Should the Ho-229 get it's bombload?

According to this book (Horten Ho 229 Spirit of the Thuringia) the intended armament is 2X 30mm Mk103 or 4X 30mm Mk108 with the ability to carry fuel tank or replace the fuel tanks under each wing with a bomblaod of 2X500kg under each wing carried using ETC 503 Wikingerschiff external attachment pylons

IMG_20230810_155044

10 Likes

I believe a suggestion to give it access to bombs was passed to the devs.

5 Likes

Changing a old modell is not what gaijin usually does. But if bombs were planned then it should get it

2 Likes

i mean they have been updating models, but at a very slow pace

2 Likes

adding bombs would sikgehabdedly make this my favorite aircraft. Feeling like i’m playing stealth bomber I think could be really fun. Even though the payload is small, I thin it would be very fun.

1 Like

There is no “good will”

This is a historical vehicle that made it to limited testing, Gaijin added it early on in game development when modern jets were a pipe dream. This aircraft is/was meant as an attraction, and shows the limitations of gaijins FM modeling at the time by having an invisible “rudder” instead of developing the correct control surface modeling.

Their not known for doing it but have been doing it a lot.

This was 2 years ago damn i am late

and so does so many other aircrafts like the rest of the Ki-45’s, the Ki-27 and so on.

Excuse me what!?!?! XD

I agree that Horten needs cougars…
By default it flies against planes from the Korean War, it is a maximum heavy fighter in the hands of a player who knows what he is doing… As a fighter-bomber, which would be an ideal position given his capabilities, it would be much better…
That it flies against the BR 8.0 would be much less of a problem, it just means that it can’t be a first strike aircraft but only a support heavy fighter…

Sometimes I read here on the forum that B2 or F-117 planes would be good in the game …
Both are subsonic, both have no machine guns/cannons, rely on their design and invisible (read very well reduced) RCS…
So here we have subsonic bombers and given the game settings they would be usable as stealth, only in the simulator…
Both could carry a decent amount of anti-surface weapons, the F-117 would be an attack aircraft for precision bombing, the B2 would be a standard bomber with the ability to bomb from a remote position (aka JSOW or JASSM…)

It could be tried on the Ho-229…
The Horten is primarily a bomber, secondarily a fighter-bomber and, if it can be done, a heavy fighter…

… for interest…
In 2008, Northrop built an exact copy of the Ho-229 and acquired the radar image using the radar range settings and frequencies used by the then British radar.
If they used the standard air raid technique from France, which was used by the Luftwaffe, then the radar image of the Horten was 20% smaller than that of today’s generation 3-4-4.5 fighter planes…
That is that the EWR ground stations of the RAF would have a very difficult task of detecting them, which would also be transferred to the air defense of the Spitfire aircraft…
Instead of the usual 19 minutes of reaction time, they would only have 8 minutes…

Assuming that the Ho-229 had the upper air cover of the Me-262 aircraft and it was possible to eliminate the British radar stations (Chain Home), then the Spitfire and the entire RAF would have huge and almost unsolvable problems…