Eurofighter Typhoon Tranche 1 Block 2: The Storm Approaches

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Overview
The Eurofighter Typhoon is a 4th generation fighter developed primarily by the UK, Germany, Italy, and Spain. It was built in several variants, called tranches, of which Tranche 1 was of course the first. Germany was the first country to receive its Typhoons in 2003, ordering 44 of the type, though 11 would instead go to Austria with Germany receiving 11 extra Tranche 2s in exchange. The Block 2 in particular was the second service batch (go figure) and the first fighter Block. Most importantly for this suggestion, the Block 2 Typhoons were yet to feature IRIS-T, AIM-120C, or the DASS’s MAW and ECM jammers, instead being limited to AIM-9L(I)s, AIM-120Bs, and conventional countermeasures, making them much more balanced alongside current aircraft.

*All images not necessarily of T1B2 aircraft as visually identifying them is too hard

History

Expand

Predecessor Programs
The Typhoon can be traced back to 1971, with two separate programs in Britain and Germany. These programs would unite as the European Combat Fighter in 1979, with France joining later that year. The program would collapse in 1981 due to the different requirements of the French Armed Forces, and Britain and Germany, now joined by Italy, would continue development under the Agile Combat Aircraft Programme. In 1983, this would be succeeded by the Future European Fighter Programme, now joined by Spain. France would join only to cause the collapse of the program a second time, and Italy, Germany, and the UK would restart the project in 1985 as the Eurofighter, with Spain rejoining but France not allowed to participate. They would instead start their own Avion de Combat Experimental program, resulting in the Rafale.

Development
In 1986, the first prototype of the Eurofighter, the BAe Experimental Aircraft Programme, was produced in 1986. The same year, development splits were finalized according to expected orders—Britain and Germany wanted 250 aircraft, so BAe and DASA would shoulder 33% of development, Italy ordered 165, so Aeritalia would provide 21% of developments, and Spain planned to operate 100, so CASA would contribute 13% to the development effort.
The collapse of the Soviet Union, Reunification of Germany, and end of the Cold War caused substantial delays to the Eurofighter program. Germany actually tried to pull out of the program in 1992, but was already too invested and after the French debacles a severe penalty for withdrawing from the program had been implemented. In 1995, all countries decreased their orders as Cold War tensions thawed. Britain decreased their order to 232, Germany to 180, Italy to 121, and Spain to 87. As such, development shares were redistributed. Production actually began in 1994, with seven prototypes called Development Aircraft. DA1 was a German aircraft used primarily for engines and flight testing. DA2 was British and used for flight envelope testing. DA3 was Italian and used for primarily weapons tests. DA4 was British and used for radar testing, as was the German DA5. DA6 was Spanish and used to further refine handling, and finally DA7 was Italian for weapons testing.
Following the DA Typhoons were the Instrumented Production Aircraft. These first eight production aircraft were used as testbeds for various systems, essentially being the prototypes of later Blocks and Tranches. Because this suggestion is for the most basic combat model I won’t go into detail on these aircraft.

Production and Service
The first production batch of Typhoons were appropriately designated the Block 1. These were twin-seat trainer aircraft with many missing avionics and limited armament, making them combat-capable only by technicality. These aircraft were produced from 2003-2004. In 2004, the first combat variant of the Typhoon entered production, this being the Block 2. The Typhoon was always intended to be a multirole fighter, but to address the years of delays in the program (the Typhoon was originally planned to enter service in 1996) air-to-air capability was prioritized over air-to-ground capability, and the Block 2 aircraft initially had no air-to-ground armament whatsoever, excluding the built-in cannon. Italy and especially Britain would later introduce limited air-to-ground capabilities for their Block 2s but Germany waited until the Tranche 2 upgrade due to budget issues. The Block 2 Typhoons were used by JG 73’s 731st and 732nd squadrons, replacing the MiG-29G and F-4F ICE respectively.

