Mitsubishi F-2

the PD maws basically mini radar that detect any incoming object. but instead of showing in display it’s either warn the pilot and/or deploying counter measure.

i think all the heli maws currently in the game is PD maws

1 Like

I didn’t know about radar MAWS
It sounds like a pretty modern tech tho, what jet’s can get it?

not really sure what jet having it. but i think the F-15J reportedly having maws at the rear of the jet

this is from wikipedia of missile approaching warning system (maws)
the J/APQ-1 was listed there from Mitsubishi.

All I could find about J/APQ-1 is it’s active, that means it actually search for missiles and not just react on incoming radio waves? Maybe it might see ARH missiles. No idea about range tho - if it’s only a few km it won’t be enough to react.

yeah it similar to PD radar that it is transmitting radar wave, the return signal probably what makes the maws warn the pilot and activate the counter measure.
like all the helicopter maws ingame, it’s most likely a PD maws since it activate when any missile coming for them

It also seems to have blindspots above and below the helicopter, irrespective of the helicopter in question. Similar situation with RWR blindspots. It’s strange that F-15 for example is blind to radar waves above and below it like other aircraft when the antenna is right there on the vertical stabilizer and wing tips.

I would think it would be enough to give some warning with ARHs to go defensive but depending on the range, if it’s already at max speed, it might be too fast yea.

With how they’ve modeled MAWS though, it seems to go off from very far away and know everything exactly which might need to be modeled better later. For example, the DIRCM feature is also currently overperforming in that it is always on, even if you haven’t launched your missile yet when it’s supposed to blind the missile approaching the aircraft (not before launch).

No trust me comrade it’s working as intended. No bias, it works just like in reality. All footage from Ukraine with Ka-52 dying to an old stingers are fakes made in hollywood.
Maybe if F-2 was in correct nation we could already have seen it implemented.

5 Likes

That why Germany probably will get F-4F ICE in the next patch and Japan will get F-15J MSIP (current version can’t use AIM-120). Thing is, F-15J MSIP isn’t really better than F-2. The only advantages of the F-15J MSIP are rear aspect MAW and more flares. Missiles? Same amount and types on both planes. Radar? F-2’s is better. Ground capabilities? F-2 is better again. And it has HMD as well! There is no need for Gaijin to add F-2 before F-15J MSIP. So, I guess, we won’t see F-2 in the next patch, but maybe after it.

I don’t think the F-2 had any HMD, but loadout is most likely not relevant since they are using it as BR balances.
Like the current F-15J could technically carry GBU since they said it practically impossible to remove it(at least since i read last time).

I’m more interested in the internal IRST that some MSIP had.

F-2 did had HMD afaik, yeah it does

3 Likes

I stand corrected then, can it lock onto targets though?
Putting it to translation machine, it translated purely just for navigation?

Edited

Wait a minute, that’s not a helmet mounted display. Thats a head-up display.

What the text says its “images are projected onto a heads-up display or multifunction display” for what i understand

Isn’t that basically the panel with monitor like the F-16AJ used for radar and when targeting with AGM?

1 Like

Ye My Bad i tought they were the same thing, then idk it’s pretty late rn so i won’t search till tomorrow

Nah it’s fine, i did something similar when i sleep deprived too
Especially with how classified and somewhat random japanese equipment is.

What i was looking for a helm like this

F-15J HMD

F-15J HMD

but for the F-2. been looking for them from photographer shooting the F-2 but still no luck

1 Like

When the F-2A got it’s new AMC, it was provisioned to use an HMD along with AAM-5s and ASM-3 functionality. F-2s likely got HMD functionality when AAM-5s were integrated on the airframe which is exactly what happened with the F-15J getting it when it integrated AAM-5.

1 Like

Does this specifically said it’s an upgrade for the F-2?
Or this is an upgrade for other plane INCLUDING the F-2?

It’s specifically the F-2 and covers basically all the upgrades from the base version. A lot of stuff like JDCS(F), JDAMs, ASM-3 and it’s HARM sub function, and A2A capability upgrades were dependent on a more powerful Advanced Mission Computer, so the doc just talks about everything that came with the new AMC

1 Like

Iirc early F-2’s did have J/APG-1 but lacked J/ARG-1 which are needed to use AAM4. If they want to add the F-2 in its most early state it wouldn’t have AAM4. So a early F-2 would be more like a better F16AJ and still lack ARH capability. Could pair well with a better F15J, ones better at CAS the other is “better” at AA.

F-2 with AAM-4 in fact differs only in the presence of this J/ARG -1 so I think they wouldn’t add “the earliest” F-2