FV510 Warrior IFV - Technical Data and Discussion

A discussion area for the FV510 Warrior research on armament, protection, mobility, and its lifetime upgrades and variants.

Overview

Formed from concepts dating back to the 1960s, Warrior has been the principal Infantry Fighting Vehicle of the British Army since its adoption in 1987.

Initially intended to be a successor to the venerable FV432, Warrior never lived up to its full potential due to MoD budgetary restrictions, the consolidation and reduction of UK Defence manufacturing, and the reduction of UK conventional forces since 1991.

Nevertheless, through deployments to Iraq, Bosnia, and Afghanistan, Warrior has proven both its initial design and upgradeability as a fighting vehicle, and remains in British Army service as of 2024.

History

General Staff Requirement (GSR) 3533 (1971)
General Staff Requirement (GSR) 3538: Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle (1977)
Warrior Capability Sustainment Programme (WCSP) (2009)
Warrior Modular Protection System (WMPS)
Warrior Enhanced Electronic Architecture (WEEA)
Warrior Fightability Lethality Improvement Programme (WFLIP)

Warrior Variants
Gallery

Service Variants
FV510 Warrior (1986)
FV510 Warrior MILAN (1991)
Desert Warrior (Kuwait, 1995)
FV510 Warrior TES (2005-2010)
FV510 Warrior TES(H) (2011)
FV510 Warrior OES3 (2019)

Trialled Variants
Warrior CSP (Capability Sustainment Programme)
Warrior DRV (Defence Reconnaissance Variant)
Warrior VERDI-1
Warrior VERDI-2

Prototype & Concept Variants
Warrior 25
Warrior 30
Warrior 90
Warrior 105 LMT
Warrior 105 LRF
Warrior 2000
Warrior HOT
Warrior LP ADATS
Warrior Rapier
Warrior Thor
Warrior TRIGAT-LR
Warrior TRIGAT-MR

Specifications (FV510)

Armament
L21A1 RARDEN 30mm Autocannon
L94A1 7.62mm Chaingun
2x No.12 Smoke Grenade Dischargers
MILAN 2 ATGM (1991-2005)
Laser Range Finder (2001)

Protection
Welded aluminium hull (1986)
Vickers Defence Systems composite screens (1991) (Chobham? RO Defence? ROMOR-C?)
Enhanced Protection Bar Armour (2004)
Warrior Appliqué Armour Plate (WrAAP/WRAP1) (200?)
Warrior Reactive Armour Package 2 (WRAP2) (2007)
Mine Blast Protection (MBP) (2002)
Improved coverage nose armour, front (?)
ECM (?)

Mobility
ME: Perkins Engines Condor CV-8TCA (550hp @ 2,300rpm)
GB: Allison X-300-4B (4 FWD, 2 REV)

Night Sights & Thermal Imagers
Pilkington Optronics PE Raven (CMDR, GNR, x1/x8 Day, x2/x6 NV3) (1986)
Thales BGTI (x8 TI2, 2001)
Thales Catherine MP (?) (TI3, 2009)?
Driver’s TI (TI3?, 2011)

Links

Suggestions
Warrior DRV by nathanclawfish
Desert Warrior by OddPhenomena
MCV-80 IFV (C25) by nathanclawfish
MCV-80 (CM-90) by nathanclawfish

Bug Reports
[DEV] Desert warrior TOW is missing when spawning
[DEV] Desert Warrior missing engine bay fire wall (Ack)
Warrior IFV Incorrect Weight (Ack)
Warrior mud flaps not raised - Sources needed
Warrior front Chobham armour incorrectly modelled - (Ack)
Warrior powerpack too small and modelled incorrectly (Ack)
Warrior side armour backplate section missing (Ack)
RARDEN SAP-I/APHE-I ammunition lacks tracer (Ack)
Warrior default belt contains mixed ammunition (Closed)
Warrior L21A1 RARDEN incorrect burst length (Fixed)
Warrior IFV Missing Spall Liners (Ack)

