Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Thanks!

I’m not sure in the case of the Tornado, but I don’t think it’s as simple as the ramps controlling air flow mass. the ramps are there to create shockwaves and slow down supersonic air before it enters the compressor.

This is about the auxiliary doors, not the ramps no?

Sorry, people were talking about intake ramps further up.

To my knowledge
The whole purpose of variable air intakes is to reduce the speed of airflow to subsonic speeds since jet engines generally do not like supersonic airflow

There were issues with EE Lightnings where engines flamed out due to supersonic airflow because of damage to variable nosecone, that’s why the limit was introduced for them. They could fly faster but for safety reasons weren’t allowed to (IIRC)

On some jets like F-15 you have variable inlet ramps and as seen above from post by @Flame2512, Tornado too has variable inlet ramps
F-16 uses design of intake to produce shockwave which disrupts the airflow and causes it to reduce to subsonic speeds
But I’m not knowledgeable enough on the other matter but I assume if air is less denser at higher altitudes, the drag is reduced, jet flies faster and more air is yet available for jet… Or something like that, I don’t know really.

3 Likes

Figured you british mains and your Tornados might like this, my suggestion for the backseater in 2 seater aircrafts to finally start doingsomething instead of being a complete waste of space was finally open for discussion: Mouse designated radar lock for 2 seater jets

Should make playing the Tornado more ergonomic if it gets approved and implemented ingame :)

6 Likes

Appreciate the effort and optimism, but it isn’t going to happen. Russia doesn’t utilise many two seater jets that would benefit from it.

1 Like

Also something i’ve noticed, what is the RP cost for modules on the Tornado? We’re sat there with 29k RP for 9Ls, a rank 2 mod, and the F-16C has 7Ms at Rank 2 for 17k RP, and 9Ls at 19k RP

How is that fair???

And it’s not as if they’re the only ones who have favoured treatment
The french on the M2K 5F can get their top lineup of missiles for 32k RP, the F-16ADF in US tree gets theirs for 72k, whereas we get ours for 185k RP.
For context, the MiG-29SMT gets it’s missiles all unlocked for 197k RP. and they’re a whole lot better.

Why is this the case? Is there some extra RP requirements because it’s a British end of the line jet?

The more modules to research the cheaper it is

1 Like

The total rp will be roughly the same, more mods is less per mod, fewer mods is more per mod.

1 Like

dear christ, though i still feel its a bit unfair for our decent missiles to be locked at rank 4 of mods whereas on, say the F-16ADF, you can be done by Rank 3 and have researched 4 reasonably cheap mods, whereas our jet needs 6 quite expensive mods. it just doesn’t seem fair, especially given it not really being a “top tier fighter”

again, reason to why alternative A/A platform needed/Tornado ADV should’ve been here sooner

Hi, I’ve got a query about the speed and performance of the F3. The aircraft seems to noticeably brick wall at 1300kpH (IAS) and getting to its top speed is like watching paint dry.

By all accounts the F3 was incredibly quick at low level being its only real strength, pilots frequently reported speeds up to and in excess of 800knots and ingame it will only do that with clean wings and almost no fuel in its tank. The rip speed is pretty high at 1555kpH but will never reach that speed in a straight line, there have been moments where the jet gets stuck at around 1350kpH and I get caught by f5Es and mig 21s which isn’t fun. And again strait line speed at low level is supposed to be the F3s bread and butter,

To me it feels like a bug or an oversight in the flight model but if this is correct to how the F3 should perform I would love to know.

3 Likes

We don’t have combat thrust modelled which will likely explain the excessive speeds commonly quoted. Also bear in mind the common method of achieving such speeds was a climb/dive technique.

2 Likes

Her top speed with 4 SW @19kkg is M1.18 without combat thrust, which is/was achievable in game.

1 Like

on min fuel with clean wings it will peak at 1484kph in a strait line, but getting there takes longer than most other jets and stuff like the MLD will have not trouble catching you? Unless the combat thrust turns it into a rocket like the mig21 and its magical 2 stage burner, In that case its a shame we don’t have that ingame.

1 Like

Do you guys know what this thing is on the pylon?

Where does that image come from? Presumably some sort of video?

It’s hard to tell from that angle, but it may be some form of ACMI / AIS pod:

1 Like

Couldn’t this also just be an ASRAAM dummy (a bad one )at that?

It might be the same thing this EF.3 carrier on the outer pylon (nvm that’s a phimat pod to pointy)

Gorndn

Will never not be eternally envious he got to ride in a F.3

5 Likes