Pantsir-SM 8x8 Ultimate Short Range Air Defense Missile System and SPAAG

Would you like to see the Pantsir-SM added?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

flag of russia small Pantsir-SM 8x8 Ultimate Short Range Air Defense Missile System and SPAAG
pantsir-sm1_725
This post is still being edited and will be changed as I gather more Information. Thank you.
This post will be somewhat similar to my post on the Pantsir-S1M, much of the information over on that one is still relevant to this vehicle.

Introduction
The Pantsir-SM variant features an advanced targeting station that enhances target detection range from 40 to 75 kilometers (25 to 47 miles) and engagement range from 20 to 40 kilometers (12 to 25 miles). This system utilizes a newly designed high-speed extended range missile. Older Pantsir systems can undergo upgrades to meet the SM standard. Mounted on a new 8×8 Kamaz truck chassis with a reinforced cab, development of this system was finalized in 2019. Recent reports indicate its deployment in Ukraine as of December 2023.

History
The origins of the Pantsir air defense system can be traced back to the Soviet Union’s air defense endeavors during the 1970s and 1980s. Initially envisioned as a mobile, short-range defense system, its primary objective was to safeguard ground forces from low-flying aircraft, helicopters, and UAVs.

Beginning in the 1990s, development work on the Pantsir system commenced, with the first prototypes undergoing testing in the early 2000s. The design and development of the system were spearheaded by the Russian company KBP Instrument Design Bureau.

The Pantsir system comprises a blend of missile and gun systems mounted on a mobile platform. Equipped with various sensors such as phased-array radar, electro-optical sensors, and a laser rangefinder, the system offers comprehensive situational awareness. These capabilities enable the system to detect and track targets effectively over long distances. It’s development and subsequent introduction marked a significant milestone in air defense technology, attracting interest from both domestic and international markets seeking modern and versatile defense systems. The evolution of the Pantsir-SM further extended with variants like the Pantsir-SM-TBM, featuring 24 tubes for expanded missile capacity, showcasing continuous efforts to refine and adapt the system to meet evolving defense needs.

General

• Place of Origin: Russian Federation
  • Users: Russian Federation
  • Designer Company: KBP Instrument Design Bureau
  • Manufacturer: Tula’s Shcheglovsky Val
  • Crew: 3

Armament
In terms of armament one of the key improvements of the Pantsir-SM is its new missile system, which boasts a maximum range of 40 km and can engage targets at altitudes of up to 15 km. This marks a significant enhancement over the capabilities of the previous 57E6 missile used by the Pantsir-S1, effectively expanding the system’s coverage to both short and medium-range defense scenarios. The new missiles travel at extremely high speeds, reportedly reaching Mach 5.8 (7200 km/h), with some sources citing even higher speeds at Mach 8.8 (10800 km/h). Additionally, the system plans to incorporate smaller missiles specifically designed to counter UAVs, drones, mortar mines, and artillery rockets, with one missile container capable of holding four such projectiles, one vehicle can carry up to smaller 48 missiles.
68127b2e9b95fbf6e9f4774195efbbd13c981bc8_2_1000x464

The Pantsir-SM is equipped with two dual 30 mm guns with a combined rate of fire of up to 5,000 rounds per minute. These guns have a reach of up to 4 km and can be used against ground targets, including armored vehicles, although their primary purpose is self-defense. The system carries a total of 1,400 rounds for the guns, providing sustained protection in combat situations.

• Cannons: 2A38M 30mm Auto Cannons
  • Missiles: More information needed should be backwards compatible with previous missiles.
  • Upgraded Missile Weight: 115kg (give or take)
  • Missile Range: 40km and 15km altitude
  • Missile Speed: 2000m/s (some sources state 3000m/s (10800km/h)
  • Barrels: Twin Barrel, Gast Principle.
  • Combined Fire Rate: 3,900 and 5,000 rounds per minute or 1,950 to 2,500 rpm individually.
  • Belt Feed: Belt Fed, Single Belt Fed.
  • Muzzle Velocity: 960 m/s
  • Ammunition types: HE-T, HE-I (fitted with a A-670 Fuse) and APT.

