British Helicopter Tech Tree - Discussion Topic

In terms of British-made stuff there’s also AW101 Merlins that can technically carry rockets and gunpods:

Now a caveat that this is a demo for potential export and no Merlins in British or Italian service (a modified Italian Merlin Mk.410/UH-101A is used for the purpose of the demonstration - in 2009 British Merlins were stretched supporting operations abroad) can reasonably be armed like this because of where the emergency flotation system that is vital for Merlin in both British and Italian service, is located on the wheel sponsons.
In service they also lack both the wiring and software necessary to support installation and firing of such weapons. Also there are other considerations like the current location of defensive aids subsystems (flare dispensers, DIRCM, RWR etc.) that might be damaged by rocket exhausts and muzzle blast, further making it costly to modify them in such a way that would allow it in reality.
But none the less posting it as an example of another helicopter that could be armed for Britain and Italy.

1 Like

Do we know what launchers these are?

Newark museum has them labeled as AS.11 launchers. But they don’t seem to match any known of that kind:

Look alot more like HOTs or Milans to me? Can Milans even be fired heli mounted?

1 Like

Would be the world’s smallest HOT tube.

Same Gazelle is pictured with a TOW tube here:

Spoiler

50275826672_c74aba2691_c

1 Like

Yeah they don’t really look like AS.11 or AS.12 launchers.
I do think it is a launcher or saddle for mounting missiles though rather than missile tubes itself. Diameter seems too small for ATGMs

To my understanding, the intention was to equip Gazelle with Hawkswing. But the Hawkswing project died (wasn’t as good as TOW and HOT) so the Gazelle ended up unarmed.
The Avimo/Ferranti AF532 sights fitted on the roof of AAC Gazelles since the 1980s is a modified version of the AF530 sight that was developed for Hawkswing, tested on Scout and seen mounted on the WG-13 prototypes before TOW was finally selected for Lynx along with the Hughes M65 sight. Not the same APX 334 “Athos” sight on French Gazelles
AF530

Tow! That’s what I was trying to think of but all I could think of was Milan

Interesting experimental Lynx AH.5/7 variant with a nose-mounted sight gimbal

From: Legendary Moments in Military Aviation: A&AEE Boscombe Down photo's from the 1990's.

2 Likes

Apparently it was being looked at in the mid-to-late after Hawkswing was cancelled
MILAN
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA035768.pdf
I think the picture in question is probably from several years earlier though.

Scout could also be fitted with 2 Inch RP rockets or a Door minigun

3 Likes

This video seems to show that very Gazelle mounting those same little missiles. Maybe from the video people can get a better indication of what they are?

3 Likes

Excellent find.
I’m still none the wiser on exactly what they are though. They’re certainly closer in scale to MILAN than HOT, TOW and what little I’ve seen of Hawkswing.
However, can determine from IWM listing for the video that the footage was produced in 1971:

AFAIK 1971 is far too early for air-launch trials for HOT which had quite a protracted development.
TOW was in service in the ground but only just having air-launched demonstration firings for the US military in '71. With operational evaluation starting in Vietnam with XM26 launchers in 1972
First Hawkswing firings were in 1972 using a Scout
MILAN was completing trials and would be in service in France next year

No clue unfortunately, however, those are the same loading bars as the French Gazelles, so it can theoretically get any weapon the early French ones can

Neat find, would still be interesting to see in game. Speaking of Merlin, do we know if any British Merlins ever conducted any missile trials? I know some Italian ones did at some point.

Milan trials began in 1971 and the size of the tubes is close to that of Milan.

2 Likes

Aye, I was just in the middle of updating my posts with an assessment of the 1971 date against known trials and milestones of other ATGMs in development at the time.
MILAN does actually seem like the most likely candidate for this footage, though Hansard etc. indicates Hawkswing was the preferred missile at the time (along with the Beeswing man-portable variant that competed against MILAN for infantry and light vehicle use) because of the larger warhead. At least until Hawkswing/Beeswing was cancelled in 1975 and better alternatives like TOW and HOT had matured for air-launch, while MILAN was selected for ground use and apparently reconsidered for air-launch according to that US intel document.

I’d definitely endorse a Gazelle with notional armament of SNEB, 8-or-so MILAN or 4-6 Hawkswing (judging by the length of the mounting arm and the shorter one used in service) as an addition to the tree

1 Like

Makes sense, it’s quite interesting how much progress is being made on this issue

Very interesting video about this Italian 101. It’s possible also for the British One to get those since they are similar. Also I Will bring something new to’ the table, from the Thales website. It seem that It can also be equipped with the Laser guided rokets (FZ275) that in game Will give to’ the Heli good potential to’ be added

2 Likes

I don’t know much about the Italian AW101, but I’m not aware of the British one having a laser designator, so laser guided rocket’s wouldn’t be much use.

Yeah that was the issue that I was seeing when I looked at the British One. The Italian Is equipped with the FLIR Systems Star SAFIRE thermal imagers that can’ guide any laser weapons, while the British probably Will be only limited to’ normal roket since It Is not equipped with that camera.