Panavia Tornado IDS [All Variants] [All Countries] | History - Weapons - Performance - Discussion

Tornado IDS

Description

Spoiler

The Panavia Tornado is a family of [twin-engine] [variable-sweep wing] [multi-role combat aircraft], jointly developed and manufactured by Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany. There are three primary [Tornado variants]: the Tornado IDS interdictor/strike fighter-bomber, the Tornado ECR electronic combat/reconnaissance [SEAD] aircraft and the [Tornado ADV] (air defence variant) [interceptor aircraft].

The Tornado was developed and built by [Panavia Aircraft GmbH], a tri-national consortium consisting of [British Aerospace] previously [British Aircraft Corporation], [MBB] of West Germany, and [Aeritalia] of Italy. It first flew on 14 August 1974 and was introduced into service in 1979–1980. Due to its [multirole] design, it was able to replace several different fleets of aircraft in the adopting air forces. The [Royal Saudi Air Force] (RSAF) became the only export operator of the Tornado, in addition to the three original partner nations. A tri-nation training and evaluation unit operating from [RAF Cottesmore], the [Tri-National Tornado Training Establishment], maintained a level of international co-operation beyond the production stage.

The Tornado was operated by the [Royal Air Force] (RAF), [Italian Air Force], and RSAF during the [Gulf War] of 1991, in which the Tornado conducted many low-altitude penetrating strike missions. The Tornados of various services were also used in the [Bosnian War], [Kosovo War], [Iraq War], in Libya during the [2011 Libyan civil war], as well as smaller roles in Afghanistan, Yemen, and [Syria]. Including all variants, 990 aircraft were built.

Armaments

Spoiler
  • Guns: 1 × 27 mm (1.06 in) [Mauser BK-27] revolver cannon internally mounted under starboard side of fuselage with 180 rounds
  • Hardpoints: 3 × under-fuselage and 4 × under-wing pylon stations with a capacity of 9,000 kg (19,800 lb), with provisions to carry combinations of:
    • Missiles:

• 2 × [AIM-9 Sidewinder] (AIM-9B / AIM-9G / AIM-9L) (GR.1) or [AIM-132 ASRAAM] [air-to-air missiles] for self-defence (GR.4)
      • 12 × [Brimstone] [air-to-surface missile]; or
      • 2 × [Storm Shadow] [cruise missile]
      • 9 × [ALARM] [anti-radiation missile]

• Bombs:

• 5 × 500 lb (230 kg) [Paveway IV]; or
    • 3 × 1,000 lb (450 kg) [(UK Mk 20) Paveway II/Enhanced Paveway II]; or
    • 2 × 2,000 lb (910 kg) [Paveway III (GBU-24)/Enhanced Paveway III (EGBU-24)]; or
    • [BL755] [cluster bombs]; or
    • Up to 2 × [JP233] or [MW-1] munitions dispensers (for runway cratering operations)
    • Up to 4 × [B61] or [WE.177] tactical nuclear weapons
  • Other: Up to 4 × [drop tanks] for ferry flight/extended range/flight time

Photos

Spoiler

Sources

Spoiler

TORNADO ADV (BAe)
Panavia Tornado - Wikipedia
Aerospaceweb.org | Aircraft Museum - Tornado IDS
http://www.tornado-data.com/

1 Like

PS, Made this cause I couldn’t find a Tornado IDS discussion so here it is.

2 Likes

eh we normaly just use the Uk one for any stuff or questions

Since that one has most of the experts etc in it

Well figured that was mostly just UK variants hence the name of the thread so I figured it would be more organized. If not though then mb.

the most specific topics and important ones are flight model countermeasures, which are the same all around.
Specific changes are minimal as well and have been discussed there. Generaly as it currently is the german ones have pretty much anything they can. And any other future thing is pretty well known

Ah ok, mb then. if anyone still wants to use this though they can.

So does anyone know if the Tornado IDS MFG radar only work for tracking ships or can you set it to track aircraft?

All tornados can track aircrafts, they just cant discober them sadly… gajin did a realy bad job/missing implementation of the radar

Well I’m talking about the event Tornado in the German tree. It only picks up ships every time I use it.

Yes scans only ships, but u csn track acm planes to use the gun lead for aircraft, (not recommended tornados aren known to be agile for dogfighting)

Hmm and you’re not able to set it to track ships with other Tornado IDS’s? The other ones have the same radar unit.

Acm is the tracking mode

Bvr is beyond visual range for the ships

Need to have visual range with planes to track zhem

I get that but that’s not what I’m talking about. The radar on the other Tornados don’t scan and you can’t change the mode on the radar to do the same.

No scanning those only can scan ships. The ground radar with ability to scan aircraft is not yet implemented.

If you wanna do that currenrly u need the british interceptor tornado

No you’re not understanding what I’m talking about. Every single Tornado IDS has the same model of radar, yet only this one can track ships. Why can’t all of them track ships if they have the same radar unit?

Because only the mfg has the AS 34 anti ship missles to actualy use them

That their fancy event vehicle feature they got advertised with

Yeah, they all “should” have that ability. But the MFG is the only one with ASMs, therefore, its the only one gaijin deemed needed it. Its kinda a shame to be honest. Not exactly like it creates extra work for them. It already exists. But hoping we may one day actually get the full radar

I don’t understand that though. Having radar that tracks ships is still useful even if you don’t have those missiles and why limit the feature to the rest if they have that ability to do it.

Because Gaijin.

GR1 could probably make use of it to slave the T-Pod and Guide PGMs onto a ship. But yeah its stupid, and they all could get ASMs as well. Gr1 could get Sea Eagles. They just dont want to add them

Is the UK the only ones that Brimstone ATS missiles?