Threads
Latest UK Ground Threads
Challenger 2 MBT - Technical Data and Discussion
Challenger 1 MBT - Technical Data and Discussion
Let’s talk about the Chieftain
British Weapon Systems - Technical Data and Discussion

Links
Think Defence - Warrior (2022)
Tank Chats #159 | Warrior | The Tank Museum (2022)
Keeping the Warrior on Track, Peter Antill (2020)
WCSP: Mid-Life Upgrade for Britain’s Warrior IFVs (2019)
Forecast International - FV510 Warrior and Warrior 2000 (2003)
History of War - Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle (UK)
Tank-AFV.com - FV510 Warrior
National Interest - “Britain’s Infantry Fighting Vehicle Packs Both Power and Armor”

13 Likes

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/lXLijPeRPADV

FV510 Warrior Spall Liner missing

5 Likes

It says the fire rate has been fixed? I haven’t noticed a change so did they just say “fixed” but did nothing or am I missing something.

So to kick off the discussion, I’d like to put forward the FV510 Warrior OES3.

This is the all-bells-and-whistles final variant of Warrior as an IFV, incorporating the 3rd Generation BGTI/Catherine MP TI, WRAP2 side protection system (comprised of ASPRO-H and EPBA), a new full-coverage front armour kit, the MBP mine protection package, and an ECM suite focused on Counter-IED operations, as well as many other upgrades.

This is my next target as a Suggestion, and it would be great to see feedback and opinions on its inclusion in War Thunder. For those who bemoan the loss of the MILAN post, my intention would be to bring in OES3 with the Rheinmetall L21A1 30mm APFSDS-T round which was tested and approved by the British Army in 2007.

12 Likes

A list of FV510 Warrior variant’s, upgrades and prototypes:

• In service Warriors:
Standard Warrior

The warrior was originally designed to replace the FV432 Bulldog as an APC, with work beginning in 1967 in response to the Soviet BMP-1, multiple prototypes using different turrets were made, until finally the design we all know and love today was introduced and began production, officially entering service in 1988.

Warrior with MILAN and composite screens

Following the start of desert storm in August 1990 it was decided the warrior needed some upgrades to stay combat effective, and so in 1991 ten warriors were fitted with the MILAN ATGM and extra armour in the form of composite screens on the sides of the vehicle and composite armour in front of the drivers compartment.

Warrior TES(H)

Following the delivery of the Battle Group Thermal Imaging Programme (BGTI) in 2005, the security situation in Afghanistan continued to decline resulting in many upgrade packages to the warrior, many simply referred to as TES, theatre entry standard, culminating in the TES(H) upgrade programme that was delivered in 2011.

Warrior OES3

Desert Warrior

After a sales campaign, 245 warriors were ordered by Kuwait in 1993, with the final vehicles manufactured in 1997. The Kuwaiti Desert Warrior had a turret based on that of the US LAV-25, equipped with a stabilised 25-mm M242 Bushmaster automatic cannon and dual TOW ATGMs, although some of these were without the TOW ATGMs.

• Trailed Warriors:
Warrior CSP

The Warrior Capability Sustainment Programme started in the early 2000s and was closely tied to the 40mm CTAS development programme. Recognising the approaching obsolescence of the 30mm RARDEN cannon, the MoD started a series of trade studies in order to develop the concept for a medium calibre weapon to replace it.
The 40mm CTAS cannon was first fitted in the warrior with a new turret labelled the Xena turret.

It was also fitted into a modified warrior turret on the left, and a unmanned turret, on the right

Eventually Lockheed Martin would win the contract to develop the Warrior CSP programme and displayed their first prototype at DSEI in September 2015.
This variant was trialled extensively until the programmes cancellation in 2021, leaving the warrior in service until it can be replaced by the Boxer.

Additionally, the CSP variants were also able to fit ERA armour blocks.