Tranche 1 Upgrades
Following the Block 2 the first upgrade was the Block 2B. This fully integrated the Typhoon’s avionics and armament, introducing the Striker HMSS, MIDS datalink, radar Non-Cooperative Target Recognition, full DASS self-defense suite including MAWS and ECM jammers, PIRATE IRST, and compatibility with the advanced IRIS-T AAM. These aircraft were delivered in 2005.
The next model was the Block 5, bringing the Typhoon up to full initial capabilities. It introduced night vision for the Striker helmet, an autopilot, terrain-following radar functionality, and compatibility with various LGBs with the Litening III guidance pod (not used on German aircraft). These aircraft would be produced in 2006-2007, and existing Tranche 1s would be converted to Block 5 standard between 2007-2012 as part of the Retrofit 2 program. Block 5 was the last Tranche 1 model.
The Typhoon would continue to be upgraded (and still is today) with additional armament options, both in air-to-air and air-to-ground, as well as improved software and avionics, the introduction of the highly advanced AESA CAPTOR-E radar, reduced radar cross-section, and even thrust-vectoring engines, making it still one of the most capable aircraft in the world today, despite the increasing prevalence of 5th generation fighters.

Specifications

Expand

Airframe
Length: 15.96m
Span: 10.95m
Height: 5.28m
Wing Area: 51.2m^s
Empty Weight: 10,995kg
Loaded Weight: 16,500kg
MTOW: 23,000kg

Propulsion
2x EJ200 afterburning turbofan
Max Thrust (dry): 60kN, each
Max Thrust (WEP): 90kN, each
Max TWR: 1.67
Internal Fuel: 6,215L
External Fuel: 3x 1000L

Flight Performance
Clean
Max Speed (sea level): 1,530km/h (Mach 1.24)
Max Speed (11km): 2,125 km/h (Mach 2.00)
Max Climb Rate (sea level): 315m/s
Max G Load: +9/-3g
Brakes-off to 9,000m and Mach 1: 60s

With 2x AMRAAM, 4x IRIS-T
Max Speed (sea level): 1,390km/h (Mach 1.13)
Max Speed (11km): 2,125 km/h (Mach 2.00)
Max Climb Rate (sea level): 293m/s
Brakes-off to 10,690m and Mach 1.5: 150s
Instantaneous Turn Rate: <30deg/s*
Sustained Turn Rate: <23deg/s*
*data from Tranche 3As with thrust-vectoring the naturally increases performance

Armament
Built-in:
1x 27mm BK-27 revolver cannon
27x145mm
150 rounds
1,025m/s
1,700RPM

Fuselage Hardpoints:
4x AIM-120B AMRAAM

Inner Wing Hardpoints:
2x AIM-120B AMRAAM
2x AIM-9L
2x AIM-9L(I)

2x AIM-9L(I)-1

AIM-9L(I)-1 with smokeless motor of AIM-9M, making the two identical in-game

Outer Wing Hardpoints
2x AIM-9L
2x AIM-9L(I)
2x AIM-9L(I)-1

Systems
ECR-90C CAPTOR-M I-band PD radar
±60deg elevation and azimuth
Modes: PD, PDV, TWS, AQC, TRK
Max Detection Range (fighter-sized target): 135-185km
Max Targets Tracked/Engaged: 20/6

32x large-calibre countermeasures (built-in)
2x Saab AB 108 BOL pods, 160 countermeasures each

The Typhoon in-game

Expand

The Typhoon would be very similar in performance to other top fighters such as the F-15, Su-27, and JAS-39. While it wouldn’t be quite as capable in BVR as an F-15C/J, nor likely as good in a close dogfight as an F-16C, JAS-39C, or even Su-27, its overall performance would be arguably the best in the game and it would be a huge boon as a 13.7 or even 14.0 fighter for its three operators, something Germany in particular is lacking. It’d be a great all-around air superiority fighter, though completely lacking in CAS capabilities, without a bomb or rocket to its name.
As described in the overview, the reasoning for adding the Block 2 specifically is to allow the introduction of a less capable configuration comparable to current top tier aircraft, with AIM-120Bs and AIM-9L(I)s for the German and Italian aircraft and AIM-9Ms for the British one. Save the IRIS-T and ASRAAM that the Typhoons are known for for the Tranche 2, or a later Tranche 1 (Block 5?). Introducing the Typhoons with AIM-9s additionally will at least postpone the balancing issue of ASRAAMs having double the range of IRIS-Ts.

