (The reduction in the length of the missile has enabled a larger booster to be fitted that increases its speed)
    57E6-E - 1,300 m/s
  • Barrels: Twin Barrel, Gast Principle
  • Combined Fire Rate: 3,900 and 5,000 rounds per minute or 1,950 to 2,500 rpm individually.
  • Belt Feed: Belt Fed, Single Belt Fed
  • Muzzle Velocity: 960 m/s
  • Ammunition types: HE-T, HE-I (fitted with a A-670 Fuse) and APT.

Cannon Images:
gun1-removebg-preview_2
gun2-removebg-preview_1
gun3-removebg-preview_1
gun4-removebg-preview_1
Missile Images:
pantsirmissile1
57E6M-E next to 95Ya6

SOTS search radar
Pantsir-S2_Pantsyr-S2_air_defense_missile_system_anti-aircraft_gun_Russia_Russian_army_details_view_001
The radar system, designed with a Janus nature by ESA, appears to be primarily aimed at generating track outputs at a much faster pace compared to the VNIIRT 2RL80/2RL80E, which was utilized in early production systems for the Russian PVO and export customers. Although the intended recipient of the system has not been revealed, the prototype vehicle’s desert camouflage suggests that it may be an export client from the Middle East. The improved tracking rate offered by this system would enhance the capability to track PGM targets, particularly the AGM-88 HARM/AARGM’s various versions.

General Radar information:

• Detection Range: 80km
  • Coverage: 360°
  • Target Engagement Speed: 1,000 m/s
  • Search azimuth: 90° from 80° on the Pantsir-S1
  • Target Detection: 40 incoming targets.
  • Simultaneous Tracking: 4 targets from the 2 on the Pantsir-S1

This system includes two phased antenna arrays, two transceiving systems, and 2D electronic scanning in both elevation and azimuth, resulting in a search radar that offers the following capabilities:

• The use of sector-search mode has created an opportunity to detect ballistic targets more effectively.
  • The detection range has been extended up to 80 km and the number of detected targets has been increased to up to 40 units.
  • The PAA’s reliability has improved as a result of redundant basic components combined with the transceivers.

Tracking Radar: more Information needed
pantsirsm_prev01
By increasing the surface of the PAA and boosting the transmitter’s power, the multifunctional tracking radar (TTR) offers:

• There is a 1.5-fold increase in the detection and acquisition range for a target with an RCS of 1 m2.
  • The transceiver band has been doubled.
  • There has been a reduction in target tracking errors.
  • The system can perform simultaneous fine tracking of up to 4 targets.

The optronic system (OES) includes thermal imaging and TV channels, a laser rangefinder, TV auto-tracker, and an optronic sensor for localizing the surface-to-air missile (SAM). It enables automatic and semi-automatic determination of missile and target coordinates in the optical band, surveillance of the airspace, target search by the operator, and range measurement to the target. This system is capable of operating under conditions of reduced atmospheric transparency, with a performance range exceeding meteorological visibility by 5 to 10 times. As a result, the OES can detect targets and determine their front and side projections coordinates with a specified level of accuracy.

The workstations have been improved with console computers that offer enhanced ergonomics and functional capabilities for the mapping computer and imagery data recorder, replacing traditional displays.

The central computer has been upgraded with increased performance and extended memory capacity, and high-level language programming capabilities that enable data recoding.

The Pantsir-S1M system features an integrated multimode and multispectral radar-optical guidance system that operates in dm-, mm-, and IR-wavebands, providing high immunity to jamming and a significant increase in combat performance.

The mobile version of the system includes a combat vehicle (up to 6 in a battery) equipped with two types of surface-to-air missiles and 30-mm rounds, a transporting-loading vehicle (one per 2 combat vehicles), maintenance assets, and training aids.

Mobility:

The KAMAZ-53958 is a Russian-made 8x8 military truck designed for off-road operations in challenging terrain. The truck was developed by the KAMAZ company and is widely used by the Russian military and other armed forces around the world.

The KAMAZ-53958 is powered by a diesel engine and features a 8x8 drivetrain, which provides excellent traction and mobility on difficult terrain. The truck has a payload capacity of up to 6 tons and can be equipped with a range of military equipment and weapons systems.

The truck is designed for use in a variety of roles, including troop transport, cargo transport, and as a platform for mounting weapons systems. The KAMAZ-53958 has a modular design that allows it to be customized to meet the specific needs of different military units, and it can be fitted with a range of specialized equipment, including communication systems, navigation systems, and mine-resistant armor.

