EPHAG: Crocodile killer

Would you like to see this in game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hunting crocodiles has never been so much fun!

One bird, One stone… at Mach 3

Around 1990, the German defence firm Diehl BGT, noticing the apparent lack of self defence for tanks against airborne weapon systems (primarily helicopters), set to work on a gun-fired anti air projectile. While this could not be classified as a missile as it was unpropelled, it is a projectile fired using the Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 and L/55 smoothbore cannons.

Being a discarding-sabot gun-launched self-guided projectile, it requires either lock on before launch or LOAL (lock-on-after-launch). It is equipped with an IR seeker utilising quadrant sensors coupled with an air-bearing, air-driven free gyro thereby giving it impeccable DIRCM resistance.

The German government even saw promise in the munition and decided to fund official testing for two years starting from 1996. Going so far as successful demonstrations in Bundeswehr field trials. However, due to military doctrine, the concept of tanks engaging helicopters with a designated projectile was dropped even though it was a successful project.

Testing

Diehl BGT has done several test firings of the projectile from L/44 guns against 2x2 and 0.5x0.5 m^2 targets, successfully engaging them at ranges of 4 to 6 kilometres using the warhead of small kinetic and high explosive sub-munitions housed inside the aft section of the projectile.

Projectile guidance is done through an IR seeker which gives commands to the onboard computer which in turn, guides the four deployable aerodynamic cruciform wings.

Something interesting about the EPHAG as compared to other guided munitions is the control method. Instead of using the fins as rotatable control surfaces, the fins slide across the middle length of the projectile in pairs, there by altering its centre of gravity and flight characteristics and guiding the missile into the target. The wing actuator system uses two cobalt-samarium electromotors, one for each wing pair, to slide the wings and guide the projectile.

EPHAG also has an extendable metal spike at the head to reduce aerodynamic drag by deflection and breaking of stagnant air in the flight path.

Technical Specifications

Round weight: unknown (around 20 to 28kg)
Projectile weight: unknown (around 10 to 20kg)
Projectile acceleration: 35,000 G’s
Maximum speed: 3705km/h (Mach 3)
Maximum overload: unknown (around 20G)(on top of the acceleration G’s)
Warhead mass: unknown (around)
Maximum range: 6km
Maximum flight time: 5.5 to 6 seconds (not limited)

EPHAG in game

Because it was trialled on the L/44 in Germany, these German vehicles should receive this projectile:

Vehicles that do not match the operator country (Leo 2PL) should be able to utilise this shell but since this project was born and died in Germany without export, such vehicles cannot use it. Vehicles made and retired before this shells development should also not receive this shell.

Pictures

Above image shows the discarding sabot nature of EPHAG

EPHAG internals, note the nose spike extended as well as the slits where the fins slide

Sources
4 Likes

Finally here lol, we are so back…

If only I had this 2 hours ago while fighting a premium Su-25 😔

1 Like

su-39?
cuz those things are rinsing my Bo-105s man…
even my stock tiger aint no luck

Nah, Su-25K cus i was in the 2A4

man those things are really spammed out

What a fun little shell. From which vehicle would this be available? Leo 2a4? Or a5 at minimum?

1 Like

L/55 cannons (for Germany only) included.

1 Like

+1, I like seeing experimental ammunition, would love to see some for other countries as well like MRM and STAFF for Abrams, triple-tandem HEATFS for Russia etc.

Altough I think it should be limited to the Leopard 2A5 and above variants, similar to how M830A1 is not available for the M1A1.

3 Likes

well idk about limiting it further because the 2A4 was the first and possibly the only tank to actually fire the projectile (the guns being the same mean it can be fired from any future leopards).
besides, i doubt a shell going from 11.7 (should be 11.3) on the 2A5 to 10.3 on the 2A4 will make much of a difference as around 10.3 you can see 11.3 helicopters.