Warrior Recce

As part of its proposal for the FFLAV competition, GKN developed a smaller Warrior, The first iteration featured a stabilised turret with an M-242 25mm Bushmaster cannon and twin TOW ATGW launchers, not unlike the Desert Warrior operated by Kuwait. A later version featured new radar-absorbent appliqué panels and was equipped with an elevating sensor mast with a multispectral surveillance system utilising radar, thermal imaging, day/night sights and a laser rangefinder/target designator. The reduction in size and payload over a normal Warrior but retention of the same powerplant improved the power-to-weight ratio significantly.

Warrior Verdi 1

In 1987, the Vehicle Electronics Research Defence Initiative (VERDI), began to build a vehicle to showcase how new technology could improve combat effectiveness across the British military, the chose the Warrior to be the testbed for this research. Concluding in 1990, VERDI demonstrated a number of different technologies including data bus multiplexers, navigation, data fusion, positioning, display and engine monitoring. The benefits of mounting sensors on an elevating pneumatic mast from Clark Masts were also assessed. The demonstrator mast was equipped with a thermal imager and image intensifier. A crew of three was retained for this initial demonstrator but it was clear there was potential to reduce even this.

Warrior Verdi 2

Following a positive impression given by VERDI 1 a second phase project started in 1993, VERDI 2. The VERDI 2 Warrior was designed to test 2 man crew concepts and the ability to manoeuvre using only indirect vision. It had a side-by-side crew station, each with two CRT displays that could show mapping information, GPS data, symbology and other sensor information. The turret was also armed with an early version of the Starstreak High-Velocity Missile , Air Defence Alerting Device and a mock-up of the CTAi 40mm cannon.

• Prototype Warriors:
Warriors Oerklion 25mm and Bushmaster 30mm

Warrior-Oerlikon-25mm-892x484
Another proposed upgrade for the warrior to fit it with a new Cockerill turret housing a 25mm Oerlikon gun.
A similar proposed upgrade was to fit the warrior with a new turret housing a 30mm bushmaster gun.

Warrior Thor

A later proposal for the warrior was to equip them with mortars. A drawing of a warrior with an 81mm mortar where the infantry would usually sit was created, but never went further, however a later proposal moved beyond a drawing and into a working version of the Royal Ordnance 120mm breach loading mortar called Thor.

Warrior 90

Warrior had all manner of turrets either proposed or built for demonstration, one of the first, in 1984, was a Cockerill 90mm Mk3 turret, it was also fitted with a 7.62mm coaxial machine gun and smoke dischargers.

Warrior ADATS

The low profile variant of the warrior was used to demonstrate that the warrior could be adapted into a deadly air defence machine, no other Warrior ADATS were created and this one example was never finished.

Warrior HOT

To replace Swingfire-equipped FV438, the warrior was shown with the HOT ATGM, this variant of the warrior had 4 missiles mounted on the 1 man Euromissile Hot Compact Turret and another 14 stored in the hull. This concept did not progress beyond the model stage.

Warrior RO 105mm LR

A proposal to turn the warrior into a light tank. Further research needed.

Warrior 2000

Warrior 2000 was developed as a private venture in response to a Swiss Army requirement. Warrior 2000 was of all aluminium construction and had a range of improvements including better protection, a digital fire control system, an all-round camera system, a more powerful engine, a hydraulic engine deck lift, double pin tracks, reduced thermal and acoustic signature and an electric drive fully stabilised turret fitted with an ATK Bushmaster 30mm automatic cannon.

Warrior Rooikat

With the development of the Warrior 2000 another proposal using this new upgraded warrior hull was created, a warrior 2000 combined with a rooikat’s turret, a mock up was created:

The rooikat turret was also put on a standard warrior hull, and it looks bloody beautiful, if you dont want that in game, there’s something wrong with you.

9 Likes

I probably missed a load but these are the ones i know of, ill edit it if anybody can find some i didnt list

Me want more TES. I need more uselessly heavy tanks that do nothing but look fucking amazing. +1 from me.