The KAMAZ-53958 is widely recognized for its reliability, durability, and off-road performance, and it has been deployed in a variety of military operations around the world
k53958_prev01-removebg-preview
k53958_prev02-removebg-preview

In-game: I want to make this clear that I am in no way suggesting the Pantsir-S1M to be added right now or in the near future, only when the game is ready for it. If the Pantsir-S1M gets added, it will offer the player 10km more in engagement range to the previous Pantsir-S1, it also offers better simultaneous search, quicker engagement time, tracking, better coverage and slightly better protection.

Difference between the Pantsir-S1M and Pantsir-SM : The Pantsir-SM has a 40km engagement range while the Pantsir-S1M has a maximum of 30km furthermore the Pantsir-SMs new missile can travel at a staggering 2,000 m/s while the Pantsir-S1M is travels at 1,700 m/s.
The Pantsir-SM is also capable of a load of 48 smaller missiles (4 missiles per tube) and can engage drones out to 7km. Perhaps I or someone else can get around to a Pantsir-SM/Pantsir-SM-TBM soon.

There’s a chance the Pantsir-S1M may also be capable of this.

I tried to cover as much as the basic upgrade information as I could, I would suggest checking out @CakeJuniorMan’s post on the Pantsir-S1 there is relevant information on his post.

Also check out my newest post on the Pantsir-SM

Russian_Pantsir-S1M_air_defense_system_tested_in_desert_environment_4
Russian_Pantsir-S1M_air_defense_system_tested_in_desert_environment_2
Russian_Pantsir-S1M_air_defense_system_tested_in_desert_environment_1

Sources:
IDEX 2019: Russia unveils upgraded Pantsyr-S1M

https://www.defaiya.com/news/Defense News/Russia/2021/12/13/upgraded-pantsir-to-fight-any-attack-drones

4 Likes

+1

1 Like

Any thoughts on doing the Pantsir-SM soon?

2 Likes

Certainly, It’s in the plans.

1 Like

Aw hell naw I do not want to see this in War Thunder anytime soon and especially when Japan is using a LITERAL TOYOA SPAA.

23 Likes

As I do agree, the game itself shouldn’t be held back in areas because another nation doesn’t have equivalents, I say this for everyone. These systems are necessary to combat the strong CAS at top tier which seems to grow stronger and stronger every other update, and I do hope systems with similar strengths get added like the Spyder for example.

I support absolute balance and nothing but balance and view this as a unnecessary addition, this brings absolutely nothing of value besides pure performance. Russia could easily get other SPAAs without them overperforming but obviously this guy picked the Pantsir S1M since he probably doesn’t know much about Russian Air Defence.

Russia SHOULD get held back by other nations like Japan because if not that would promote bias and unfair gameplay. Japan is in urgent need of a SPAA and currently all other things should be pushed aside (SPAA wise) for Japan’s sake.

This is the main root of neglection, if one nation is forgotten this will eventually pile up

18 Likes

You’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine, we can agree to disagree, nothing will change the fact that these will eventually be added anyway without any of our say. I do want to see stronger SAMs for others that can get them first, this was merely just a suggestion, not something I want to see RIGHT AWAY.
I am also a strong advocate for Japan to get a sub tree, something like Thailand or South Korea.

1 Like

Yeah I can agree on that.

1 Like

Idk why we just can’t get two-part air defense systems. Like the s-300 or the patriot system. Just have the radars at spawn and have the vehicle/trailers towed around wherever on the map

2 Likes

I actually had the same idea, the radars would act as great targets for SEAD aircraft.

Also. What was this that you were referring to? Is this like a fire and forget missile for close range?

They’re smaller missiles meant to take out drone swarms, I’m not exactly sure how they’re guided yet.

1 Like

Utterly unnecessary at the moment.

5 Likes

But always room for the future. Whenever it may be

Yes, I’d love to see him in the game. But this is just a copy of the Pantsir S1 which is already in the game. But on a different chassis. He also has a different radar, but the Pantsir in the game also has such a radar irl. Moreover, it is the most common radar. But the snail not only did not give it to us, but also nerfed the existing radar. It finds the target only after 4 scans. So let’s wait until stealth appears in the game, and they give Pantsir S1 a new radar in the form of upgrading the module, as on Tunguska.

It also has a new missile that give it enhanced performance (30km range and 1,700 m/s). But yeah, it’s not needed right now. But definitely an option for the future.

Hmm. A modification for the existing pantsur s1 wouldn’t be a bad idea. I mean, it’s on the same chassis as the one we have in game on some variants I see

1 Like

Only if TOR-M1 is added to replace Pantsir S1.

1 Like

I guess Pantsir S1 will recieve modification as new radar and missile. And Pantsir SM as different SPAA. Btw it doesnt matter, cuz Pantsir S1 is very good… i mean would be good if the snail didn’t break it. There are so many reports about bugs, radar lock and missile. But they don’t listen. If they add a new Pantsir, the snail may make it even worse.