JGSDF Type10 Tank/10式戦車

Description
The Type 10 tank is a tank of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force that has been equipped to troops since 2011.
As for firepower, it is equipped with a purely domestic 120mm tank gun that is lighter and has a higher lumen pressure than the Type 90 tank, based on the domestic technology accumulated from the development and mass production of the Type 90 tank and the technology acquired through licensed production, and is capable of firing the new 120mm armor-piercing shell, also purely domestic, developed simultaneously with the gun. The new 120mm tank gun is lighter and has a higher lumen pressure than the conventional 120mm tank gun. The equipment related to the firing system has also been modernized, and the accuracy of ballistic calculations and turret stability has been improved, resulting in improved accuracy in hitting the target.
Type 10 tanks are sometimes said to have less defense because they are lighter than Type 90 tanks, but this is not true. In fact, its composite armor is 1.2 times that of a Type 90 tank.
The power pack, which is responsible for mobility, consists of a 1200 hp liquid-cooled 8-cylinder diesel engine and a hydraulic-mechanical stepless automatic transmission, pursuing high efficiency and high responsiveness. The suspension system is of the all-hydraulic-pressure type with five legs on each side, and is designed for driving performance over rough terrain.
By the end of FY2023, 123 vehicles have been acquired, and a total of 350 vehicles will be procured.

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZ8dY06Cdo

Armament
◎Main gun:120mm L44 Type10 Tank Gun

Spoiler

“防衛生産員会特報 285 「10式戦車と今後の戦車製造の態勢」”

・Ammunition[Type10 APFSDS,JM33 APFSDS,Type00 TPFSDS,JM-12A1 HEAT-MP)

Spoiler

Type10 APFSDS

Type00 TPFSDS

JM-12A1 HEAT-MP

◎Coaxial machine gun:Type74 7.62mm machine gun
◎machine gun:M2HB 12.7mm machine gun

Maneuverability
◎Engine:Mitsubishi 8VA 1200hp 4-cycle water-cooled diesel engine
・Size: length 1.21m, width 1.22m, height 0.88m
・Dry weight: 1816kg
・Displacement: 22.6 liters

" 防衛生産員会特報 285 「10式戦車と今後の戦車製造の態勢」"

Spoiler

Type 10 tanks (8VA engine) employs variable technology (variable nozzle exhaust turbo turbocharger and electronically controlled unit injector) to achieve both high-speed and low-mid-speed engine performance, a technical issue associated with high power density. and electronically controlled unit injectors). In addition, the 8VA engine not only further advances the high power density of the engine itself, which has been promoted in conventional tank engines, but also aims to reduce the size and weight of the entire power unit and the tank as a whole. The engine system has been changed to a four-stroke system to achieve both high power output and low fuel consumption, as well as a smaller cooling system for the power unit and a smaller fuel tank for the vehicle.

◎Transmission:Mitsubishi MT1200 Hydro-Mechanical Transmission
・Size: length 1.305m, width 1.426m, height 0.772m
・Dry weight: 1650kg
・steering style:Hydrostatic and hydraulic dual actuation type
・Braking system:Hydraulic actuated wet type multi-disc

Spoiler

One of the advantages of a stepless transmission is that it allows continuous operation at the high power point of the engine.
Taking starting acceleration as an example, in a multi-step transmission, it is necessary to lower the engine speed to a speed corresponding to the reduction ratio each time the gear is shifted (shifted up). This means that the engine output, which was operating at a high output point, is reduced once, and this appears as a seam in the acceleration.
On the other hand, in the case of a stepless transmission, the vehicle speed can be continuously changed by changing the reduction ratio while keeping the engine speed constant, thus enabling continuous trial operation at the high output point of the engine. This allows for better acceleration than with a multi-stage transmission.
The ability to use the engine’s high output point regardless of vehicle speed also contributes to improved turning performance, as it allows a large amount of power to be allocated to turning at any vehicle speed.

◎Max Speed:~70km/h

Dimensions
◎Length:9485mm
◎Width:3240mm
◎Height:2915mm
◎Weight:44.4t

Crew
◎Commander/車長
◎Gunner/砲手
◎Driver/操縦手

Features
◎8x 76mm Smoke Granades
◎Laser Rangefineder
◎4x AN/AVR-2 Laser Warning Receiver

FCS
◎Gunner Sight:4×-13.3×-26.7×
◎Commander Sight:4×-13.3×-26.7×
◎It is possible to lock on to a target and automatically take deviation
◎Multiple targets can be locked at the same time

Spoiler

Multi-target tracking is a function that simultaneously tracks multiple targets on the screen. While one target is being tracked, other targets on the screen are also simultaneously image tracked. This allows the next target to be sighted in quickly when a target is destroyed. In addition, target information during tracking is shared via data link as command and control information.