I always thought that the warrior Adats would have been a far better alternative to the Canadian Adats. Kinda makes more sense although wasn’t it a prototype for another country and that’s why we didn’t get it?

Also what’s with the warrior Thor? Is that the 76mm or somthing.

It would be a nice addition to the British tree that is still without a top tier IFV, and although this would not be top tier I think it would fit nicely in the gap between the Warrior in game and hopefully the Ajax that will come.

I can 100% see this being 9.0 or 9.3 if it came with the APFSDS-T, more armour, still fast and a better armament, would be similar to the CV9030 and PUMA.

The Warrior Thor, is a warrior that has been fitted with a Royal Ordnance 120mm mortar :P

Warrior ADATS is just a mock up turret on a mock up warrior, if I remember correct

I got basically all the variants from this website which list most if not all warrior prototypes and variants Warrior Armoured Fighting Vehicle - Think Defence

There are a lot more I could of included but chose not to since they were so similar, such as all of the different protection packages you seem to find, such as:

Just slat armour
A composite screen, but slat armour over it as well
The ASPRO backing plate only
The ASPRO backing plate, but with slat armour as well
The CSP with a backing plate
The CSP with Barracuda
The Stealth Desert Warrior
etc

To be honest I would rather that stuff isn’t included on other British AFV models the way it is on Challenger 2 - they just make the vehicle silhouette taller than it needs to be and wouldn’t really be fitted in the kind of combat scenarios depicted in War Thunder.
It was particular to the TES(H) (Theatre Entry Standard (Herrick)) fit because IEDs were the primary threat on Herrick (and the previous UOR fit for op Telic in Iraq with WRAP 2). But it isn’t integral to the nature of TES/OES for other theatres as we see the vehicles now in Northern Europe without the ECM but other TES enhancements like the Driver’s triplex, DVE thermal imager, environmental mitigation system, and modular protection system

Warriors in Sweden, May 2023

2 Likes

CSP is broken

You lie :P

Yes the full TES(H) ECM fit would be redundant in a conventional warfare setting, adding weight and little benefit. From those pictures you can see that the ASPRO-H backing plate has been kept but the ERA blocks have been removed as there is;

A. No actual enemy threat.
B. A (low) risk posed by carrying live ERA.

Likewise the inert ERA blocks seen on ATDU’s Warrior are not used, as they have little training benefit versus simply not installing the blocks at all, and are probably not available in enough quantity to equip a whole unit.

Edit: Note that the new, full-size frontal applique armour is installed on those vehicles, rather than the half-size applique that was originally part of WRAP2.

2 Likes

Yep here’s some
MTIP and TOTATIS

Xena

30mm Bushmaster

Low profile ADATS

RO 105mm LR

Recce 1&2

Warrior-Recce2
90mm
Oerlikon 25mm
Warrior-Oerlikon-25mm-892x484
25mm only desert warrior
Kuwait-Desert-Warrior-892x578.jpg

6 Likes

Yeah a lot of these I didnt add due to being so similar to ones already listed, and some of them I did list.
Ill make sure to add some more of these but some time later, this was just a quick list I did.
Eventually I will be organising them into different categories.

I don’t care how Rapier comes into the game, only that it does…

1 Like

This particular one is with Lockheed’s Warrior CSP technology demonstrator turret, which was simply modified from the RARDEN turret (as was the original plan for Lockheed’s WCSP bid). However, the prototype/production WCSP turret that would have gone in to service, was an all-new turret.

None the less, the vehicles with the production WCSP turret were also equipped to carry ERA with the same modular hull armour arrangement as the in-service Warrior TES/OES
WCSP

1 Like

Ok I see what you mean, took me a while to understand. The name is still accurate, just not the CSP one might think of.

Do you think it would make sense to rename that as Warrior CSP Early? Trying to follow naming gaijin gives vehicles.