Mitsubishi F-2

So we might see HMD on F-15 and F-2 with AAM-5 or after?
I had hopes we will see it earlier

Yeah, HMD was added for the planes adopted to AAM-5 as part of the kit

Makes sense since they added HMD to use AAM-5 against targets outside of AAM-5 FOV

I mean its not a good comparison but they have added “filler” planes with few differences like F16A and ADF. It is an option if gaijian want to push back the ARH update

It looks like JASDF just don’t have GBU-8

Spoiler

изображение

New F-15J MSIP also won’t have AAM-4, only AIM-120. AAM-4 is too good for the game now. I guess, we’ll see 2 versions of the F-2. One “early” with AAM-3/AIM-120 and one “late” with HMD and AAM-4/B/5 (anyway, HMD is not that good without thrust-vectoring missiles, so lack of it on the “early” version is not smth really bad). And both versions will be at higher BR than F-15J MSIP. But maybe Gaijin will give newer missiles to old planes and then my prediction is wrong.

That is only partialy true. When it was upgraded it got better radar too

What upgrades it got?
J/APG-2 was introduced later with AAM-4B

Ah sorry my bad I forgot that there was twi upgrades for it and that the radar was swaped later

Not really the F-15, but the F-16AJ proposal did include TV guided bombs which would’ve been GBU-8. For some unknown reasons Gaijin specifically removed them from it, despite also ahistorically basing it on a Block 10 airframe which in the US tree does carry them.

F-15J never used aim-120, it might be compatible but its still being tested with even newer versions of the F-15J. F-2 straight up wont be able to use aim-120 unless there are changes made to it.

AJ also doesn’t have 2 extra sparrows. It looks like Gaijin was lazy as fuck. And probably they don’t want to give Japan a lot of weapon for groundpounding. Why? Because Japan is a nation for air-to-air fights. You know, the best air–to-air pahntom, the best air-to-air F-16A, good F-5E… But lack of air-to-ground.

F-15J also never used 9M and I doubt it used 9L.
AAM-4 is stealthy to unknown degree so it’s it’s questionable what to do

It have air to ground tho and a very good one

There was some info that F-15 can use AIM-120

Spoiler

But looks like not MSIP version. I think it is the same as AAM-4 using was acceptable for F-15J(M)

F-15J was tested with AIM-120s at least once and these are 100% compatible with it.

Tbh, I expect them to make it exclusive for the F-2, while F-15J relies on its (S)PAMRAAMs and AAM-5B.

1 Like

Aim 9L and Aim 9M are much closer related than Aim-120 and AAM-4, there is a fundamental difference between what tech the Aim-120s and AAM-4 needs. So giving a plane a missile it cant even fire or hasten been truly proven to fire is not a good idea in regard to radar missile. (specifically to early F15J at least)

I found this. Not sure about exact version of AIM-120 and F-15, but according to wiki they bought some AIM-120B in late 90-s, and they are in use on “some modernised F-15J/DJ for air training”

Spoiler

To be honest, this “photo” looks like screenshot from some game

Its from DCS iirc.

Here is a F-15J with AIM-120B from JMoD website;

grafik

3 Likes

Also in Budget document AIM-120 is mentioned as weapon for F-35 and F-15J