Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

Would you like CVT’s in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Continuously Variable Transmission

What is a CVT?

A Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is a type of automatic transmission that provides seamless acceleration without the usual shifts felt in traditional automatics. Unlike transmissions with fixed gear ratios, a CVT can change its gear ratio continuously over a range of speeds, optimising engine performance and efficiency at any speed. This is achieved through a variety of designs that adjust the transmission’s output in response to driving conditions, allowing the engine to run at its most efficient RPM for a wide range of vehicle speeds.

GearBoxRotRotVar

How do CVTs work?

The general mechanism of a CVT involves two key components regardless of the specific type: a driving element connected to the engine and a driven element connected to the wheels. The connection between these elements is designed to vary the gear ratio dynamically. This is achieved without the distinct gear changes seen in conventional transmissions, offering a smooth transition across a wide range of speeds.

In operation, as the vehicle’s speed and driving conditions change, the CVT continuously adjusts the diameter of the pulleys (in the case of belt and pulley CVTs) or alters the contact points between components (as seen in toroidal CVTs), among other methods in different types of CVTs. This adjustment changes the transmission’s output, allowing the engine to run more efficiently by staying within an ideal RPM range for the given condition.

Types of CVTs

Belt and Pulley CVTs

The most common variant, it uses a belt that runs between two variable-width pulleys. Each pulley can adjust its effective diameter, changing the gear ratio continuously. This design is favoured for its simplicity and efficiency, making it a popular choice in passenger vehicles.

Toroidal CVTs

This design employs a set of discs and power rollers that transmit power by varying the contact points between them. Adjusting the angle of the rollers changes the gear ratio. Toroidal CVTs are known for handling higher torque levels and providing a compact design, though they can be more complex to manufacture and maintain.

Hydrostatic CVTs (HMT)

Hydrostatic transmissions use hydraulic fluids to transmit power. By varying the flow of fluid through a system of pumps and motors, they can continuously change output speed and torque. This type is especially suited for heavy-duty applications like agricultural machinery due to its durability and ability to manage high loads.

Variable Diameter Pulley CVTs (VDP)

Similar to belt and pulley systems but utilises different mechanisms for adjusting the pulleys’ sizes. These are less common and are used in specific industrial or automotive applications where unique solutions to power transmission are required.

Magnetic CVTs

A relatively new and experimental design, magnetic CVTs use magnetic fields to transfer power without physical contact. By adjusting the magnetic field’s intensity, the transmission alters the output speed and torque. This design promises lower maintenance and wear due to the lack of direct contact between moving parts.

What effects will it have in the game?

The introduction of Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVTs) in War Thunder, currently exclusive to the Type 10, offers a glimpse into future vehicle performance enhancements. Vehicles with advanced transmission systems, like CVTs, can achieve significantly higher mobility levels. For example, despite having 300 less horsepower than the Type 90, the Type 10 boasts superior mobility thanks to its HMT system. This highlights the potential for future vehicles to leverage advanced transmissions for improved manoeuvrability and tactical advantages on the battlefield, setting a new standard for vehicle performance in-game.

If CVTs turn out to be too complex to be added just for one or two vehicles, a compromise might be to artificially increase the HP or other aspects of the engine and transmission to attempt to mimic the effects of the CVT.

Bug reports

Increase engine horsepower of type 10 to 1333 hp

Pictures & Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ci-xZR8kz8&ab_channel=I_NAMELESS_I

7r5m7nk2cu581

Sources

How CVTs Work | HowStuffWorks

CVT efficiency (archive.org)

XTRONIC CVT | Innovation | (nissan-global.com)

03マツダ技報29本文-h1-01-1案0620 (mazda.com)

20 Likes

+1 Type10 must have HMT!!

8 Likes

+1 The PUMA would also benefit from this

2 Likes

+1 Type 10 needs this

7 Likes

+1 type 10 go zooom

1 Like

+1

Would be nice to add list of ingame vehicles that have CVT.

1 Like

I belive the only vehicle that truley uses a CVT is the type 10 for now. Mainly due to how complex and expensive they are.

So basically the devs can either buff the engine to match real life performance or work on adding this feature. If I were them, I’d just buff the engines and slowly work on adding this then when ready I can just bring engine power to normal and add this to tanks that use it. Thats just me, but yea, Type 10 really needs this.

5 Likes

This should already be in the game, I don’t see any reason to not add CVTs and if gaijian didn’t give type 10 its correct mobility due to concerns over balance they should say so and not hold a tank back artificially.

3 Likes

Cool video showing CVT from _N4MELESS

There is no chance that they will add it, Russia has the worst gear ratio in tanks etc, if NATO got such an advantage then gaijn would not be able to withstand it, just look at the spall liners, they appeared only when Russia where in irl they had them, and vehicles lower on leopard 1 did not and will not get because Russia does not have them.

It is one tank, in one minor nation (that isnt even in nato). I doubt it would change top tier much because the max speed is still 70 km/h

1 Like

NATO already has advantage over the Soviets in-game, and have for half a decade.
Leopard 2A5+ also isn’t Russian in reference to your spall liner content.
Any responses can be directed to my DMs.

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

5 Likes