Leopard 2A4M CAN: The Maple Leaf Leopard

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Leopard 2A4M: The Maple Leaf Leopard

A Canadian Leopard 2A4M with applique armor applied to the frontal arc, roof top, turret sides, and side skirts. Cage armor and desert camouflage netting as well.

• Background :
    • The Canadian Leopard 2A4M is a modernized Leopard 2A4 serving within the Canadian Army. After realizing the C2 Leopard tank was not suited for the conditions in Afghanistan, requested from the German government 20 Leopard 2A6’s, upgraded to the M version for increased mine protection, to counter growing threats from IED’s and the urban environment. After using the Leopard 2A6’s, the Canadian government decided in 2009 to purchase 80 Leopard 2A4’s from the Royal Netherland Army and upgrade 20 of them, through KMW, to modern standards. This led to the creation of the Leopard 2A4M variant. Entering service in 2010, the Canadian Leopard 2A4M is the cornerstone of Canadian armor deployments. The first deployment occurred in October of 2010 when 5 Leopard 2A4M’s were deployed to Afghanistan to conduct peacekeeping operations. These 5 were soon returned to Canada in 2011.
    • " Mine protection was enhanced with belly armor under the forward hull to protect the crew. Other modifications included an all-electric digital turret, a digital central logic/main distribution system, a new commander system control unit, enhanced brakes, an upgraded suspension and driver viewing aids. Environmental enhancements included chilled cooling vests for the crew and new camouflage nets." Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN Photo Album
  • Armament :
    • The Leopard 2A4M is armed with a Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 gun, the same gun, found on other Leopard 2 variants. The Leopard 2A4M was originally supposed to be up-gunned to the Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 gun, however, after reviewing results in Afghanistan, decided the L/44 was sufficient for mission requirements. The L/44 gun has an elevation of -9 to +20 degrees and can also carry 42 rounds, 15 stored in the turret bustle in ready storage and the rest stored in the hull. The Leopard 2A4M also has two C6 7.62mm machine guns, one mounted coaxially to the main gun and one located on the top of the roof. There are 4,750 7.62mm rounds stored in the hull. Both the Gunner and Commander utilize a 3rd-generation Thermal Imager (ATTICA Camera) for targeting. The CITV received it’s ATTICA upgrade in 2014, with the Gunner’s Thermal Sight/EMES 15 receiving it in 2016. The Leopard 2A4M primarily fires the following ammunition:
      • DM53 – APFSDS
        • The DM53 is an Armor Piercing Finned Stabilized Discarding Sabot round that was developed by
          Germany to counter newer generations of armored vehicles.
        • The DM53, utilizing a L/44 gun, is capable of penetrating ~626mm at point blank, ~606mm at 1km, and ~585 at 2km (updated thanks to senzawa).
        • The DM53 has a muzzle velocity of 1670m/s from the L/44 gun.
        • This round was provided by the Royal Netherland Army during equipment transfer.
      • DM12A1 – HEAT-MP-T
        • The DM12A1 is a High Explosive Anti-Tank – Multi Purpose – Tracer round is a chemical based warhead designed to counter armor and personnel threats.
        • The DM12A1’s warhead is made to increase fragmentation capability against threats vs. the standard DM12.
        • The DM12A1 is capable of 480mm penetration vs. RHS at any distance.
        • The DM12A1 has a muzzle velocity of 1140m/s from the L/44 gun.
  • Armor :
    • One of the most major additions to this variant of Leopard 2 is the armor. The Leopard 2A4M is upgraded with multiple segments of modular applique armor, added to the turret, frontal arc, side skirts, roof top, and chassis to increase survivability against IED’s and threats in urban environments. This armor is made of Steel, Tungsten, Modular, and Composite armor segments. Also added is Slat armor, covering the rear transmission, engine exhaust and the turret rear to protect against other types of munitions. Underneath the applique armor is the same composite armor found on Leopard 2A4’s. Cage armor can be applied around the engine compartment and turret for protection against HEAT-shaped charges. The Leopard 2A4M utilizes an unspecified addon composite armor that could have similar properties to AMAP.
  • Dimensions :
    • Length: 9.61m w/ Gun forward (7.74m for Hull only)
    • Width: 4.05m
    • Height: 3.00m
    • Weight: 62.5t
  • Crew (4x):
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Driver
    • Loader
  • Engine :
    • The Leopard 2A4M uses the same engine found on the Leopard 2A4 which is the MTU MB-873 Ka-501 diesel engine that generates 1,500 hp. This is coupled to the RENK HSWL 354 transmission which is capable of 4 speed forward/2 reverse. The Leopard 2A4M has an overall weight of 62,500kg and can reach a top road speed of 72 km/h.
  • Features :
    • Laser Rangefinder.
    • x16 76mm Smoke Grenade Launchers.
    • R-17A4 ATTICA 3rd-Generation Panoramic Thermal Sight by Hensoldt for the Commander, this was added around 2014, replacing the PERI 17A1 Commander Sight.
    • EMES 15 w/ ATTICA 3rd-Generation 2A4 Gunner Thermal Sight, added around 2016.
    • Night vision periscopes for the Driver.
  • In-Game :
    • This vehicle, along with the 2A6M CAN posted in the same forums, would complement each other very well whatever tree it’s implemented in.
    • This vehicle has similar armor attributes to Strv 122A/B making it very different from the Leopard 2A4 and could very easily carry itself in high tier matches.
    • Likely would fit well in either the German or British Ground Forces Trees.
  • Sources :

Imagery

Spoiler

Leopard-2A4M-CAN.jpg

A closeup of the Leopard 2A4M CAN.

tmZPMujpiDhsJRImV6Pd8h230QSrA4X15cWANKUY

Unique paint scheme for the Leopard 2A4M CAN.

