Get this (severe damage system not working)

Like I said, the system is working as designed. It was designed to work this way, old kill conditions became severe damage.

You can read all severe damage conditions in one of the official articles:

Severe damage to a plane is considered to be: destruction of all engines (or destroying one engine if there is only one left), destruction of all elements of the control system (or the remaining controls left), which makes impossible to control the ailerons, elevators and rudders, separation of more than half of at least one wing, and destruction of all horizontal stabilizers (or the remainder of the horizontal stab).

Horizontal stabilizers on this list seems to be a bug (destruction of this part doesn’t affect flight performance, so it’s a nonsense to have it on that list).

You basically want severe damage to work differently. You can always make a suggestion about this, but if I were you, I wouldn’t count on anything.

The severe damage mechanics is working pretty much how the devs wanted it to work.

It still can fly.

1 Like

Horizontal stabilizers most certainly do affect flight performance - they counter nose-up or nose-down moment from the lift-weight/thrust-drag formula.

These forces almost always are not operating through a single point, so have a resultant moment - the horizontal stabilizer counters this residual moment - normally for an empty weight situation.

Trim tabs then counter any additional moment from loading and loading changes (fuel use, bombs dropped, cargo/pax loadings, etc).

However without the fixed portion of the horizontal stabilizer the remaining trimmable elements may well lack sufficient authority to maintain level flight.

2 Likes

I meant in the game of course. I understand this element is very important in reality.

For example, I got both horizontal stabilizers destroyed in this battle at 3:47

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/z2rAnSfcG_w?list=PLZSTdaNsWtv7ZDZspcZ4xdyYJSnnE7LlB&t=227

In the new system that is severe damage (so I would be killed at the end of the battle due to the “written off” mechanics). But this damage doesn’t change anything for me. I still managed to get 9 kills and 4 assist after that. Do you see any performance issues with how my plane behaves after this damage was done? If not, how can this even be considered severe damage in the game?

1 Like

They are black, that doesn’t mean they are destroyed.
Or an aircraft couldn’t have a black wing, just a wing that doesn’t exist.

I’m not really sure what black really means. Maybe just the maximum amount of aerodynamic damage.

Ok, so let’s quote all severe damage conditions again:

Severe damage to a plane is considered to be: destruction of all engines (or destroying one engine if there is only one left), destruction of all elements of the control system (or the remaining controls left), which makes impossible to control the ailerons, elevators and rudders, separation of more than half of at least one wing, and destruction of all horizontal stabilizers (or the remainder of the horizontal stab).

The black part is destroyed part. This is different than separation (they talk about separation with the wing damage).

So maybe “destruction of all horizontal stabilizers” should be “separation of all horizontal stabilizers”, then it would make sense. But with how the system works right now, it simply doesn’t make sense to consider black horizontal stabilizers as severe damage. That’s why for me it’s a clear bug and it will almost surely be fixed in the future.

A few players already wrote about this problem:

1 Like

I can confirm the visuals do not match the actual impact. I have lost my rudder before and could still use rudder forces (to a lesser degree).

Ironically I’ve also lost my wing EXACTLY as this Israeli Chad did but could not reproduce this… even with full afterburner but it just keeps putting me into a flat spin.

I don’t know if I’d count the HE-111 as CAS😂

Also it’s not just CAS that is “too survivable” that’s just aircraft in general. Also most people complaining of hits generally only hit the aircraft once and that’s it. So it’s not going to be a insta kill with one shot. Also gotta think about if it’s just an AP round or HE filler round or even a incendiary round. But again that’s for aircraft in general. 🙂

Yes, he is not missing
• All of his engines
• A majority of one wing
• Controls

It isn’t.

And the isn’t dead, is he?

1 Like

Fair enough - it does depend on the aircraft tho - the amount of authority conferred by hte horizontal stabilizers varies with a/c, and as KK pointed out black is not necessarily shot off - although shot off is always black!!

In that illustration I note that he elevators are undamaged, which suggests the stabilizers themselves are not shot off… or there wouldn’t be elevators either!!
:)

1 Like

right, when i say CAS i mean all air craft…

and are you saying that… you think they Should take more damage from shots, or… that they are good like this and… meant to take this damage and have basically no issues with their aircraft…?

Yeah, you are correct. That’s why this whole horizontal stabilizers condition doesn’t make sense and should be removed from severe damage mechanics conditions. Because destroying both elevators is already considered severe damage. And separated horizontal stabilizers automatically means destroyed elevators.

I suspect this condition is one of these bugs the devs mentioned here:

It looks like they didn’t fix all light damage issues, they forgot about destroyed (black) horizontal stabilizers. Even if there is some very small effect on the flight performance (I never noticed that, but I don’t see the game code, so I won’t argue about that), it’s so small it definitely shouldn’t be considered severe damage.

PS. It’s a shame they decided to list severe damage conditions in one sentence. I wish they used detailed list here. Because this part can be understood in a few different ways:

destruction of all elements of the control system (or the remaining controls left), which makes impossible to control the ailerons, elevators and rudders

I understand this part like three separate severe damage conditions:

• destruction of all ailerons,
  • destruction or all elevators,
  • destruction of all rudders.

In my experience, it looks like the severe damage mechanics works this way in the game. It also makes sense, as all these conditions are serious damage that affects the flight performance in a huge way.

I think they wrote it this way, because you can also destroy control cables in the game. And this is also counted as severe damage (it leads to the inability to control the mentioned elements).

okay

I’m saying that the way aircraft are in game right now if you hit them with just one round of like 7.562 or .50 cal it’s not going to snap off a wing like everyone thinks it should. I would like to see more damage/better damage models in game but idk when that’ll happen. So I’d probably swing closer to that first part of take more damage

what do you mean better damage models?

are you actually expecting an MG round to do anything to an aircraft?

Umm idk how about more realistic ones for certain aircraft? Or more detailed ones? Just for starters.

Just one? No, nothing significant unless it hit something vital like the engine. Or if is incendiary

not not really just 1 hit… im talking 5 to 10 ish hits… and even 2 or 3 head on hits… meaning it was more than likely shot in the engine… yet they just… keep flying, with no issues.

Oh okay, then yeah I’d like to see changes. Especially that last scenario. Like I already know it does stuff but it could easily do more. Also like if you get hit in the prop I’d like to see shaking in the aircraft

Or be able to shave of parts if aircraft with prop and same with shack the prop

yup… any type of damage really… should be much more significant… Mostly.

lol just edit your other message, dont make Another message , especially replying to yourself