Panhard CRAB CPWS 30 (ZTM-1) - Caged Ukrainian Firepower

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

TL;DR: A 4x4 car equipped with a remote weapon station that houses a ZTM-1 30mm automatic cannon.

_DSC0704.jpg

History:

The Panhard CRAB, or Combat Reconnaissance Armored Buggy, is a relatively newly developed French 4x4 armored car, which was developed to meet the requirements set by the French Army under Project Scorpion. It was first officially unveiled at Eurosatory 2012 at which it sported the Belgian developed Cockerill CPWS 25, a remotely operated turret equipped with a two-plane stabilizer, thermal camera, and an American M242 Bushmaster 25mm chain gun. Since then, the CRAB had made many appearances at many different shows, always sporting a variant of the Cockerill CPWS, most commonly the CPWS 25. That being said, the M242 Bushmaster isn’t the only cannon the CPWS is capable of carrying. At Eurosatory 2014, the Panhard CRAB appeared equipped with a Cockerill CPWS 30, a 30mm variant of the CPWS. This specific CPWS 30 mounted the American M230LF 30mm chain gun, a lightweight ground variant of the M230 30mm chain gun that can be found on the American AH-64 Apache. Despite being a larger caliber, the M230LF is an overall smaller cannon than the M242. It can be reasonably assumed that the M230LF armed CRAB was not too terribly popular among customers as it has not been seen since Eurosatory 2014. In 2018, Renault Trucks Defense, Panhard, and AMCAT officially combined into a single brand, Arquus. Development on the Panhard CRAB was pretty much halted, leading to the vehicle being transported to and displayed at the Arquus Museum. It arrived equipped with a CPWS 30 turret, however, instead of being equipped with the American American M230LF 30mm chain gun, it was equipped with the Ukrainian ZTM-1 30mm automatic cannon, a Ukrainian analog of the Russian 2A72. The CPWS 30 armed with the ZTM-1 was originally marketed for installation onto the Ukrainian BTR-3E, however, if a customer wished, it could also be installed on the CRAB. The Panhard CRAB itself is equipped with a 360hp engine, allowing for a speed of 110kph to be easily achieved. It’s armor is rated at STANAG Level 3, which provides protection against LMG fire and artillery shrapnel. A STANAG Level 4 upgrade, which provides protection against 14.5mm HMG rounds, is also available. Its light weight gives it very low ground pressure, allowing the CRAB to confidently traverse soft terrain. Adding to this, the CRAB is also capable of moving around silently under the power of its battery. The most interesting aspect of the CRAB, however, is what its acronym was designed spell out. Through the pointing of its wheels inward, the Panhard CRAB can move laterally like a crab.

Place In War Thunder:

Small and speedy vehicles have always had their place in War Thunder and vehicles solely armed with autocannons have recently made their usefulness in the current meta known. It is only fair for every nation to receive such vehicles. For France, one of the options is the Panhard CRAB CPWS and its variants. Panhard CRAB CPWS 30 (ZTM-1) would make a very good high-tier supplement for a French armored car line. Its high speed, good tech (stabilizer and thermals), and powerful cannon would make it quite the force to be reckoned with. Playstyle would be rather passive as your main priority is to keep your team informed of enemy positions, shredding any scouts along the way. You’d want to stay away from direct confrontation with MBTs and other heavily armored vehicles as your cannon cannot reliably destroy them. Instead, you want to catch them off guard and tear their sides open. Your speed and maneuverability is your greatest strength. As such, repositioning after every few scouts or kill would be ideal. You’d be incredibly vulnerable to artillery and strafing, so its best to stay out of sight and out of mind. The Panhard CRAB CPWS 30 (ZTM-1) can be added in a number of ways. Ideally, it would be added as a high-tier supplement to a French armored car line in the tech tree, however, as it was essentially a one-off, it could easily be added as a GE premium or battlepass vehicle.

Specifications:

Armament: 30mm ZTM-1 automatic cannon and 1x 7.62 mm MG

Dimensions: 5.00m, 2.50m, 1.80m (Without Turret) (L,W,H)

Weight: 8600kg

Armor: STANAG Level 3 (Protection against LMG and shrapnel)

Crew: 3

Ammunition: APFSDS-T, APDS, AP-T, HEF-I, HEF-T

Speed: 110kph

Horsepower: 320hp

Pictures:

Close up of the CPWS 30 armed with the ZTM-1 mounted on the BTR-3E:

CMI-Defence-Cockerill_CPWS-30_01_med-102

Sources:

https://www.armyrecognition.com/belgium_belgian_light_heavy_weapons_uk/cpws_25-30_medium_calibre_cockerill_protected_weapon_station_technical_data_sheet_specifications.html

https://militaryleak.com/2022/02/22/precision-mechanics-plant-produces-its-thousandth-ztm-1-30mm-automatic-cannon/

Eurosatory: CMI Defence presents the Cockerill CPWS 20-25-30 - John Cockerill

WARFARE TECHNOLOGY: M230LF Alternative for .50cal & 40mm AGL??

30mm x 113 Ammunition Suite - MP - M788 TP - M977 TP-T - M789 HEDP

https://old.weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/II04 - 2A72.html

https://warwheels.net/images/CrabSalesBrochurePanhard.pdf

More than 80 vehicles exhibited in 2021 | Arquus - A century of military history

http://www.military-today.com/apc/panhard_crab.htm

Army Guide

WarWheels.Net- CRAB- Combat Reconnaissance Armored Buggy

The Panhard CRAB - TankNutDave.com

5 Likes

VERY powerful! +1

Wonder if added, this ‘thing’ will play against 80 year old tanks…

I don’t think so, if added into the game it could be a very potent 9.7/10.0 so not really fighting much older vehicles.

3 Likes

I sure hope you are right

I doubt it since it uses APFSDS and APDS rounds and it is a 30mm autocannon

2 Likes

Sounds alot like many research tree’s 7.7 hmm… Funny that

The VBCI-2 MCT30 is currently sitting at 9.7, I don’t see how a buggy with twice the hp/t, a better gun and a much lower profile while having the same amout of crew could be lower than 9.7.

4 Likes

I will say again, I hope you are right, I just dont have much faith in Gaijin on this topic. They seem pretty fond of adding vehicles that are so bad they cant compete with other vehicles of their own period in time, so they get send to mid tier, to fight 80 year old tanks

yeah, they don’t understand that switching the balance toward unpopular nations will bring them more money since people always want to play op stuff and are ready to pay for it. Once they stop overpowering the big 3 and start allowing minor TT to catch up and even be the new big trees, people will buy premiums to grind and play those new powerhouses.

No way this is a real vehicle and not from a sci-fi video game 😂

1 Like

Very cool suggestion! I found the panoramic sight:

Spoiler

3rd gen thermals will definitely make it viable at high-tiers. Anyway, the specific thermal imager used is MATIS SP.

Spoiler

Sources

Spoiler

Sources.zip (1.0 MB)

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1 for france

1 Like

i need this goblin vehicle +1

1 Like

Looks cool but how much ammo can it carry?

150 rounds is what is mentioned on the Cockerill website, however, this obviously depends on the weapon fitted. Whether or not the CRAB carries more ammo in the hull, I’ll have to look further into.

I would say 2 handfulls