APU
◎Equipment can be operated even when the engine is stopped.

Armor

Spoiler

将来戦闘車両基礎技術の研究(耐弾構造構成要素)

Spoiler

ア 目的
将来の戦車用装甲防護に必要な各種耐弾構造構成要素に関する技術資料を得る。

イ 経緯
各国で装備される対戦闘車両用の火力の性能は著しく向上しつつあるため、将来の戦闘車両ではこのような火力に対処できる耐弾性に優れた装甲システムが強く要望されるものと予想される。従って、対戦闘車両用の火器・弾薬、ミサイル等の威力向上及び攻撃方法の多様化に対処するため、装甲の構成要素技術である防弾鋼、反応装甲、特殊装甲及び上面用軽量対談構造について、耐弾性向上の観点から研究を進めておく必要がある。
このような観点に基づき、本研究は開始された。

昭和60年~62年 耐弾構造構成要素の研究(所研)
「防弾鋼、反応装甲、特殊装甲及び上面用軽量耐弾構造」

戦闘車両用の主要装甲である防弾鋼については、
昭和63年~64年 耐弾構造構成要素の研究試作及び所内試験
「結晶粒微細化防弾鋼の試作とこれに対する20、35mm APDS及び105mmAPFSDSによる耐弾性の評価」
平成4年~5年 耐弾構造構成要素(その3)の研究試作及び所内試験
「3重高度防弾鋼の試作とこれに対する20、35mm APDS及び105mmAPFSDSによる耐弾性の評価」

成形さく薬対処を目的とした反応装甲については、
昭和63年~64年 耐弾構造構成要素の研究試作及び所内試験
「中口径対処用構造の試作とこれに対する84mm成形さく薬弾による耐弾性の評価」
平成2年~3年 耐弾構造構成要素(その2)の研究試作及び所内試験
「大口径対処用構造の試作とこれに対する110及び150mm成形さく薬弾による耐弾性の評価」

戦車の装甲要部を目的とした特殊装甲については、
平成2年~3年 耐弾構造構成要素(その2)の研究試作及び所内試験
「積層、空間及び動的要素構造の試作とこれに対する120mmHEAT-MPと120mmAPFSDS模擬ミニチュア弾(前者は静爆、後者は射撃)による耐弾性の評価」
平成4年~5年 耐弾構造構成要素(その3)の研究試作及び所内試験
「積層、空間及び動的要素構造の試作とこれに対する120mmHEAT-MP(静爆)と120mmAPFSDS(射撃)による耐弾性の評価」
平成7年~9年 耐弾構造構成要素(その4)の研究試作及び所内試験
「120mmHEAT-MP弾及び120mmAPFSDSの実弾を対象とした複合積層構造を有する箱型構造標的の試作とこれに対する実弾による耐弾性の評価」

自己鍛造破片弾によるトップアタック対処を目的とした上面用軽量耐弾構造については。
平成1年~2年 上面用軽量耐弾構造(その1)の研究試作及び所内試験
「基本構造の試作とこれに対する模擬自己鍛造破片弾による耐弾性の評価」
平成3年~4年 上面用軽量耐弾構造(その2)の研究試作及び所内試験
「各種構造の試作とこれに対する70mm自己鍛造破片弾による耐弾性の評価」

ウ 結果
これらの一連の研究の結果、次のような成果を得た。
防弾鋼については、90式戦車用の新防弾鋼よりも耐弾性が優れ、溶接性良好な結晶粒微細化防弾鋼と3重硬度防弾鋼、反応装甲については、中口径及び大口径成形さく薬弾に有効に対処できる構造様式、特殊装甲については、大幅な性能向上が可能な構造様式について把握した。上面用軽量耐弾構造については、事故他鍛造破片弾に有効に対処できる構造様式についての見通しを得ることができた。

エ 特記事項
本研究試作で得られた特殊装甲の成果は、新戦車のモジュール装甲の設計に反映されている。

Other

NDS Z0011 states that the bullet resistance test for armored vehicles is usually below 250m.(防衛庁規格 装甲の耐弾性試験方法通則 NDS Z0011)

p.77 of this document states that 30mm armor-piercing rounds were procured from RWM Schweiz for bulletproof testing of Type 10 tanks.
(平成17年度 所管公益法人等との間で締結された随意契約の緊急点検結果等について(防衛本省))

According to the 公共調達の適正化について(平成18年8月25日付財計第2017号)に基づく随意契約に係る情報の公表(物品役務等), To test the frontal armor, a 120mm Type IV gun was used to fire a 120mm Type IV APFSDS at a distance of 250m(陸上装備研究所 物品役務(随意契約) 平成18年10月)

Type IV APFSDS is 640 MPa, as is the Type 10 APFSDS

・Bulletproof steel for Type10 tank(結晶粒微細化防弾鋼板の開発)

In this video, a MHI engineer says, “The Type 10 tank has excellent protection against any shell from any tank in the world that would fly at it, not destroying it or penetrating it.”

