Cockerill Weapon systems - Which ones, what weapons and what ammunitions

Hey again,

The article you list is fairly ambiguous on who the subcontractor is (Amnesty International France, 2020), but I understand how you could take the quote either way. It even goes on to say that Cockerill was charged with delivering 700 turrets to equip the 928 Canadian vehicles to be sent to Riyadh:

“Un contrat de sous-traitance avec la firme canadienne General Dynamics Land System-Canada (GDLS-C) pour un montant de 4,5 milliards d’euros. Elle est chargée de livrer environ 700 tourelles-canons pour équiper les 928 véhicules blindés légers canadiens envoyés à Riyad.”

However, Chase and LeBlanc (2016) clarify that GDLS-C and CMI Defence are contractor and subcontractor respectively:

“Some of the armoured combat vehicles Canada is selling to Saudi Arabia in a controversial $15-billion arms deal will feature medium- or high-calibre weapons supplied by a European subcontractor – such as a powerful cannon designed to shoot anti-tank missiles.”

“Details about the turreted weapons have been slow to emerge because both General Dynamics Land Systems (Canada) and its Belgian supplier CMI Defence, part of CMI Groupe, are saying little about the contract and subcontract.”

The “contract of the century” quote in the Amnesty International France article comes from this article by RTBF, who state that Cockerill is the subcontractor to GLDS-C (RTBF, 2014):

“En fait, l’entreprise sérésienne est sous-traitant pour le compte d’un groupe canadien. Mais cette commande est capitale: elle consacre la montée en puissance de la branche militaire de la société CMI.”

In fact, the contract for sale to the Saudis was renegotiated by the Canadian federal government (Sevunts, 2020) after the breakdown of trade relations following Jamal Khashoggi’s assassination. Canadian Commercial Corporation is listed as the prime contractor (Chase, 2015) (Perry, 2016).

As well, GDLS owns the license to the finished product as they continue to market it, specifically with the Brazilian Army’s VBC-Cav MSR program.

References:

Amnesty International France. (2020). Armes la France, terre d’accueil. Amnesty International. Retrieved from: [Révélations] En France, un centre de formation pour des soldats saoudiens - Amnesty International France

Chase, S. (2015). Ottawa’s arms deal with Saudi Arabia contingent on secrecy. The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from: Ottawa's arms deal with Saudi Arabia contingent on secrecy - The Globe and Mail

Chase, S. & LeBlanc, D. (January 6, 2016). Armoured vehicles in Saudi deal will pack lethal punch. The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/armoured-vehicles-in-saudi-deal-will-pack-lethal-punch/article28046099/

RBTF. (August, 2014). L’entreprise sérésienne CMI décroche un “contrat du siècle” en Arabie. RBTF. Retrieved from: L'entreprise sérésienne CMI décroche un 'contrat du siècle' en Arabie - RTBF Actus

Perry, D. (March 21, 2016). The other side of Canada’s deal with the Saudis. Vanguard Canada. Retrieved from: The other side of Canada’s deal with the Saudis – Vanguard

Sevunts, L. (April 10, 2020). Canada cuts new deal with Saudi Arabia, clearing way for more arms sales. Radio Canada International. Retrieved from: https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/04/10/canada-cuts-new-deal-with-saudi-arabia-clearing-way-for-more-arms-sales/

That’s because it literally is:

The ammunition choices and the addition of the LWS can be argued about, but it very much is the 3105 turret made by Cockerill.

Nice, I didn’t actually know, so…

@Mulatu_Astatke just wanted to make sure you acknowledged this 👍

Yes. After reviewing all the sources as well doing my own further research, you make a valid point. I will amend all my comments in the coming days.

1 Like

Some more additions:

As I keep on searching for more vehicles and more will be brought to my attention, then hopefully this list will expand even more!

30mm:

• KIFV CPWS 30
  • Textron Commando 4x4 CPWS
  • Piranha III 3030
  • Desert Piranha 3030/40
  • VBCI 3030
  • GDLS-Canada LAV-700 3030
  • Patria-AMV Cockerill 3030

90mm

• SIBMAS AFSV-90
  • Pindad «Badak» ( Rhino ) CSE 90 (early)
  • Pindad «Badak» ( Rhino ) CSE 90LP
  • Cadillac Gage Commando Select 90mm

105mm

• KTO MAS 105
  • Rosomak 8×8 XC-8-120HP
  • LAV 700 C3105
  • Piranha IIIH (8x8) 3105
  • ZORAWAR
  • Kaplan MT

LAV-AG (1981)
LAV90protoMecarHaugh (2)

GM of Canada pitch for the LAV-AG program. Cockerill Mk III in Arrowpointe Dragoon turret.

LAV-AG(S)

GM of Canada LAV II fitted with LCTS 90 turret with Cockerill Mk 8 gun. As far as I know the Falarick 90 has not been exported to Saudi Arabia, per SIPRI.

1 Like

Thanks, but I won’t include weapon systems that are only cockerill guns, as that would become too big of a post haha

That LAV II for the Saudi’s however looks very nice!

Will you write the suggestion post again on this forum? Then I can easily link it, as the old one will soon be gone. @hydroxideblue

You can let me know when it’s approved ;)

1 Like

I’m actually just waiting on approval 😂😂, way ahead of you!

1 Like