Chaos in the Skies: The Devastating Impact of the Su-25SM3 in War Thunder

What we should be asking is for gaijin to remove the Pantsir and the KH-38s. The 2S6 was more than good enough before the Pantsir was added.

2 Likes

can’t ru mains used it to kill tanks and not to kill planes so it was deemed? not “good enough” so here we are with pantsir

Don’t forget that the TorM1 wasn’t good enough so instead of adding it to Russia after China, they instead add the Pantsir.

2 Likes

I think that was a lame excuse so they could add the Pantsir. When used in the AA role the 2S6 was one of the best AA in the game at the time.

Yep they complained the TORM1 wasn’t good enough said the 2S6 was bad so they then immediately added the Pantsir, nerfed the 2S6, and buffed the TORM1 because gaijin

Way ahead of ya:

Just nerf the offending weapons, don’t make the problem worse.

Reduce the guidance time or the fuel load for the KH38s so they are easier to dodge if they were fired at a range above 10km and this would already be way less of an issue.

1 Like

It was the worst. Yes, considering the old missile physics it was still a pretty dangerous spaa. In a better state than current adats for example, but it was the worst among top tier spaa. Slowest missile, worst overload, bad range, worst unstable radar (partly cured by IRST lock though).

So basically… not the A-10

The problem as far as I know is a lot of our Guided Weapons are kinda… GPS guided

Because why should just one nation be allowed to do it lol.

I mean, I’d happily play as an Air to Air only fighter for 99% of the game but a) spawn cost, and b) map size means that you can get nuked even if you’re well away from the battlefield, if you’re a NATO plane.

Need plane spawns furthur away from the battlefield so they aren’t spawn camped then more Pantsir equivalents added to TT that need it.

FF (Fighter First) is always nice in concept but everyone knows how it will turn out at some point. Fighters just killing all light tanks that spawn 25 seconds into the match.

Again, we should be asking gaijin to nerf the KH38s, not ask for more similar weapons capable of outranging the SPAAs

3 Likes

I mean I’d love to run around in my Tornado F.3 doing nothing but top cover. Trouble is that a) AA, b) flat maps, c) Chinese Helicopters, and d) Vikhrs. (yes i know they’re supposed to have been nerfed. they really shouldn’t be tracking mach 1 crossing targets that are manouevring but you know)

1 Like

I can’t see Gaijin doing that. I’d like them to, but I don’t see it happening. Hence why I’d just prefer to advocate for even more effective fighters and our own CAS. The moment they start adding ARMs NATO’s world will get a whole lot better. HARMs and ALARMs would ruin Pantsirs outright.

1 Like

ALARM can only track the Pantsir search radar, so if its turned that off and just using the track radar or IRST ALARM will be blind to it.

List of systems correct up to 1 year ago of radars ALARM can track;

Spoiler

US

M163 Track: I band, 8-10 GHz

M247 Search: I band, 8-10 GHz

M247 Track(APG-66): J band, 10-20 GHz

SAG MPDR-16 Search radar (XM975, FlaRakPz, FlaRakRad, Roland 1): D band, 1-2 GHz

Thomson-CSF Domino 30 Track radar (XM975, FlaRakPz, FlaRakRad, Roland 1): J band, 10-20 GHz

ADATS Search: I band, 8-10 GHz

Germany

SAG MPDR-12 Search radar (Gepard, Gepard 1A2): E band, 2-3 GHz

SAZ purse doppler monopulse Track radar (Gepard, Gepard 1A2): J band, 10-20 GHz

SAG MPDR-16 Search radar (XM975, FlaRakPz, FlaRakRad, Roland 1): D band, 1-2 GHz

Thomson-CSF Domino 30 Track radar (XM975, FlaRakPz, FlaRakRad, Roland 1): J band, 10-20 GHz

USSR

1RL34(ZSU-37-2): I band, 8-10 GHz

1RL33(ZSU-23-4): J band, 10-20 GHz

9S86 Track(Strela-10M2): I band, 8-10 GHz

1RL144 Search(2S6): E band, 2-3 GHz

1RL144 Track(2S6): J band, 10-20 GHz

1RS1 Search(Pantsir-S1) F band, 3-4GHz

UK

Marconi S-400(Marksman system): I band, 8-10 GHz

Rooikat Search(ZA-35): E band, 2-3 GHz

ADATS Search: I band, 8-10 GHz

Japan

Type 87 Search: I band, 8-10 GHz

Type 87 Track: J band, 10-20 GHz

China

PGZ-09 Search: E band, 2-3 GHz

PGZ-09 Track: J band, 10-20 GHz

CLC-1 Search(PGZ04A): E band, 2-3 GHz

Tor-M1 Search: F band, 3-4 GHz

Italy

SMA VPS-A05 Search(OTOMATIC): E band, 2-3 GHz

France

DR-VC-1A Search(AMX-30DCA): E band, 2-3 GHz

Rodeo-2 Search(SANTAL): E band, 2-3 GHz

Crotale Search: E band, 2-3 GHz

Crotale Track: J band, 10-20 GHz

Sweden

Marconi S-400(VEAK 40): I band, 8-10 GHz

Thomson CSF Harfang TRS 2620 H(Lvkv 9040C): I band, 8-10 GHz

ASRAD Search: I band, 8-10 GHz

Crotale Search: E band, 2-3 GHz

Crotale Track: J band, 10-20 GHz

Israel

M163 Track: I band, 8-10 GHz

1RL33(ZSU-23-4): J band, 10-20 GHz

Not only do I not see them adding Anti Radiation Missiles, I don’t think they would solve anything.
I would wager that Anti Radiation Missiles would only make it worse.

Literally just drop the Pantsirs range down to 11-12km to be in line with the rest of the world and nerf (or get rid of) the KH38s.

1 Like

That requires a Pantsir player to be intelligent enough to know to switch the search radar off. And then they have to sit with said radar off for 5-10 minutes.

6 Likes

True and as long as the search radar was on when the ALARM was fired it will hit the last known position after its loiter phase. If the radar is turned back on at any point during the launch or loiter the position is updated again. Its a scary missile.

Nice little anecdote;

4 Likes

Yeah… I thought HARM would still hit last known position but I’m guessing with insufficient accuracy.

Either way, ALARM would force any SPAA to be significantly more cautious in switching on its radar

I might be remembering incorrectly but I think HARM targets main beam transmissions, where as ALARM can track side lobes, makes ALARM alot more flexible.

1 Like

Basic HARMs use an older much more sensitive kinematic estimation method for triangulation(Park’s Ranging Estimator), which can correlate a target at extreme range as long as it receives returns for long enough. The issue is that it can be very inaccurate if it isn’t provided with enough data. or if the returns are intermittent, since it uses angular and strength information from the seeker and INS info to establish target position and movement relative to the traveled path, and then refines the estimation over time to home in on the target.

The other thing is that the INS wasn’t that good until the later variants included a GPS bootstrapper to accurately initialize and maintain INS return accuracy(AGM-88D or earlier AUR’s that have undergone the Block VI aka. Block IIIB refit / remanufacture). which occurred in the early '00s

These days though the AGM-88E & -G have a MMW Seeker so terminal accuracy is less of an issue, assuming it ends up in the same postcode as a target.

8 Likes