PLAAF General Discussion

PLAAF General Discussion

Welcome to the PLAAF General Discussion Thread. Feel free to post, comment and suggest any PLAAF related content.

Content can freely vary from WW2 era to modern day, just make sure to keep this space civilized and on topic

Top Chinese sub-threads:
Sino-Flankers
J-10 Discussion
Sino-Missiles
JH7A Discussion

I’ll leave here a couple of useful links that can be used for discussion or checking thermals/equipment:

Check here to see the active suggestions for the Chinese Air Tech Tree:
Chinese Air Tech Tree Suggestions

Check here to see thermals:
Thermals

Check here to see Unused WT assets:
Unused Assets

Check here to join the Sino-military discord:
Sino-Military Research Project discord

PLAAF photo dump

Spoiler
J-6

J-7

J-8 I "Finback"

J-8 II "Finback"

J-10 "Vigorous dragon 猛龙"

"Russian" Sino-Flankers

J-11 "Responsive Dragon 应龙"

J-15 "Flying Shark 飞鯊"

J-16 "Divine Dragon 潜龙"

J-16D

e455ab157ad77d58be40e45f6f507cc5cc21158c_2_1000x657

J-20 "Mighty Dragon 威龙"

J-35

Nanchang Q-5

JH7A

Harbin H-5

Xian H-6

Y-20/YY-20

JL-10

If you feel like i should add anything to the description please DM me.

11 Likes

PLAAF has a long future ahead of it, I look forward to seeing USSR relics become competent, modernized, rivals of US/NATO jets.

EFT vs J-16B vs F-15C (late) will be legendary!

We shall paint the sky red with missile diamonds!

I think this should be moved to machinery of war discussion. Btw add this thread in the description Chinese Air-To-Air missiles, History, Performance & Discussion
Please use spoiler for photo dump

1 Like

The link is already there, implemented the other changes.

1 Like

Is there any chance of seeing the Nanchang Q-6? At least one wind tunnel model was made.
This thing is like a mix of F-16 and MiG 23

2 Likes

A large number of Chinese aircraft are equipped with AESA and advanced air-to-air missiles. In the future, they will be able to confront NATO. Russia still does not have these and is easily crushed by NATO.

There are plenty of Designs that didn’t see the light of the day, i wonder what the policy would be around them from Gaijin, i see them adding stuff like the Berkut since it did fly but we also have fictional planes in the JP tech tree, maybe we will see this as an event vehicle.

The J-9 could be one of these too:

2 Likes

Look at that tail number lol

1 Like

There is not enough work put into it (no prototype) to be added.

We could see J-35s train with the Fujian later this year since the sea trials seem to progress at a faster pace compared to what people expected:

Spoiler

x.com

So we might see some interesting stuff at the Zhuhai airshow later this year.
Also some pics here:

Spoiler

2 Likes

Is this thing same as FC-31?

No.
AFAIK we know about 3 versions of this fifth gen:
J-35: procured for the PLAN since is a carrier born fighter, it has enlarged wings and other differences compared to the other two versions.
J-31: There isn’t too much info on this, it was supposed to be a land version but it seems that China preferred investing in the Sea version first. There’s also some confusion since some people believe the FC-31 project simply got renamed J-31, and once again we don’t really know too much.
FC-31: This one is supposed to be the export version of the plane, but it was a prototype and once again we don’t have too much info on it. Just by looking at photos you can easily spot the differences between this and the J-35.
Photos:

Spoiler

3 Likes

Oh, thats looks lovely.
For that one i even would buy A-5C for grind.

J-16 dispensers:

Spoiler

IMG_7234

J-20 dispensers, apparently the picture with the covers off is an earlier production model and the one with the covers is instead a later model:

Spoiler

IMG_7233

IMG_7232

1 Like

Looks to be the same amount of flare count as found on the J-11A, might be rough when the J-16 does get introduces unless it has any form of additional countermeasures somewhere else.

I’ll check later if I can find any info on that.
Maybe I can find something about flare/chaff pods.

Can anybody do some testing to see how the new fox 3s work and in particular the PL-12?

1 Like

Some photos of the J-11BS:

Spoiler

1 Like

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/AsF0ZyFdjWXg
PL-8 modeling

1 Like