Why is VL Pyörremyrsky at this low br of 4.3?

As far as I can see, VL Pyörremyrsky is literally a Bf-109G6 with Yak-3’s maneuverabilty and energy retention. Bf-109G6 is strong. Yak-3 is strong too, and sometimes even considered op. So what about VL Pyörremyrsky? Isn’t it supposed to be at 5.0? Or is this just another Strong Sewden gaijin thing?

5 Likes

Maybe 4.7 but never 5.0.
Sure it’s stronger than a G2 but lacks the weaponary of the G6. No Gunpods nor 30mm option.

1 Like

9 Likes

If the Yak-3P can be 5.0, the Pyörremyrsky can be as well :)

2 Likes

That… does not matter.

2 Likes

Limited ammo, very slow and very low rip speed = 4.3

Imho the plane turns way better than a Yak-3 - at least at lower speeds and in a sustained turnfight. I met recently a very good pilot using a joystick (we chatted later) and he managed to survive a rather long turnfight vs my B7A2 (started at roughly equal energy) until i ran out of ammo and he could escape.

Imho the Yak-3 and Yak-3P shine as they perform best at lower altitude - where the majority of fights take place - and their 20mm cannons are way easier to use than a MG 151 at ranges >400 meters. In addition both Yaks are way faster and have better climb below 5 km…

4 Likes

Strong sweden gaijin thing.

The VL lacks speed compared to other fighters, and compresses in a dive. However, a well flown VL is impossible to attack due to its ability to outclimb the opposition and instantly get on an attacker’s six if he misses a pass, followed by a devastating strike with the armament, which hits extremely hard. I own it and I have no doubt that it is overpowered.

The VL should go to BR 4.7 along with the P-51D-10. I doubt that it is worthy of 5.0 BR due to its straight-line speed limitations and its high speed compression. Still, it’s definitely a worthy opponent even to meta 4.7s such as Yak-9U, La-7 and (to a limited extent) the P-38L.

2 Likes

one 20mm cannon and two HMG is sort of a “standard weaponary”, and the Finnish 50cal is as good as, if not better than MG131. the gunpods are actually not very commonly seen among players, especially those with experience. gunpods noticeably worsen the flight performance, and the standard weaponary is adequate as long as you know how to aim.
In addition, while gunpods may be considered by gaijin as br influencing, we already have yak9u at 4.7 without gunpods and worse flight performance compared to VL Pyörremyrsky (yak9u is strong enough, though)

2 Likes

Strv 122B swallowing JM43’s shot from the side without losing crew member or crucial parts. lol Swedish Thunder

1 Like

I’m not quite sure about this. ShVAK rounds’ velocity changes drastically at >400m, especially at >600m.maybe you were misled by berezin machine gun.
Well, nose-placed weaponary and full FIT belt makes it easy to snipe with ShVAK, though.

And another thing. VL Pyörremyrsky has decent rip speed (compared to yak3, or even yak9u and la7), making it better suited for b&z

[

I am actually sure about this, as i used recently the I-185 (M 82) to unlock the M 71 version - as only USSR prop worth to revisit (with reference to my play style) on this account due to the way better high alt performance of the M 71.

Compared to my SM 92 (with 2 center mounted MG 151s) the ShVaks are sniper rifles whilst the MG 151s are grenade launchers. I managed to score long range kills >1 km with the ShVaks which became incredible rare with MG 151s due to way better ballistics.

I use for years 800 m convergence with vertical targeting “on” and a joystick, SFC with instructor off. After some matches to adopt, it became incredibly easy to score kills in the range 400 - 800 meters as you need way less lead to score hits…

2 Likes
Spoiler

Nah you can see how the round make a nice curve all the way to 800m.

MG 151/20 Mineshells on the other hand drop considerable, because they just lose so much velocity.

At 500m the ShVAK rounds (based on API penetration) are going ~475m/s while 20mm Mineshell has a velocity of 363m/s based on the source that they used to change the ballistics.

So after 400m the Mineshell will just have so much worse performance and they will drop considerable below the 20mm Tracer shells. It’s actually better to base the trajectory of Mineshells on the 13mm Tracer rounds.

1 Like

sweden bad, it’s the finnish the ones getting all the love. Mörkö, J35 with flares and probably future f18 squadron vehicle.

but the yak3p is slightly above BR’d, it’s a heavier yak3 with better guns that can’t do the small details the yak3 can do. The Pyö is already undertiered.

Strong, that area of Swedish aircraft sucks, massively, the early A-21’s are garbage; the T-18’s are decent, and the Copy-paste like FM of the others are lackluster.

Or maybe this is my memory from 2-3 years ago…

you’re completely right. Sweden is junk or almost junk. For the Finnish however…

Yeah, the A/J-21’s are pure pain, slow turn rate, bad energy retention, and the engine is a BMW, so it overheats like there’s no tomorrow. Doesn’t get interesting until the early J-21R Jets, because everything’s turn rate is par with it, and the jet helps its retention, but the fun doesn’t start until the Tunnans.

The guns are really nice but even that is something i cannot have the privilege to experiment since all my cannons for some weird ass reason deal like 1/5th of the damage of the rest. A friend of mine who lives in Italy also haves the same issue, might be the netcode of far west europe or something. And some spanish guy I sometimes play with has also insanely low damage output. Our duels on Mig19S are pure pain of spark and hit.

The 13.2’s are good, but that’s all I’ll give it. The Tunnan is the best fighter of 1948, out turns and out-runs the Sabre and MiG-15, just a generally good aircraft. I’ve been dogfighting a friend, MiG-23ML vs JA37C, pretty fun, for me at least, even without the missing Tracer rounds.

I’ve never really had an issue with the Tunnan D/F on Migsters. Hell, all I see is people going defensive in it and blasting from far away while others are busy. I also doubt it outruns them, as it is just barely 20kmh faster than the MiG15 non Bis. The JA37C is only good at outdogfighting F-5E’s that aren’t still below 14 minutes of fuel. F-5E is bullshit the moment it’s on 12 minutes of fuel, but before that it’s easy prey for delta wings.