How Forum Trust Levels Work

I thought I would write this up for user coming here for the first time. I was a bit confused when arriving and hope to ease others confusion.

The forum users are all given a trust level. The trust level allows increasing forum functions.
Read about it here: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

New users start at level 0 and have the lowest privileges.

Getting to level 1 is not hard, but the requirements must be let:

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

• Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
  • Send PMs
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Mute other users

Next is level 2, it will require some time, but regular forum users should not find it difficult.

Get to trust level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 2 can…

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
  • Daily like, edit, and flag limits increased by 1.5×
  • Ignore other users
  • Edit their own posts for up to 30 days after posting

Level 3 is where things get a bit harder to achieve. These requirment are not for the faint of heart.

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days…

• Must have visited at least 50% of days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months

Users at trust level 3 can…

• Recategorize and rename topics
  • Access a secure category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  • Have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  • TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  • Make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
  • Daily like, edit, and flag limits increased by 2×

Level 4 is for Mods and must be assigned.

16 Likes

thanks. do we even know if this is discourse? i have no experience with it so i can’t tell.

2 Likes

Does that mean I have to start 20 topics?

Can you imagine 1000 users having to start 20 topics each just to gain that level?

1 Like

Yes, the link is sent when level 1 is achieved.

A pop up on first entry to explain all this would be nice.
Since their was no such thing I started this topic.

2 Likes

No, I believe:

“Entering at least 20 topics”

Is simply clicking them open.

3 Likes

Interesting, some of these restrictions seem fairly arbitrary. Abuse protection is important of course but what about a mute function could possibly be abused by new members (assuming you can’t mute mods of course)?

I think people will get used to it, though I’d hope that we will at least be able to edit thread OPs after more than 30 days, especially in the suggestions category since those topics on the old forum were always handy as a quick reference.

1 Like

Thanks!

It will still encourage people to spam…

2 Likes

Ho yeah … and for the non-english speakers (than me) we never go to lvl 3…

And new players can’t come post an image of their problems for try find a solution…

And before lvl 2, we can’t to edit an error in our post or re-write them…

That new forum is pretty … Cool … Or cold…

But tank you Brave_Idiot for that tuto.

1 Like

This all seems very silly.

We can now have vehicle threads started by a passionate member who is through and accurate who can’t edit the OP because they don’t live on the forum.

Does gajin have the ability to adjust these “trust levels” and their powers?

The idea that someone has to earn the right to edit their own post seems silly.

2 Likes

Yes. I think this is going to be a big problem with a large forum like this.

Level 3 is going to be very hard to achieve. Having to read (open) 25% of the forum post will be a real chore for most users.

That I am unsure of. As near as I can tell it is coded into the software and is unchangeable.

2 Likes

Post editing being unavailable for new users / low trust level user is really weird, I believe they should at least allow that for everyone, with an option to see the unedited version of posts if Mods believe this feature will be used maliciously

@Stona_WT is there anywhere we can bring feedback for Forum devs ?

1 Like

It really is a weird situation overall with those trust levels

We are already grinding in the game ? Why would we need to grind on the forums to get basic features like post editing ??

1 Like

30 day limit on editing posts seems highly detrimental to research threads where new sources are continually added to the OP

2 Likes

I could possibly see this killing the forum or deterring people from wanting to post because so many people will just mute/block the newer players once they get established to level 3. I can understand why they have done this but then again you open a system from abuse to alienate those that have just started. Experienced players don’t want to see the same new player questions asked over and over again so they will just block that player that is asking for help because they have just started a couple weeks ago then this new player stops asking questions and stops playing the game because they couldn’t figure something out.

Just my take on it. I’m a new player but just what I can see happening.

Gotta love these two points:

• TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts

now you can just wipe comments you dont like at TL3

3 Likes

WHat they want said? with a traductor in french i have “saisir 20 sujets”.

Is it create 20 topics?

Yes I am really hoping Gaijin will change that and make th edit period unlimited

2 Likes

It seems it’s actually ‘visiter 20 sujets’, just view 20 topics.

1 Like

this forum is cancer trust levels are cancer gaijin doesnt understand the playerbase nor the forum users gg

Modification: Now we can edit our message without thrust level 2.

But for topics, only on news.