Is the Tornado GR.1 worth it?

Yeah I find it annoying that the F-4J doesn’t get IFF on PDV but it is definitely workable, I just don’t use PDV in simulator because of that. But sometimes I don’t even make it to a base, because stupid premium players don’t know how IFF works.

I certainly don’t have a problem outmaneuvering and killing enemy players (When I’m in EC8) but it just leaves me with too little fuel to hit the base and make it back.

Last weekend I died 11 times in EC8. 9 of those were to friendlies :|

Yeah, I use to play the FGR2, back when it was the only jet with PD. I got a few TKs, but if you were paying attention to the map and what was going on, it was a deadly combo. And then the Viggen and later Mig-23s came along that could sit in PD all day long without any care in the world and it just wasnt worth it anymore. Started base bombing in teh Jaguar Gr1A.

I feel like they really need to explain radar mechanics better and actually list what modes have IFF or not somewhere. Too many people message “how do I know who is friend or foe on the radar”

I think they need tutorials for things like

• Air to air missiles
  • Air to ground missiles
  • Radar modes/IFF
  • MEC
  • How to recover from spins (I find this is a big problem with the player base in low tier)

I am also wondering if it would be better to spade the FGR.2 in sim or ARB because in ARB I’m going to die either way (With only having 9D) and in sim I’m not going to be able to get many rewards because I am locked to air to air until I get bombs.

Definetly, a lot things have no explanation in-game. Even things like CCRP have no in-game tutorial.

I’d say ARB, if nothing else, you can gun fight a lot easier in that, at least till you get bombs.

I don’t even know how to use CCRP in sim, I only use the CCIP (or just eyeball it).

Alright I’ll try ARB, at least I get flares by default now, it’s nice the FGR.2 gets 90 flares as opposed to the J’s 60

“Heres one I made earlier” :P

Though, the F4s have basically no CCRP interface. So CCIP is just a lot easier. CCRP In the Tornado Gr1 and Jaguars/Harriers. Even the Buc has a half decent CCRP interface can be a lot of fun

Yeah, its things like that that make no sense. Would figure they have the same CM count. I cant wait for the Gr1 to get its full CM loadout. 56 CMs, is really sad, especially if you want to have both flares and chaff

Yeah I might have to read that CCRP guide, also you mentioned the Buc has it, so do you recommend me using that? Because I can take quite a lot of bombs on that thing. I could likely get 3-4 bases in one run (if I did math properly)

Also yeah it would be nice for the Tornado to get it’s full CMs, but I reckon that will come next year if not later. For me, I barely run chaff for I have more use in flares, I stick to the deck most of the time anyway, so no radar missiles will get me.

I personally prefer the GR.7 for GRB, but if you want to play the 11.3 challengers without the slight uptier I guess the Tornado GR.1 would be worthwhile…

Pre-HP changes

You “could” hit 3 bases (Wing bombs are twin release, internal single release, so you could drop 4 bombs on 3 bases and then swing round and drop a 5th bomb per base) in the Buc. but I’d recommend more like 2 bases and a part of a third (6, 6, 4). With the HP changes no, it’s might be more like 2.

Its definetly an option, you’d also get the 10% RP bonus when researching the Gr1. Though the overall RP/SL boost from flying a premium is probably worth more. The Buc can be really fun, though you have to be really gentle on the stick. The wings are held on with duct tape and chewing gum.

Though sitting at that lower BR, you have to deal with aircraft with radars and you can be more sneaky

Sorry but I don’t play GRB, and I was wondering for simulator air.

Air Simulator battles. So challengers not really relevant :P

Though Gr7 is a good jet even in ASB.

Yeah, I think I might just stick to the Phantom for now, it brings me more SL as well.

Yeah, low repair costs and high SL gains make it great for passive grinding SLs, and you need a lot if you want to buy the Gr1 and F3 in the near future.

Sorry I didn’t see this topic was in simulator battles.

The Tornado has the speed to get around sim maps, and the fuel for sustained afterburner usage.
For air sim I would presume the Phantoms would be your best bet for multirole fighter-bomber usage. I would only use the Tornado over it if you want to go full bomb-truck mode whilst still having some ability to defend yourself in the air.

Definitely a better choice now you mention the spawn cost, In a 2 hour match I got 150k SL and 30,000 RP, I know I probably would have made more in ARB, but I would’ve gotten more frustrated

Yeah, I’ve just always loved the Tornado and was wondering if it would help me grind the rest of the British tree (as well as in future)

You mentioned you have the F-4J(UK) - as a premium nothing will come close to that in terms of how quickly you can grind the tree (and also how much SL you’ll make doing it).

Yeah, thats why I favour ASB. I hate the spawn, isntant melee then either die or start again. I like the slower pace in ASB. I have time to think. Though the recent spawn cost nerfs have helped a lot. Buc use to be 33k to spawn. You’d have to stay alive for something like 18 miniutes to break even, so that was 2 full sorties.

Die a few times and you’d go broke. Now its a LOT more reasonable. If you are base bombing and being smart about it, you can always turn a profit

Oh yeah I get that, but the Tornado is rank 8, so when rank 9 comes out (as I am sure it will) I won’t be able to use the Phantom

Yeah definitely, and would it be worth playing with a squaddie to get the teamwork bonus? Or is that just not worth it.