Why is the LF Spitfire Mk.IX so loved?

20 minutes is what you want to have, 13 isn’t enough. You also want to use MEC if you are familiar to combat overheating when you need it (reducing prop pitch somewhat, open radiators). If you are on a very large map, there are still some around like Norway, one may opt for 30 minutes fuel… but, generally maps are much smaller than what they used to be so 20 would cut it. Frontline, maybe 13… but tbh I take 20 on those too with a LF to have some staying power when I need it

1 Like

I always take 20 so I can WEP when I need to and run away quickly when I need to RTB rather than having to go to like 30% because I don’t have enough fuel. MEC is really useful, I play controller so it’s not really accessible for me but I can confirm the radiators are HUGELY draggy so if you can try to stay on white or yellow never red.

20min is fine, dont burn your fuel off with wep if you can help it, it climbs perfectly with out. I only use MEC for air brake as it compresses before it red lines. Only the esrly spits that benefit with MEC, if they do at all

No one good wants to take the fight with spits, and no one else cares about winning so they all suicide in the middle furball as soon as possible. So the griffon ends up being unfun and boring because by the time your performance is relevant most of the enemies are dead and you have nothing to do. It could be more interesting if your team fails… but then the enemies just drain the tickets and the griffon can’t clean up aggressively like a 3U or F4U-4B.

If you’re going to play a Spitfire just play the LF IX.

4 Likes

Can confirm the LF IX does not want to stall with its flaps down. I came in on a LF IX that just took off while playing the VK-107, i was doing 400+ he couldnt have been doing more than 300 something. I went over him and did an ascending spiral expecting to stall him out. He did not stall, in fact he took off my rudder.

I then came down on him and blew out his engine and won, but it was very close. Way closer than it would’ve been if I was fighting a Ki-84 or the griffon.

2 Likes

Its a fantastic turn fighter just like the standard F Mk.IX, however it has a far more powerful engine due to the 150 Octane fuel upgrade it gets (unfortunately until you unlock that upgrade it flies just like a F Mk.IX at the stock grind)

1 Like

Yeah they like to prop-hang and do it well, they also have remarkable stall control. You can play them almost suicidally and still win if you know what you’re doing.

Ive had k4 asking me when does it stall i jokes about 80kph,. I dont like doing it, i dont like going slow withi it, safer not to for me on xbox, dodgy camera work. I want the plagis spit when its on sale ne t

I would unbind the lock on button and I instead use it for MG’s so you can make people turn.
Either way if its the right point in the fight its fine to stall behind someone so long as you’re sure you can kill them. That’s just confidence that comes with learning the guns and how the plane stalls.

Did you know we have a 2 stage trigger that if you pull half way it olyn fires mg’s and you pull all the way it fires cannins as well. You may need to adjust the multiplier and correction for it to work properly (Fire (Machine Guns / Cannons)

I did not know about that… Thats really neat i’ll give it a go because I could do with using that button for other things. Cheers dude, I can’t believe I didn’t know about that.

It the same with left trigger, you can track target or aim target, (Tracking / aiming axis) in camera control.
I only found out by accident, ive been messing around with controls for agies. Its a bit buggy ie when you try to rope de dope someone as when you track and control direction in certain angles to target you plane will dive, but your notice a white arrow around your screen telling you where your curser is. I have been trying to get gaijin to change / fix it for agies with not much of even a reply

I would be intrested to swap controler binds as i am allways experimenting and looking for new ideas and can maybe start a new topic in xbox section. I have some very interesting binds

If you start a topic I’d be happy to share all of mine with anyone who wants them. I too am always looking for new controller binds as there’s just too many features and too few buttons on a controller

1 Like

Please do share

Dont forget the attacker at 7.0. For an early jet. You can fly it like a late spitfire. I am currently spading it and am getting impressed.

Well isn’t it selfexplanatory?

Spitfires are already very good.
Most fughts in WT are at mid to low altitude.

The LF is the term for liw altitude speciqlized spitfires. So they are the ines that fit WT the best.

2 Likes

Her is a little history lesson.
Spitfire started off as sea launched racing planes for speed trials before WW2. Due to the armistice germany was banned from taking part. Germany being banned, they had no access to british tech, including cooling systems hence why bf109’s are heavier and over heat quicker

Germany cheated hard on the armistice including sending Bf 109s to fight in the spanish civil war. They found ways around it including building bombers under the pretense of passenger liners (see He 111). The armistice hindered them, but it didn’t stop them.

While the allies were generally ahead in tech the germans did have lots of great stuff including a computer for the engine that made throttling up as easy as sliding up the throttle bar. Meanwhile, Allied pilots had to adjust mixture, propeller pitch and throttle settings to change power, and when going to a lower throttle they had to do this in reverse order. Doing this wrong resulted in a lot of damaged engines.

In war thunder, most spitfires are uncompetitive against most Bf 109s. It’s only once we get to the LF IX and Mk XIV that the spitfire can put up a fight against anything resembling a coordinated team.

1 Like

Spitfire has a ton of drag because of large radiators.
Bf 109s were outperforming Spitfires significantly in early 1940. Then Brits hade received high octane fuel from US and so during BoB they gained the performance upper hand.
The thing is, for a large part of the war, Bf 109 was the faster of these 2 planes, and one of the reasons was better radiator design.

Germany was behind when it comes to fuel and engine oil. As a result Bf 109 and Fw 190 had to run lower engine oil temp, and since oil was mixing with fuel to some extent, this was slowing down the fuel evaporation from the oil, which caused oil to get diluted over time if engine was pushed too hard.
And C3 fuel was not only fairly rare, but also due to its properties, it was evaporating at a lower rate than allied high octane fuel.
End result?
You can’t really find any German engine being pushed really hard with C3 fuel. There’s some slight performance gain over B4+MW50, but it’s nowhere near as significant as in case of allied higher octane fuel.

1 Like