Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Thought I’d restore my Tornado thread from the old forum. I’ll improve the formatting later.

Tornado GR.1 / GR.1A / GR.1B

The Tornado GR.1 was the first Tornado version to enter service with the RAF. It entered front line service in 1982, having been in service for training since 1980. It originally entered service with Mk.101 engines (8,700 lb dry / 14,840 lb reheat), but was later upgraded to Mk.103 engines (9,105 lb dry / 16,006 lb reheat).

The Tornado GR.1A was a dedicated reconnaissance version of the GR.1 with the 27 mm cannons being replaced with sideways looking infrared sensors and another forward looking sensor being placed under the fuselage. It also had the capability to carry recognisance pods under the fuselage.

The Tornado GR.1B was a maritime strike version of the GR.1. It was identical to the Tornado GR.1 with the exception that it would carry up to four Sea Eagle sea-skimming anti-ship missiles.

Weapons

• 2 x 27 mm Mauser cannons
  • 2 x AIM-9G / AIM-9L
  • 12 x 1,000 lb free fall or xxxx bomb
  • 12 x BL755 cluster bomb
  • 9 x ALARM anti-radiation missile
  • 2 x JP233
  • 3 x Paveway II Laser Guided Bomb (1,000 lb)
  • 2 x Paveway III Laser Guided Bomb (2,000 lb)
  • 5 x GBU-12 Laser Guided Bomb (500 lb)
  • 1 x TIALD targeting pod
  • 4 x Sea Eagle anti-ship missile (GR.1B only)
  • Possibly 4 x Martel AR / TV missiles (the advance issue aircrew manual mentions these, but I’ve seen no other evidence for a Tornado carrying Martel. It is possible that Martel was planned at one point but later cancelled).
  • 4 x Storm Shadow cruise missile (trials only)
  • 12 x Brimstone missiles (trials only)

Countermeasures

• 1 x BOZ-107 pod (28 flares & 600 chaff) - it seems carrying 2 is possible (so 56 flares & 1,200 chaff total)
  • 1 x Sky Shadow ECM pod

Tornado F.2

The Tornado F.2 was the first version of the Tornado Air Defence Variant (ADV) to enter service with the RAF in late 1984; it was an interim standard lacking several of the Tornado ADVs planned features. Only 18 Tornado F.2s were built and all were removed from service by 1988, following the arrival of the Tornado F.3 in mid-1986.

The Tornado F.2 was fitted with Mk.103 engines, only carried two Sidewinders, and had no automatic wing control. Most famously of all though due to delays with the Foxhunter radar system the F.2 was originally delivered with concrete ballast in place of the radar; only later were F.2s retrofitted with functional radars.

Weapons

• 1 x 27 mm Mauser cannon
  • 4 x Skyflash TEMP missiles
  • 2 x AIM-9G / AIM-9L

Countermeasures
None

Tornado F.3

The Tornado F.3 was the main Air Defence Variant of the Tornado to see service. Compared to the F.2 it had more powerful Mk.104 engines (9,105 lb dry / 16,411 lb reheat), carried up to 4 sidewinder missiles, had a functional radar, and automatic wing control. It initially only had one pylon under each wing.

Before being deployed to the Gulf War the Tornado F.3 was rapidly modified with AN/ALE-40 flare dispensers under the fuselage, and a Phimat Chaff pod replacing on of the Sidewinder missiles, along with radar absorbing material around the intakes and wing leading edges (this apparently dropped its radar cross section by a decent amount). It was also adapted to use AIM-9Li missiles (an AIM-9L with flare resistance built in).

Following the Gulf War the F.3 was modified with Vinten Vicon flare dispensers in place of the AN/ALE-40s (the new dispensers used a bigger flare). It also got the BOL 304 which was a Sidewinder missile rail with an integrated countermeasure dispenser. The BOL was originally a chaff dispenser but was later upgraded to dispense IR decoys.

During the Bosnian War the Tornado F.3 was fitted with a set of outer wing pylons from a Tornado GR.1 allowing it to carry a Towed Radar Decoy Pod and a Phimat Pod (NATO rules required an ECM pod for operation over Bosnia). This set-up was apparently called the “Pig Fit” due to the detrimental impact it had on flight performance. Late in its life the Tornado F.3 was upgraded with ASRAAM and AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles. From what I have read it used the AIM-120B and AIM-120C-5.

A small number of Tornado F.3s were upgraded to become dedicated SEAD aircraft and became known as the “Tornado EF.3”, the main upgrade was the addition of ALARM anti-radiation missiles.

