The new F-16s and USA definitely not overpowered

No, I didn’t mention anything about AOA comparisons in that post, stop trolling.

You said “it has good AOA”, it does not right now. For it to be “good AOA” it must be better than some of the competition. The competition is F14 and F-16.

The bug report about the lack of AOA has been acknowledged by the Devs on a bug report though thank god.

1 Like

F-16C has the better IR missiles, better airframe, and more countermeasures.
R-73As are great within 2.8km when it has thrust, but 9Ms keep more maneuverability out to 4km due to not being thrust vectoring.
That’s also what makes Python 5s a monster, no thrust vectoring to rely on for maneuverability.
We knew ARHs were coming this year, and Mig-29S with the same armament as Mig-29SMT is a superior aircraft…

People really do think there’s major airframe differences between Mig-29 9.12 & even Mig-35.
Lower RCS & better engines, that’s it.
Radar is still PD cause Mikoyan or their contractor is still developing an AESA radar for it.
F-16A & F-16C Block 52 is a different radar… and heavier… that’s it.
If the weapons are identical they’re essentially the same aircraft.

[The context is war sim capabilities]

1 Like

Don’t get me started on sim, F-16 with 9M is the death of top tier SIM with the invisible missiles.

2 Likes

Not the game mode, the video game genre.

So are you saying that Mig-29S will come probably in the next patches when the R-77 is added?

Yeah, the F-16C is a very meta pick as well, both of these jets are very good contenders for top spot, Aim 9M is very strong and I’m glad it wasn’t nerfed significantly from the dev server.

Python 5 will be extremely potent when it comes assuming it’s modelled in a manner that’s mostly correct.

Wasn’t aware that the Mig 35 is still using a PD radar.

my main reasoning was that if they absolutely wanted to push the BR cap to 12.3 in the manner they did, they could just throw the Mig 29S in a folder with the regular Mig 29 with R-73 and R-27ET at 12.3, and then either reserve the SMT for later when they’re ready to drop modern ARH or just add it to the Mig 29S and do something else with the SMT entirely

Well, if Gaijin wants to buff the AOA pull that’s fine, it’s still going to be heavier than the Mig 29 9.13, but comparing it to the F-16C which is the best dogfighter in the game doesn’t make it bad.

They’re simultaneously prepping for ARHs, 12.7, 12.3, rank 8 ground, and so forth before year end.
SMT is a good “not good” ARH slinger.
F-16C is a good platform for AMRAAM As, possibly Bs.
I don’t even know if 29S can even carry R-77s, but SMT was the correct choice IMO.
Mig-29K, Mig-29M, Mig-35 can come for BRs 13.0 - 13.3. With Mig-35 able to go to further BRs with R-73Ms, as the dogfight Mig-29s, with SMT as a taste of R-77s.
Mig-29M & F-15C are good airframe comparisons even. Whereas SMT is like the F-15E but 2 less AAM slots.

@Malekitth
No, I’m saying that Mig-29S would be more powerful than the SMT as a 12.3.

what i do not understand is why they added export SMT , because this means they will not add Domestic SMT, which is a shame. The export variant is just absolute garbage as it can be seen in the game.

116 CM vs 60
Better Radar vs some weird sometimes not working radar

these 2 would make a huge difference, even the different amount of CMs would make a huge difference because you need to spam flares for the busted 9M.

Or they should have added some other model and released real domestic SMT at a later date with the PESA radar, now it will never be added because we have SMT at home.

SMT at home: Garbage

1 Like

Seems like the dynamic betweem the two aircraft will remain the same going into the future, that is assuming no drastic changes are made to either plane or they get overshadowed by yet more powerful aircraft being added in the subsequent update.

R-77 should definitely be superior to the Aim 120a in a number of ways, primarily speed, but I don’t think I mind the R-77 having the edge in BVR so long as the F-16C maintains the dogfighting advantage.

My hypothesis is that ARHs equalize the airframes, BUT it couldn’t.
Time will tell, especially with the tactics people come up with to close distance, defeat missiles, and retain power in the game.

Why and How? when it is literally hard limited to 9-10G pulls IRL

War Thunder isn’t irl, it isn’t a sim, nor should it be, I already went over that, if the Mig 29SMT isn’t pulling as much aoa as the devs want, then they can change that, Still remains that Mig 29SMT is the superior missile bus in the matchup and F-16C is the superior dogfighter, and I find that dynamic enjoyable.

You value the F-16C’s qualities more highly, that’s fine, I won’t argue that, but to say the Mig 29SMT is in some way suffering, especially against most nations in the game, is untrue.

SMT is not the superior missile bus compared to F-16C right now. You should compare 12.3s to 12.3s. Ok then TORNADO F3 by your definition is very good. AMAZING missiles for 11.3 better than any 11.0. It is a missile bus like you like. But is it good? No, it suffers even in downtiers.

If you fire your 4 R-73s on random enemies they will be flared unless you are very close.

if you fire your 9Ms like a missile bus randomly on enemies if they are in the energy range of the missile 3/4 targets will die most of the time, even in headons. it is what i do and the missile works wonderfully.

1 Like

Fair, much to my displeasure, Gaijin has in the past taken a very VERY cautious approach to air-air missiles, with seemingly only sweeping nerfs to whatever the newest thing is after a month or two.

There is no guarentee that the R-77 will demolish the competition, but generally speaking I’ve had no issues with Russian radar missiles lacking potency they need ever since the R-23R, so I have faith that it will have a leg up on the Aim-120a, which is fine assuming they don’t do something wild like throw a Flanker in the next patch.

Either way, I’m fairly content going for both of the new major top jets at the moment and I don’t feel incapable against either of them in my 12.0 aircraft, which is a very good feeling.

It is, the R-27er is superior to the Aim 7M and the Aim 9M, R-73, and to a lesser extent the Magic 2 are all in a similar spot at the moment.

Well, missile data can only be mass attained once they’re in our hands.
So if the data they require for better balancing is unlocked with that, then changes occur.

War Thunder is a sim BTW. Sim =/= clunky, in-fact most clunky “sims” are arcade games by today’s standards of simulation.
What games simulate physics as well as WT? Not a whole lot, DCS is the only other one that simulates the actual air portion as well.

Simulating clicking buttons doesn’t matter too much when the physics of everything actually matter for combat.

I expect the F-15s/Su-27s we’d get would be without ARHs. F-15J will come in with AAM-3s and AIM-7Ms. Maybe AMRAAM As since they’re not great to give F-15 players an option.

BTW war thunder does some simulations MUCH better than DCS, stuff like weather affecting IR missiles and flares are much BETTER modelled in war thunder IIRC. You can fire your IR missiles straight through thick clouds in DCS.

1 Like

I’ll respectfully disagree with the sentiment that WT is a sim.

It’s a game first and foremost where teams compete in team deathmatch style gameplay with features like third person, maps with very close airfields, and somewhat unrealistic, albeit highly authentic vehicle statistics, and other fundamentally video gamey mechanics that seperate it from a pure simulator experience. I’d more classify it as a game that values authenticity.

As for the F-15, I’d prefer to wait until ARHs are fully implemented in the game for all nations and just have it fill the roll of a fast AMRAAM slinger with pretty solid dogfighting capabilities and high speed to avoid engagements, with the Su-27 taking on a more aggressive role.

1 Like