NVD
◎Commander:Thermal Imager
◎Gunner:Thermal Imager
◎Driver: Thermal Imager

Prototype
Prototype Phase Ⅱ/試作(その2)
120mm架台砲Ⅱ型

Prototype Phase Ⅲ/試作(その3)
Prototype 95-4001
It is the only Type 10 tank with six rolling wheels.

Spoiler

Prototype Phase Ⅳ/試作(その4)
Prototype 99-0214

Spoiler

Prototype PhaseⅤ/試作(その5)

Prototype #1 99-0237
Preserved at Rikkun land.

Spoiler

Prototype #2 99-0238
Preserved at Tsuchiura Garrison.

Spoiler

Prototype #3 99-0239
Dozer (1.5t) can be attached
Preserved at Fuji Garrison.

Spoiler

n230301p
md205000

Prototype #4 99-0240
Type92 Minefield treatment rollers can be attached

Spoiler

Type11 tracked vehicle recovery vehicle/11式装軌車回収車

Description
Type11 tracked vehicle recovery vehicle is based on Type10 Tank

Spoiler

Armament
◎machine gun:M2HB 12.7mm machine gun

Maneuverability
◎Engine:Mitsubishi 8VA 1200hp 4-cycle water-cooled diesel engine
・Size: length 1.21m, width 1.22m, height 0.88m
・Dry weight: 1816kg
・Displacement: 22.6 liters
◎Transmission:Mitsubishi MT1200 Hydro-Mechanical Transmission
・Size: length 1.305m, width 1.426m, height 0.772m
・Dry weight: 1650kg
・steering style:Hydrostatic and hydraulic dual actuation type
・Braking system:Hydraulic actuated wet type multi-disc
◎Max Speed:~70km/h

Dimensions
◎Length:9110mm
◎Width:3430mm
◎Height:2660mm
◎Weight:43.8t

Crew
◎Commander/車長
◎Mechanic/整備手 ×2
◎Driver/操縦手

Features
◎8x 76mm Smoke Granades
◎2x AN/AVR-2 Laser Warning Receiver

NVD
◎Commander:N/A
◎Mechanic:N/A
◎Driver:Thermal Imager

Prototype
Prototype 99-???

Suggestions

Discussion

Bug report list

Spoiler

Not applied
Add “99-0239” number to TK-X
TKX&TKX(P) upper turret modeling bug
Blow out panels do not open(Reported by JoshX9706)

acknowledged
Suspension
・driver thermal imaging camera(Reported by David Bowie)
Steering Bug(Reported by N4MELESS)
Wrong Powerpack Model(Reported by N4MELESS)

fixed
TK-X need non-slip coating
headlight grille

Submitted as a suggestion
Hull Armor
hull composite armor
Increase engine horsepower to 1333 hp
Type 10 MBT’s Inconsistencies, Thickness and Composition(Reported by Drag0oon)
Turret Basket(Reported by Mikuzume)

Not applied
Type 10 should rotate at 45-47 degrees/sec(Reported by JoshX9706)

Other information

Spoiler

Type10 Technologies

Type10 development

Type10 prototype#4 test Rubber Tracks
1407_3_img2
1407_3_img1
1407_3_img3

Type10 Hydro Suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwHLkLqg4pI

Sources
◎Web Sources
10式戦車 - Wikipedia
制式化から10年 陸自最新「10式戦車」の現状 知られざる「自衛隊以外」の配備先も | 乗りものニュース
千葉銀鳩の備忘録 : 【軍事】10式戦車の装甲の防護力について
・「新戦車」に関する外部評価委員会の概要
基本設計終了時点
試作・技術試験中間時点)
試作終了・技術試験中間時点
技術試験終了時点
https://rikuzi-chousadan.com/
◎JGSDF Specifications
・GV-Y120001E 10式戦車
・GV-Y120002C 11式装軌車回収車
・GW-Y120011E 120mm戦車砲砲座付き(10式戦車用)
・GAM-Y720002D 10式120mm装弾筒付翼安定徹甲弾
(from x.com)
◎Other
・防衛生産委員会特報 285 10式戦車と今後の戦車製造の態勢
・防衛技術ジャーナル 2012年3月号 No.372 [10式戦車の技術試験/戦車の変速操向機]

This article is still incomplete. Please contact @tanuki10 if you would like me to add anything or if you need any corrections.