Missile Images
183983-f955cacdbd65b1bb33db12b5b1b9358e
upgraded missile on the left

Cannon Images
gun4-removebg-preview_1
gun1-removebg-preview_2
gun2-removebg-preview_1
gun3-removebg-preview_1

1627470525_pancir-sm

Radar
The Pantsir-SM incorporates an advanced active electronically scanned array radar (AESA), greatly enhancing its detection capabilities. With an impressive detection range of 75 km, it surpasses the original Pantsir-S1, which only had a range of 30 km. Moreover, this radar boasts increased resistance to jamming, further enhancing its effectiveness.

General Radar information:

• Detection Range: 75km (the search radar most likely is able to extend its range much further with 75km being its base.)
  • Coverage: 360°
  • Target Engagement Speed: 2,000m/s
  • Search azimuth: 90°
  • Target Detection: 40 incoming targets.
  • Simultaneous Tracking: more information needed
images

IMG_4075

Mobility:

The KAMAZ-53958, an 8x8 military truck, has a rich history rooted in Russia’s robust defense industry. Developed by KAMAZ, a leading manufacturer of military vehicles, it was designed to excel in challenging off-road environments and has become a staple in military fleets globally.

Its development began in the late 1990s, with a focus on creating a versatile and reliable transport vehicle for military operations. The design prioritized ruggedness, mobility, and payload capacity, making it suitable for a range of roles from troop transport to logistics support in harsh terrain.

Powered by a diesel engine and equipped with an advanced 8x8 drivetrain, the KAMAZ-53958 offers exceptional traction and maneuverability across various landscapes. Its payload capacity of up to 6 tons allows for the transport of troops, cargo, and specialized equipment, including weapons systems.

Over the years, the KAMAZ-53958 has undergone continuous improvements and upgrades to enhance its performance and adaptability to modern warfare requirements. It has seen action in numerous military campaigns and operations, earning a reputation for reliability and durability in the field.

The truck’s modular design enables easy customization to meet the specific needs of different military units, further enhancing its versatility and utility. Today, the KAMAZ-53958 remains a crucial asset in military logistics, showcasing Russia’s expertise in producing rugged and dependable military vehicles.

General

• Top Speed: 100km/h (on paved roads)
  • Horse Power: 550
  • Engine: KAMAZ-910.10

1455546163_kamaz-53958-tornado-1

Pantsir-SM-TBM
"Russia’s Shipunov Instrument Design Bureau has unveiled a variant of the Pantsir-SM air defense system, the Pantsir-SM-TBM, featured in a screen grab from Tv Zvezda. This new iteration omits the 30mm cannons and traditional radar, instead doubling the missile count to 24 while relying on networked sources for targeting data. A scale model of this advancement was showcased at the “Engineers of the Future” forum in Tula, Russia.

The Pantsir-SM is a highly regarded short-range air defense system globally, with numerous countries incorporating it into their arsenals. The addition of “TBM” signifies the inclusion of a new transport-combat vehicle that not only houses, but also loads and launches the missiles, eliminating the need for an extra vehicle.

By replacing the cannons with missile armament, the Pantsir-SM-TBM gains versatility in engaging air threats both near and far. This development comes in response to recent combat scenarios where the Pantsir-SM faced challenges from Turkey’s Bayraktar TB2 attack drones.

The new model boasts 24 missiles compared to the Pantsir-SM’s 12, potentially featuring an advanced missile with a reported Mach 5 speed. This capability aims to address the evolving threat landscape, especially concerning drone attacks. Something interesting, this system may have the ability to mount the smaller drone killing missiles, this would give this vehicle the ability to equip a full load of 96 missiles.

Yury Andronov, from the Shipunov Instrument Design Bureau, highlighted that the increased missile load will enhance the system’s ability to engage multiple targets simultaneously, such as drones, missiles, and low-flying aircraft. The Pantsir-SM-TBM’s debut is anticipated at the Army 2022 event near Moscow in August 2022, promising to capture significant attention among international military delegations."
pantsir-s_1656577327

If you’re interested, please take a look at my post on the Pantsir-S1M

Sources:

https://armstrade.org/includes/periodics/news/2023/1219/093577068/detail.shtml

https://tvzvezda.ru/news/opk/content/2021222145-X43OE.html

4 Likes

Okay it would be nice to have but if I understood correctly it’s an improvement of the pantsir already in game, so when gaijin gives other countries AAs equivalent to the pantsir S1 then yes it could and should be added

3 Likes

I see CAS mains got here to vote no.
This is very much needed.