17047324859_9db1385115_b.jpg

The Leopard 2A4M CAN with camouflage netting.

How does the Abrams' APFSDs round has the same penetration as the Leopard gun despite it having a longer and a more modern gun? - Quora

A German DM53 APFSDS-T round compared with the American M829A3 APFSDS-T round.

https://youtu.be/FJ-a0DqdoIA

Video of the Leopard 2A4M CAN firing and maneuvering.

11 Likes

Just for clearification i would prob seperate the upper glacis armour value from the side armour values. Just to avoid misunderstanding. Otherwise i would say ive been waiting for this vehicle for years lol.

3 Likes

a 2a4 that looks almost like a 2a5? damn yes please

4 Likes

I think it’s fair to add this Leopard to British tech-tree since the top-tier SPAA for Britain tech-tree is Canadian ADATS.
And also, Britain tech-tree really needs new MBTs instead of Challengers, especially high mobility MBTs with smooth-bore gun instead of wire gun.
Besides, they even gave a T-90 to Britain tech-tree, why not a Leopard lol.

5 Likes

obraz_2023-12-24_161130658

3 Likes

Let’s say canadian it’s sub-tree for british tech tree

I guess could add Leopard 2A4M to 2nd line in rank 8 after Vickers Mk.7

7 Likes

Yeah that line had no more Vickers any way

1 Like

Quite agree and it’s what I always say to my friend.
Also Brit mains have wanted new MBT except more and more Challys for a long time.
Adding Leo 2A4M CAN to fill the top-tier of Vickers line can change a lot

3 Likes

+1 for future independent Canada tree.

4 Likes

Absolutely not. Its all german or canadian tech, and previous canadian leopards are all in the german tree as well.

Brits need to fk off with this begging for vehicles from every other tech tree.

5 Likes

My guy we have no more top tier mbt if gajin want to give us another top tier mbt it will have to be commonwealth or another Challenger 3 prototype

5 Likes

I see this as a great replacement for the 2PL when Poland comes. That or the Pz.87WE. So no +1 until then :)

I mean the US only has and will have Abrams, German only Leo 2s, Japan Type 90/10s, China ZTZ-99s and derivatives, France Leclercs, etc. it’s kinda only the Soviets with multiple diverse families of MBTs in service. So IDK why British mains complain so much about “only” having Challengers (the fullest top tier lineup in the game and one of the most modern).

5 Likes

US have two lines of top tier mbt same with sweden russian
Our second mbt line is at a dead end at 10.3 so commonwealth can go in that line to give that line a top tier

2 Likes

Britain has the most 11.0+ tanks of any nation. Doesn’t matter if it’s in one line or two. I’d say Indian vehicles (which often don’t have relation to other nations, unlike the Leopards) would be better to fill the small gaps in the British TT. However, Brits (or at least a small group of very vocal ones) seem to hate the idea of Indian vehicles for reasons I still don’t understand.

But the Canadian Leopards should go to Germany, because Germany is very severely lacking in quantity of top MBTs and doesn’t really have any other options, unlike Britain. Remember, their second MBT line ends at 9.7, not even 10.3.

Especially, as I said, when Poland comes (hopefully soon, 2024 or 2025) and the 2PL will need removed from Germany and replaced with something similar.

3 Likes

Germany has a lot of options, there are so many variants of the Leopard 2 that can be added as well as “international” modifications of the tank. For complete top rank, there’s the Leopard 2PSO-VT, Leopard 2A8 TD, Leopard 2 MBT “Technologieträger”, Leopard 2A7, Leopard 2A6A3, Leopard 2A4 Evolution, RUAG Leopard 2A4 Mid-Life (Swiss), Leopard 2SG (Singaporean), etc. There’s others I haven’t listed as well.

Note: The international ones are just to show there are many others, not necessarily for the German tree.

2 Likes

Germany has plenty of leopards to add we have almost no challengers to add

And all of those are Leo 2s, many of which are prototypes. There are also plenty of Chally 2 variants and prototypes, on top of the many in game, that can be added. I’m no expert, but off the top of my head there’s the CLIP, LEP, CSP, HAAIP, Chally 3 (production), 2E (Oman), Chally 2 (130mm), and Chally 2 (140mm). Plus from India the Arjun, Arjun 1A, and Arjun 2, and from SA the TTD (GT-9).

1 Like

That sucks, shouldve built more.

You already have more top tier MBT’s than most other nations in-game anyways at a WHOPPING 7.

Compare that to other nations;
GER - 5
FR - 4
IT - 3
JP - 2
CN - 4
SWE - 4
ISR - 3

Must really suck you have no more MBT’s to add cuz gaijin frontloaded all your additions and britain didnt make much MBT’s :(

3 Likes

My guy i would rather some top tier ifv but if they want to add another mbt it will hqve to be from the commonwealth