British Helicopter Tech Tree - Discussion Topic

IRL Starstreaks are great against helicopters and jets, they are just implemented very poorly at the moment.

5 Likes

What’s equally interesting is the fact that this is a naval Lynx (HAS.2 or HAS.3 specifically).

Do we have any further information about this?

1 Like

I am currently looking into some helicopters which haven’t had suggestions written about them, and I had gotten to the Wessex. However, I ran into some issues when trying to find images, as there seems to be a some differences between the images.

There are two Wessex variants which I am researching currently, the Wessex Commando Mk.1 and the Wessex HU.5. The main difference in regards to the airframes is in the engines, with the Commando Mk.1 having a single Napier Gazelle engine, and the HU.5 using a twin Rolls-Royce Gnome layout, which gives it a longer nose.

My main question is whether it would be possible to help me confirm the identity of some photos, as I believe that some of the images have been mixed up when being posted online. I am of the opinion that the images in the first spoiler are the Wessex Commando Mk.1, however, I would like to get a some confirmations about this before continuing my research.

Here are the images I am referring to:

Spoiler

Here is the Westland Wessex Commando Mk.1:

Spoiler

In comparison, here is the Westland Wessex HU.5:

Spoiler

3 Likes

First two are HU.5s, third one is a HAS.1 possibly in the Commando role, but I suspect it’s XM330 that was the RN and later Royal Aircraft Establishment Wessex HAS.1 used for various tests including qualifying the AS.11 and AS.12 on Wessex Mk.1.
Exhausts are how you tell the Napier engined ones apart from the later Gnome ones. Napier engine had two small exhausts on each side where the RR engines was one big exhaust on each side. The intake screen on the nose was a later addition (1966/1967-ish) because they sucked up debris from the ground.
Can see the RR Gnome behind an early un-modified nose here:

Late HU.5s would also have swapped the original .303 Browning machine gun installation for a 7.62mm GPMG (probably from the 1970s onward)

HU.5s took over the commando role within 3 years so you don’t see many images of armed Mk.1s. But they did have the same weapon pylons as commonly seen on the HU.5

Can see the empty Browning pod still fitted in the above

And empty AS.11 launchers on the outboard position in the above

1 Like

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the images too! It was a real pain trying to find proper images of the Wessex Commando Mk.1s, especially with the loading bars for weapons.

Here is a list of potential helicopters which can be added to the UK Tree. I am going to split the list between UK procured and exports.

UK procured:

Westland Wessex Commando Mk.1

Spoiler

Westland Wessex HU.5

Spoiler

Westland Commando

Spoiler

Westland Lynx XW839

Spoiler

Westland Lynx XX907

Spoiler

Westland Lynx HAS.2/HAS.3/HMA.8

Spoiler

Seaborne Lynxes: Westland Lynx HAS.2/HAS.3/HMA.8 - Passed for Consideration - War Thunder - Official Forum

Westland Lynx AH.5

Spoiler

Westland Lynx AH.7

Spoiler

Westland Lynx 3

Spoiler

Westland Lynx ZB500

Spoiler

AgustaWestland SuperLynx 300 ZT800

Spoiler

AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat HMA.2

Spoiler

Agusta A109 Hirundo

Spoiler

Agusta A109 Hirundo: Shaken Not Stirred

BAE Hind-D Upgrade

Spoiler

BAE Mi-24 Hind-D: Hind goes to Britain

Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian

Spoiler

Westland-Sikorsky WS-70 Blackhawk

Spoiler

Mil Mi-17-1V

Spoiler

Aerospatiale Gazelle XW276

Spoiler

Export:

AgustaWestland SuperLynx 300 Mk.140

Spoiler

[DZ] AgustaWestland Super Lynx 300 Mk.140: Algeria's trustworthy Cat

AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat HMA.2 (ROK)

Spoiler

Westland Sea King Mk.42B

Spoiler

Westland Commando Mk.3

Spoiler

6 Likes

Edited my list to include the Westland Blackhawk

In terms of British-made stuff there’s also AW101 Merlins that can technically carry rockets and gunpods:

Now a caveat that this is a demo for potential export and no Merlins in British or Italian service (a modified Italian Merlin Mk.410/UH-101A is used for the purpose of the demonstration - in 2009 British Merlins were stretched supporting operations abroad) can reasonably be armed like this because of where the emergency flotation system that is vital for Merlin in both British and Italian service, is located on the wheel sponsons.
In service they also lack both the wiring and software necessary to support installation and firing of such weapons. Also there are other considerations like the current location of defensive aids subsystems (flare dispensers, DIRCM, RWR etc.) that might be damaged by rocket exhausts and muzzle blast, further making it costly to modify them in such a way that would allow it in reality.
But none the less posting it as an example of another helicopter that could be armed for Britain and Italy.

1 Like

Do we know what launchers these are?

Newark museum has them labeled as AS.11 launchers. But they don’t seem to match any known of that kind:

Look alot more like HOTs or Milans to me? Can Milans even be fired heli mounted?

1 Like

Would be the world’s smallest HOT tube.

Same Gazelle is pictured with a TOW tube here:

Spoiler

50275826672_c74aba2691_c

1 Like

Yeah they don’t really look like AS.11 or AS.12 launchers.
I do think it is a launcher or saddle for mounting missiles though rather than missile tubes itself. Diameter seems too small for ATGMs

To my understanding, the intention was to equip Gazelle with Hawkswing. But the Hawkswing project died (wasn’t as good as TOW and HOT) so the Gazelle ended up unarmed.
The Avimo/Ferranti AF532 sights fitted on the roof of AAC Gazelles since the 1980s is a modified version of the AF530 sight that was developed for Hawkswing, tested on Scout and seen mounted on the WG-13 prototypes before TOW was finally selected for Lynx along with the Hughes M65 sight. Not the same APX 334 “Athos” sight on French Gazelles
AF530

Tow! That’s what I was trying to think of but all I could think of was Milan

Interesting experimental Lynx AH.5/7 variant with a nose-mounted sight gimbal

From: Legendary Moments in Military Aviation: A&AEE Boscombe Down photo's from the 1990's.

4 Likes

Apparently it was being looked at in the mid-to-late after Hawkswing was cancelled
MILAN
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA035768.pdf
I think the picture in question is probably from several years earlier though.

Scout could also be fitted with 2 Inch RP rockets or a Door minigun

4 Likes

This video seems to show that very Gazelle mounting those same little missiles. Maybe from the video people can get a better indication of what they are?

3 Likes

Excellent find.
I’m still none the wiser on exactly what they are though. They’re certainly closer in scale to MILAN than HOT, TOW and what little I’ve seen of Hawkswing.
However, can determine from IWM listing for the video that the footage was produced in 1971:

AFAIK 1971 is far too early for air-launch trials for HOT which had quite a protracted development.
TOW was in service in the ground but only just having air-launched demonstration firings for the US military in '71. With operational evaluation starting in Vietnam with XM26 launchers in 1972
First Hawkswing firings were in 1972 using a Scout
MILAN was completing trials and would be in service in France next year

No clue unfortunately, however, those are the same loading bars as the French Gazelles, so it can theoretically get any weapon the early French ones can