Is It Time For More Top Tier Modern MBTs?

Honestly, it would be hilarious if they had the courage to implement a 67 ton SEPv3 without any kind of armor improvements.

Even with the numerous weight-saving measures taken on every new Abrams iteration, they keep getting heavier and heavier… I wonder what could possibly be causing this?

1 Like

More like par for the course so far, but eh.

Most I’d expect armor wise on the SEPv3 is maybe slightly thicker turret armor since the turret did see a LoS-thickness increase if I remember my research earlier in the year correctly. Whether they bother with that is an entirely different matter.

Yeah…

I also love how even on SEPv3 prototypes you can see them using weight simulators on the hull, to simulate the increased weight of the improved armor packages, but… I guess they did it for the fun of it lmao

4 Likes

You just jumped to that conclusion without any basis for it.
The M1E1 had weight simulators, yet we know for a fact that it did not feature improved armour over the IPM1.

Weight simulators simulate increased weight (shocking, I know), but to act as though weight can only come from increased armour protection is nonsensical.

Just a casual glance at some of the less exciting and less talked about additions the SEP received shows that each itteration includes a whole host of additions that increase weight which aren’t related to armour.

• Embedded Battle Command (EBC)
  • Turret cable ballistic protection
  • Ammo door latch mechanism
  • Improved gunner’s station and battlefield override
  • NBC Fire Warning System (NBCFW)
  • New hand-held fire extinguishers
  • Battlefield Combat Identification System (BCIS)
  • Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver (PLGR)
  • Vehicle Intercommunications System (VIS)
  • External Auxiliary Power Unit (EAPU)

Some systems being added to the turret also require additional weight in the form of ballast to be added for the turret drives (I.E. Trophy APS), and I wouldn’t be surprised if this all starts to add up into insignificant weight gains.

Obviously I’m well aware that the SEP v3 features improvements in protection, even the M1A2 SEP featured improvements in turret side armour protection against chemical munitions, but to claim that: Weight Simulators -equals- Better Armour is far-fetched.

@SPANISH_AVENGER do you have any idea why this side armor isn’t modeled in the game?
It purpose is to add tons of armor and increase its survivability.

As you said, this is M1A2 to M1A2 SEP.

Which means, all those enormous weight simulators on SEPv2 to simulate the weight increase to SEPv3 does not include any of those features.

That’s just the exterior turret stowage IIRC, not actual armor plating.

No, obviously.

But you’re not seriously implying that the SEP v3 features literally no other improvements other than armour, right?
The SEP v3 will have a whole host of additions to it’s systems just like the M1A2 SEP did before it.

The current M1A2 platform has reached it’s maximum weight limitation and therefore reached a ceiling in terms of upgradability.
That’s why the M1E3 program is now underway, which aims to bring the M1 platform back to much lower weight so that it offers new upgrade potential.

SEPv3 is 3 tons heavier than SEPv2, which is 2 tons heavier than SEP, which is 1 ton heavier than A2.

Basically, there’s a 6 ton difference between A2 and SEPv3, and that’s taking into account the ~3 tons saved from the weight saving measures.

There’s only so much new or additional electronics can weight… and I seriously doubt there’s 3 extra tons of electronics from SEPv2 to SEPv3 when most of the additional weight from A2 to SEPv2 was electronics already (and again, in spite of the weight saving measures).

1 Like

heres some SPAA

USA: Hisar-A(15km Range) + C&P Libyan Pantsir(18km Range)
Germany: IRIS-T System (25km Range)
China: HQ-17 (15km Range) + HQ-17A FM-2000 (30km Range)
Israel: HVSD/ADAMS (12km Range) + Spyder AA (20km Range)
Sweden: IRIS-T System (25km Range) + NASAMS HML (30km Range)
Italy: CAMM (25km Range) + Draco w/ DART
UK: MMEV (25km Range) + CAMM (25km Range) + Sky Sabre/Land Ceptor(25km Range)
France: Crotale Mk3 VT-1 Missile (16km Range)
Russia: Pantsir S2 (30km Range)

Edit: IRIS-T SLS (~12km Range). IRIS-T SLM (~40km Range)

2 Likes

We definetly do not need another Pantsir.

1 Like

Why is USA getting a Libyan vehicle?

1 Like

It was a suggestion.

America captured a Libyan Pantsir and used it for testing.

America doesn’t have a good SPAA equivalent to add since they jump straight to SLAMRAAMS and Patriot. Which are both to early for player controlled vehicles. Even the Hisar is Turkish IIRC.

1 Like

So its a new Swedish T-80? No thanks.

1 Like

I think the BR’s just need to be spread accordingly and features, like the ballistic computer, implemented, that make newer tanks stronger.
Time wise the tanks already are quite a bit more modern than the planes

Auto track for tanks?

I might be confusing and remembering wrong but there was weight saving initiative where they replaced a lot of the older copper wiring/cables which saved somewhere between 1-3 tons.

1 Like

The issue isn’t these new tanks, because honestly they won’t introduce any new mechanics that cannot already be implemented on existing tanks.
But rather that between the top tier and mid tiers of every nation there are serious gaps.
It would be unhealthy for the game to have a lot of WW2 tanks, a lot of top tier tanks, and not many mid-tier tanks.
Still primarily IFVs and LTs missing from this game for all ranks.

Yep! I listed 3 tons saved at minimum, but it is most likely that the Abrams saved about 4 tons between M1A2 and M1A2 SEPv3.

Which means; if we don’t take into account these weight-saving measures, M1A2 SEPv3 would weight easily 71 tons.

Which means that, without the weight-saving measures, there’s a 9 ton increase between M1A2 and M1A2 SEPv3.

So… of these 9 tons, I can buy that up to 4 of them are new electronics, APU, etc. But the other 5 tons…? What exactly would those 5 extra tons account for, if not improved protection…?

Improved Protection could mean a whole host of different things

• Lighter Arrays
  • Different Materials

Just because a vehicles says it got improved protection from an upgrade doesn’t necessarily mean it will protect more against KE threats.

And besides what I said is the same stance Gaijin takes when looking at vehicles with improved protection. We don’t really know how a tank achieves the improved protection so it won’t get the improved protection.

2 Likes