Weapons

• 4 x Skyflash TEMP / Skyflash SuperTEMP / AIM-120B / AIM-120C-5 missiles
  • 4 x AIM-9G / AIM-9L / AIM-9M (limited use only) / AIM-9Li / ASRAAM missiles
  • 2 x ALARM anti-radiation missile (EF.3 only)

Early countermeasures

• 2 x AN/ALE-40 dispensers (30 flares total)
  • 1 x Phimat Pod (210 chaff) in place of a Sidewinder

Late countermeasures

• 2 x Vinten Vicon flare dispensers (32 flares total)
  • 2 x BOL 304 dispensers (320 flares / chaff total)
  • 1 x Phimat Pod (210 chaff) & 1 x Towed Radar Decoy (only when optional outer wing pylons fitted)

Tornado GR.4 / GR.4A

The Tornado GR.4 was the result of a major upgrade program to the GR.1 started in 1994, with the first GR.4 entering service in 1997. The GR.4 included major avionics upgrades, as well as systems such as pilot night vision and forward looking infrared (FLIR). Once in service the weapons load of the GR.4 was continually expanded over time until it was retired in 2019.

The Tornado GR.4A was a Tornado GR.1A upgraded in the same way as the GR.1 was to become the GR.4. By the end of the Tornado’s service life there was apparently no real difference between the Tornado GR.4 and GR.4A aside from the lack of cannons on the latter.

Weapons

• 2 x AIM-9G / AIM-9L / ASRAAM
  • 12 x 1,000 lb free fall or retarded bomb
  • 12 x BL755 cluster bomb
  • 4 x CBU-87 cluster bomb
  • 9 x ALARM anti-radiation missile
  • 2 x JP233
  • 3 x Paveway II Laser Guided Bomb (1,000 lb)
  • 3 x Enhanced Paveway II Laser / GPS Guided Bomb (1,000 lb)
  • 2 x Paveway III Laser Guided Bomb (2,000 lb)
  • 2 x Enhanced Paveway III Laser / GPS Guided Bomb (2,000 lb)
  • 5 x Paveway IV Laser / GPS Guided Bomb (500 lb)
  • 1 x TIALD or Litening III targeting pod
  • 4 x Storm Shadow cruise missile
  • 12 x Brimstone air-to-ground missile (up to 18 carried in testing)
  • 12 x Dual mode Brimstone air-to-ground missile (18 may be possible)

Countermeasures

• 2 x BOL 304 dispensers (320 flares / chaff total)
  • 1 x BOZ-107 pod (28 flares & 600 chaff) - it seems carrying 2 is possible (so 56 flares & 1,200 chaff total)
  • 1 x Sky Shadow ECM pod
  • 1 x TERMA Modular Countermeasures Pod (240 flares / chaff + AN/AAR-57 MAWS)
  • BriteCloud active radar decoys
18 Likes

Well its now my most flown plane;

9 Likes

Pics for eye candy.

I was flying out in this game using pgm 500 at first to try them out. When locking ships, the target tracking centre point was alittle above the ships i was targeting and not on the ship itself. Im not sure if this is reducing its accuracy or effectiveness.

6 Likes

That was a fun sortie.

2 Likes

anyways, hows the tornado performing after la royale? finally worth the grind?

I’d say so, its still a hard plane to fly but the radar is alot less work now and doesn’t hold you back.

1 Like

what about the missiles though? from what ive seen they tempt to just behave like any other sparrow and just self destruct when the target does something that may or may not roughly resemble a notch, even if the radar hasnt lost its lock.

Holding a radar lock isn’t everything about guiding in a Sparrow/Skyflash. The missile its self can still be notched. I personally haven’t had that many issues guiding them in over 1300+ kills.

oh im aware, was just curious if the missiles still self destructed as easily as theyve always done. how does the radar compare to the f14 if it comes to maintaining its lock against a target that has a brain? since theyre both hdn radars in game at least. and im not a fan of the f-14’s radar

Its mucccch better than the F-14 radar thats for sure. They’re both HPRF but the Stage-2G has smaller notch gates and a smaller MBC filter. Also features chaff rejection while in PD HDN mode, you will however lose lock on a notching chaffing target, where as the F-14 radar would lock on to the chaff.

ah, sick. thanks mate, looks like ive found something to waste spend half my summer break on :D

1 Like

No worries hope you have fun in it. My latest video is all with the new Stage-2G radar if that helps you to get an idea;

1:09

1 Like

Oooo… That new radar is awesome… But I feell like SuperTemps went from a decent fox 1 to absolute garbage…

1 Like

PGM is a surprisingly good anti heli weapon 😂

1 Like

You been generating clips I’m hoping?

I think it’s the same for all fox-1 right now. I don’t think it’s specific to the SuperTEMP

Yeah…

For a laugh I took the PGMs out in arcade PVE. You can fire them into bomber formations and take out several aircraft with each one

2 Likes

Hey guys, im trying to get to grips with the pgm 2000. Why are my missiles popping in mid air or making a dive way before target. I have some clips. Also appologies for the voice chat in game.