15 Likes

Weight table between Type 10 and Type 90

1 Like

Old forum Type 10 thread, there is a lot of info there that can be moved
Type-10 Hitomaru - General & Upcoming - War Thunder - Official Forum

Any way hoping to eventually see a acceleration fix or adjustment for the Type 10 in the future.

3 Likes

That, and also the armor.

3 Likes

Im not knowledgeable much when it comes to tanks armor so im not sure how bad or good is the Type 10s armor in wt.

Currently its armor is in a sad state for a 4th generation MBT. It should be able to stop its own round to the turret, mantlet, and upper hull armor but it fails to do that in game. It’s plagued with armor holes and is, in some places, completely missing armor altogether. It also doesn’t have the special nano crystalline steel developed for all the strike faces which I believe was about 2x more effective than normal RHA.

We also have none of the armor upgrade packages as to my knowledge none have been publicly revealed.

Sadly, just another addition to the long list of inaccuracies.

12 Likes

Last I heard was that the bug reports for it got dismissed a long time ago, something about Japanese testing methods are not consistent with US standards blablabla…

Essentially, they ain’t giving a rats ass about what the Japanese MoD claim.

Unsurprising, they’re previously claimed that the Japanese MoD conducted their armor penetration tests “wrong” whatever that means.

I know we should have expected this kinda treatment but man it seems like just about every aspect of this tank has something wrong with it. They couldn’t even get its mobility right and that’s arguably one of its best features.

2 Likes

I feel that we have almost run out of information on Formula 10. There may be hope, though, if time passes. The rest depends on how gaijin feels.
If gaijin thinks he is right in pointing out the large gap between the current turret composite armor and the mantlet, it will be difficult to correct. If you ask him if there is a modern tank that makes a gap in the front of the turret where the probability of being hit is generally high, he can’t do anything if you ask him to provide documentation. The government will have to disclose all the data or put the tanks into actual combat to correct the situation.
But this is impossible in Japan, where information disclosure is scarce.

Everything in this game that is not Russian or their ally China is not properly modeled. Why would they? They need to be superior in this game.

You never see someone arguing on the forums that Russian top-tier tanks need to be buffed and there is a reason for that.

Hopefully one day with posts like this ‘‘minor nations’’ will stop having glass cannons at the top tier.

2 Likes

Been playing this again recently and it seems the Type 10 APFSDS doesn’t do much damage post pen.

Anyone else notice this compared to other darts?

1 Like

I’ve been grinding extensively recently not sure if its tied to just the Type 10 but overall i noticed while playing XM-1 and Type 10 also Type 74 and Type 16 sometimes very poor post pen damage.

1 Like

I definitely tear through my 14/15 allocated shells when using type 10 APFSDS.

It seems to spall worse than other shells in my experience, but I don’t hear people talking about that often.

I’ve also been having issues with M735 on type 16.

It’s been a while since I’ve used JM33(?) on anything so I can’t comment on that as much.

1 Like

I hit and penned a BVM 5 times today all around the breach/neck area and the round refused to spall on the left side and hit the commander.

Meanwhile yesterday I got the roof armor in front of the commander penned and it somehow spalled over and killed my gunner too.

1 Like

My Type 10 round spalled on a T-80 just fine last night, but I also hit its side armor.

I believe the vehicle hull composite armor currently implemented in warthunder is upside down and wrong.

A is the composite armor currently implemented in warthunder
・The cover that is attached to the top of the composite armor is bolted in six positions in the red, so it has nothing to do with the yellow-green bolt holes. In case A, the blue bolt holes do not appear to be in position with the yellow-green bolt holes. Even if they were in position, it is unlikely because there would be three extra yellow-green bolt holes.
A

B is the form of composite armor I am considering.
・I think I have most of the bolt holes in the right place.(I don’t know if I’m right about the yellow bolt.)
B1
B
Which do you all think is right?

• A
  • B
0 voters

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/kQqIQV7OP7Uw

6 Likes

That interesting so its upside down and the front should be repositioned to the back?

1 Like

Yes. To adjust, it is necessary to reverse the top and bottom, swap the front and back, and adjust the shape.

1 Like

Dang how do we even go about to bug report this?

1 Like