Mouse designated radar lock for 2 seater jets

Would you like 2 seater aircrafts to gain mouse designated radar lock capabilities to simulate RIO/WSO’s operating the radar?
  • Yes!!!
  • No…
0 voters

In real life, 2 seater aircrafts have some advantages and disadvantages compared to their single seat competitors.

The primary advantage 2 seater aircrafts have in real life is the workload separation between the pilot and RIO/WSO, as the pilot can focus on flying while the RIO/WSO can focus on the task of operating complex weapons and sensors accurately in high stress situations.

The primary disadvantage, particularly for aircrafts which only come in 2 seat variants such as the Tornado, F-4, or F-14, is that the jet is physically larger then its contemporaries.

Unfortunately, in WT, only the disadvantages of 2 seater aircrafts are modelled, with no regards for the advantages they posses, leading to them being larger targets, and therefore easier to hit and kill, particularly in close-in air to air engagements.

My suggestion is to allow 2 seater aircrafts a mouse designated radar lock, much like the HMD PD mode found on the MiG-29, but instead of the limited 10km range of the HMD PD, allowing this radar lock to extend to the max range of the radar.
HMD PD on MiG-29

This would allow gaijin to simulate the RIO/WSO working the radar to acquire locks while the pilot is in the process of flying the plane, and would be particularly useful in the current gameplay loop found in WT top tier air battles where much of the combat occurs below 20km, allowing 2 seater aircrafts the ability to acquire and lock targets easier and quicker than their single seat variants, particularly in high stress situations.

Do note, this is NOT a suggestion to give 2 seater aircrafts full HMD capabilities, such as slaving IR missiles to the mouse cursor, if they did not operate HMD’s. This is simply to give a unique advantage to 2 seater aircrafts to simulate the backseater doing his job instead of being a simple passenger with no function as they are currently modelled in WT, by utilizing a game mechanic that already exists.

21 Likes

That’s a very cool idea. Imho it should be something that you can toggle like the HMD, as at longer ranges normal radar keys are more practical to use when selecting a target.

1 Like

This would be an excellent idea tbh would make planes like the F.3 actually capable in close quarters

2 Likes

+1
It would be awesome if RIO/WSO tells something with their own voice just like Jester in DCS.

2 Likes

And how would it work for those on consoles who are more limited with keybinds?

The same way HMD works on console? This isnt suggesting a new mechanic requiring more keybinds, this is suggesting an adaptation of an existing mechanic to emulate RIO/WSO work.

That doesn’t help me per se as I play nothing with HMD but so long as the intent is for all platforms to be able to keybind it then I have no objections.

Effectively, it just works with allowing you to use stuff with free-look. So as long as you have a radar lock button, this wont require any new keybinds, itll just make it a lot easier to radar lock things while maneuvering

1 Like

Actually, there is one advantage - if the pilot is knocked out the RIO can still operate the plane. Have had many instances where it has saved my life.

But yes, gaining boons when having a second pair of eyes on board would be awesome. Not sure if this particular mechanic would ever be implemented but it’s a neat idea.

1 Like

This is only true on some aircrafts. The F-4 has the RIO/WSO modelled as a second pilot, for example, while many aircrafts have him modelled as a gunner and unable to do anything last I checked.

If implemented, then, I suppose the RIO/WSO would get a new “role” befitting of their ability, and a new name in x-ray. Would be neat

2 Likes