Pros:

• Highly maneuverable and agile
  • Decently fast with good climb rate and excellent acceleration
  • Highly effective AIM-9L(I) and AIM-120B missiles
  • Powerful CAPTOR-M radar based on the Sea Harrier’s Blue Vixen
  • High countermeasure count

Cons:

• Low fire rate and ammunition supply for BK-27, gunfight as a last resort only
  • Cannot carry as many missiles as an Su-27, nor as many ARH missiles as an F-15
  • No CAS/bombing capabilities whatsoever
  • No HMD
  • Limited capabilities compared to later Typhoon models

Gallery

Expand

General Photos
Standard air-to-air loadout of the Typhoon, the only loadout available for the Block 2. Can also be 4/4 BVRAAM/SRAAM (AIM-9/IRIS-T, not the missile named the SRAAM)

Italian Typhoon with that armament. Unfortunately there are very few photos of Typhoons with AIM-9s, simply because the IRIS-T replaced them so quickly

Some German Typhoons with Sidewinders, unfortunately can’t find a photo of full load

Systems

Captor-M radar

EJ-200 engine at full throttle

The BK-27 cannon is in the starboard wing root

Liveries
Standard monochrome grey

Alternate camo with darker spine

two-tone camo of DA/IPA aircraft

Interesting display camos from various events

Sources

Expand

“Eurofighter Typhoon: Storm Over Europe”- Hugh Harkins
Eurofighter Typhoon
Eurofighter Typhoon
Rafale ‘Dogfights’ Eurofighter Typhoon Over The Mediterranean; Which Fighter Jet Will Emerge Dominant? (eurasiantimes.com)
Eurofighter Typhoon - Germany's Best Fighter Jet

Also check out the excellent suggestions for the British and Italian Tranche 1s!

2 Likes

If Fa18 is getting added then Britain Italy and Germany needs typhoon to balance the books. america has the highest win rate at top tier and we need to kick them back to the curb like at mid tier

the storm that is approaching

+1 Very good the early 4th gen fighter aircraft for germany tech tree

It could be after F-4F KWS LV (ICE) and BR 13.7

I would love to see this aircraft coming into the game but just a note it should technically be possible to carry 8 ARH missiles plus two infrared missiles but there’s not much evidence to support that

what even is this comment “kick them back to the curb” lol
F/A-18 while capable of a fighter roll was a multirole aircraft, not sure the typhoon is a comparison to the hornet. Perhaps the typhoon is more similar to something along the lines of the F22? Since they were both “introduced” in 2003 and 2005 respectively.
I am against adding any late 4.5 gen and 5th gen fighters into this game however until we get proper counter munitions such as AWACS, larger maps, real objectives brought to RB similar to in SB, an overhaul of bombers so that interceptor aircraft have something to actually intercept (tu95, B-1, Tu-160, “F”-117, B-2, etc.) and a comprehensive BR map PRIOR to the release of these aircraft that disallows them from flying against aircraft that truly have little to no defense against these modern systems.
But absolutely, the typhoon will be a highlight amongst the eventual arrival of the 4.5-5th gen. aircraft that will inevitably grace the games skies.

In literally what characteristic beyond introduction date? Remember that the T-2 and F-15 entered service in 1975 and 1976 respectively, doesn’t mean they are anywhere comparable!

im really just matching OPs absurdity with “kick them to the curb” with a little of my own absurdity, and giving him/her a little reality check of how outdated the typhoon was the moment it was introduced. Especially since OP wants to compare the typhoon to the f/a-18c which was introduced in the 80s and had worse missiles, until later updates.
That being said on a real note, I believe a lot of players are learning what was learnt IRL, that the weapons platform is second to the weapons being carried.
The typhoon if introduced in the current state of the game would very likely not be able to use its real life loadouts to maintain “balance.” And as i stated previously, i dont believe any of that should be added until gaijin outlines a roadmap and fixes their game.

Also this is an interesting article to read about the f-22 vs the eurofighter typhoon going head to head in combat games. I may be an american, but im not so disillusioned as to think the f22 is an untouchable aircraft, and certainly the eurofighter is an incredible aircraft as well! Despite slightly different philosophies (f22 introducing a new type of warfare and the eurofighter “perfecting” an existing type) they absolutely would dominate anything in game currently and as such shouldnt be added till way later, but i do want the eurofighter added! (Can the Eurofighter Typhoon Beat the F-22 Raptor in a Dogfight? | The National Interest)

I believe you missed quite a key part of this suggestion- the Block 2 Typhoons only used missiles we currently see in-game, AIM-120Bs and AIM-9M copies, same as would be found on an F/A-18C. Just as we won’t see AIM-9X on the F-18C (or F-15C or F-16C currently), despite carrying them, we won’t see IRIS-T on the Typhoon. At least at first, later blocks of both aircraft will surely introduce such capabilities.

1 Like

but they add J10 without any change