Cockerill 3105 MPF - Hunter goes Heavy

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Cockerill 3105 MPF - Hunter goes Heavy

grafik

Hi and welcome to my 59th suggestion, which is about the Cockerill 3015 MPF, hope you like it. :popcorn:

First of all:

• Feel free to share more Information and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here

Basic Background

The Next Generation Armored Fighting Vehicle (NGAFV) with the Cockerill 3105 turret was developed by ST Kinetics in collaboration with the Belgian company CMI Defence. The NGAFV was developed in response to the increasing demands of modern military forces for a versatile and effective armored vehicle.
ST Kinetics began developing the NGAFV as part of a comprehensive armored vehicle modernization program, its today known as the Hunter AFV. The goal was to create a modular platform that could be adapted to different operational scenarios. CMI Defence was selected as a partner to equip the NGAFV with the advanced Cockerill 3105 turret.
In 2018, testing of the Cockerill 3105 MPF began. Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) worked with ST Kinetics to offer the Cockerill 3105 MPF for the US Army’s Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF) program. At AUSA 2018 (Association of the United States Army), ST Kinetics and SAIC presented the NGAFV with the Cockerill 3105 turret as a potential candidate for the MPF program.

The Cockerill 3105 MPF Overall

Due to the weight of the turret, the NGAFVs (Hunter) hull had to be modified, which included strengthening the hull to accommodate the larger caliber gun, as well as mounting a simulated turret on the chassis prior to mobility testing.
The vehicle weighs 32.5 tonnes, has a length of 6.94 meters (hull) and a width of 3.4 meters. The height is not specified. It can accommodate a crew of three: driver, gunner and commander. The armor is all-steel, with the option of adding additional passive armor layers on the front and sides. The main armament is a 105 mm cannon, supported by a 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun as secondary armament. The vehicle is powered by an MTU 8V-199 TE20 diesel engine with 710 hp and a Kinetics Drive Solution HMX3000 hydromechanical continuously variable transmission. The vehicle reaches a top speed of 70 km/h and has a range of 500 kilometers.

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:
[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]
[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Links

SAIC continues to test vehicle for US Army Mobile Protected Firepower
AUSA 2018 Wrap-Up
https://militaryleak.com/2018/10/05/cmi-defence-cockerill-3105-mpf/
SAIC Teams with ST Kinetics to Bid for US Army’s MPF
https://defense1178.rssing.com/chan-6100794/article5344.html

5 Likes

Is this vehicle not called the Cockerill 3105 MPF: Redirecting... ?

But +1, it would make a cool event vehicle for France. I don’t really see anywhere else it could end up.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe - I will consider changing it later, after searching bit more for that, I wasn’t entirely sure about it tbh.

While the turret is Belgian, its IMO more likely to become part of an possible SEA sub-TT for Japan.

T’would be a shame seeing as the turret was co-developed with France. The 105mm HP gun is different from the previous 105mm CV gun (produced in Belgium) found on the XC-8 and CT-CV turrets and is made in France. The weapon itself is produced in France and then the housing is produced in Belgium:

France is also a party to the MPF programme which this vehicle was specifically designed for. It would be a shame for even more French tech to go to other tech trees instead of France. The vehicle doesn’t belong in Japan, it belongs in France.

3 Likes

+1 for Japan

3 Likes

France has other options for wheeled FSV. You can get the Turkish one.

This is the XC-8 105HP which France had no involvement in. Besides, it will most likely go to a future Turkish tech tree. Japan has no claim on the Cockerill 3105 MPF and even with a Singaporean sub-tree, France would still have a greater claim.

Even if the Turret was fully French, you seem to ignore that the base Vehicle is still Singaporean.

3 Likes

France is its own tech tree first and foremost. Singapore isn’t. If Singapore was its own independent tech tree I would say that it should go to Singapore only as it has greater claim. But Singapore isn’t its own tech tree. Adding the Cockerill 3105 MPF to Japan is nothing but shoehorning vehicles into the Japanese tree that it has nothing to do with.

Remove the turret and please tell me how effective the vehicle is. You seem to ignore that the turret (the most complex part of the vehicle) is Franco-Belgian :)

Considering there are several Cockerill 3105 turret prototypes, at least concerning the carriage/hull, it would be very weird to claim all of them as Franco-Belgian…

3 Likes

I’m not claiming all of them. This vehicle just so happens to be a project that Belgium and France were involved in. Something like the Zorowar would only go to the UK because there was no involvement from either Belgium or France outside of selling the turret for the Indians to modify themselves.

It even says in the historical section of this post:

May I interest you in this then?

Vextra POLE - Suggestions - Devs / Passed - War Thunder — official forum

2 Likes

I see! Then again, it would make more sense for Gaijin to add the prototypes that more closely align with the BeNeLux/France first to France, namely:

==> This one was once in the Belgian STAR-plan

==> This one is part of the Dutch development for mobile AT capabilities for its Boxer orders and modifications. (although at the moment the Netherlands is only an observer in the Belgian-German project)

+1 for a future Singaporean subtree

I’d say it would fit alongside Thailand with Japan.

5 Likes

Being a Sub- or Independed-TT doesn’t make Singapore any less represented as a Nation; a Sub-TT in any form is still a representation of a Nation, just like South-Africa, India, Hungary and Finland.

4 Likes

This specific vehicle is pretty closely aligned with France since France is involved in the MPF programme which this vehicle was specifically designed for.

And yet you are completely discounting French representation… go figure, hey?

Yet they were only partially involved with the development of the Turret ? I didn’t know the NGAFV is French. And if we are talking about the MPF program, even America has at least an equal claim as France, since this vehicle was provided and tested for and by the US.

As someone who supports the BeNeLux sub-TT and is helping with the Rafale, I am the one who discounts France as a Nation but Singapore / minor Nations ? As if there weren’t other options already pointed out, with the very same Turret.

3 Likes

T’would be a shame seeing as the turret was co-developed with France. The 105mm HP gun is different from the previous 105mm CV gun (produced in Belgium) found on the XC-8 and CT-CV turrets and is made in France. The weapon itself is produced in France and then the housing is produced in Belgium

And what about the hull? Are you saying that just because something has a French component, it should go in the French tech tree regardless of who made it? By that logic, wouldn’t anything with an L7 belong in the British tree? Would the T-72AV go in the French tree because it uses a French FCS?

5 Likes

You mean the turret which uses a weapon system made in France for the housing to be constructed by Belgium? Franco-Belgian defense cooperation is hand-in-glove when it comes to Cockerill. Saying it just “has a French component” is obtusely misrepresenting the facts.