3 Likes

I think a huge counterbalance is needed for CAS as a whole, I’d love to see other equivalent systems for other nations. I’d do some suggestions myself, I’m just not very informed with other nations systems, so I’ll leave those to the experts on those.

9 Likes

Eh right now I would say no, the Pantsir is already one of the best (if not THE best) SPAA in game right now, although perhaps when the time comes as a potential ~12.7 tech tree vehicle alongside other nations equivelents obviously

-1 for now, but +1 in the fairly distant future, maybe 2-3 years i guess

9 Likes

Yes, however this is specific for this system.
Topics like that can go to “CAS is OP” topics and general topics about SPAA.
I do and will always say in every topic that has SPAA better than Pantsir S1 and ITO-90M that they’re needed.

If you have any non-Pantsir-SM related comments, I implore to either DM them to me or ping me in a relevant topic. :)

@lxtav
Ah yes, CAS should stay unkillable for 2 - 3 years… /s

I mean its always going to be an issue, simple band-aid solution would be to make higher teir aircraft have to take off from the airfield first instead of air spawn.

Personally i dont find CAS to be a massive issue like people claim but it might just be me, im more of an Air RB/SB guy

1 Like

Until or unless other countries get similar capabilities, than no this doesn’t currently have a place in game at the moment. It could in the future, but for now I’m going to put this at a probably temporary -1.

3 Likes

I believe it should be added at some point in the future. The regular Pantsir is already far and away the most powerful and capable SPAA in the game, and Gaijin needs to bring the other nations up to its level. Once there are anti-air vehicles equipping each nation at the same level as the current Pantsir system, then we can talk about adding the SM. Until then, it simply has to wait.

2 Likes

Im still unclear on whether this would be better or worse than the current one. But I just don’t believe russia needs yet another insanely powerful AA while other countries don’t have anything comparable

1 Like

This seems duplicate to existing suggestions
Pantsir-S1M, 8x8 Short Range Air Defense Missile System and SPAAG - Suggestions / Ground - War Thunder — official forum

-1 the Pantsir S1 already outperforms every other nation’s AA options by such a massive margin that this vehicle is not currently required.

Perhaps it might be added in the future, but other nations should be priority at this time.

10 Likes

From the S1M post:

Difference between the Pantsir-S1M and Pantsir-SM : The Pantsir-SM has a 40km engagement range while the Pantsir-S1M has a maximum of 30km furthermore the Pantsir-SMs new missile (57E6ME) can travel at a staggering 2,000 m/s while the Pantsir-S1M is travels at 1,700 m/s.
The Pantsir-SM is also capable of a load of 48 smaller missiles (4 missiles per tube) and can engage drones out to 7km. Perhaps I or someone else can get around to a Pantsir-SM/Pantsir-SM-TBM soon

i belive that most of the voters (inculding me) who choose “No” are think that “Don’t suffer from scarcity but from inequality” cause the gap between spaa is greater than CAS, CAS only has an efficiency gap but spaa’s gap is not only the load capacity, but also shoot range, G overload, TNT equivalent…etc.

i don’t think this is needed right now

1 Like

It’s not a duplicate, they just have the same layout because I made the Pantsir-S1M post and some information from that vehicle is somewhat relevant to this vehicle, like the cannons and chassis etc, the differences warrant a whole new suggestion.

1 Like

I agree, this post wasn’t created under the text, “it’s needed right now” it’s a suggestion for future consideration when vehicles of its caliber are added, like the Spyder AIO, SLAMRAAM and alike.

YYYEEAAAHHHH BUDDY!! +1. Congrats bro, what’s next? XD

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll let you do the TOR-M2 :D
That one shouldn’t be too hard to gather information on.

Oof. That’ll be hard cause I’m currently busy with college. It’s almost over so I’ll see what I can do after I’m done