Why do the british phantoms just suck?

why are they so high? they are (to my knoweldge) worse then the US counterparts at the same BR (having less radar missiles, and ik skyflashes are meant to be good but recently they just dont work if the enemy is 6km+ away when launched for whatever reason) and they face amraams? like surely 11.7 would be better? they dont even have AIM-9L’s

and in the case of the fgrs… they should have 6 skyflashes… not 4? like the f4j uk only had 4 sure… but the fgrs had 6

You’ll have to provide a source for that. First time ive ever heard that.

As for the rest… yeah… probably need 9Ls or to be 11.7. Its wierd why Gaijin thinks they are equal to the Tornado F3, not too mention the other Phantoms that have better loadouts or better handling

5 Likes

they had 4 in the recesses and 2 on the plyons… atleast in the case of the fgr1 (tho granted they didnt carry all 6 normally, they normally carried 4 in the recess OR 2 on the wings but… i dont really see how you couldnt take all 6 if you wished?)

also (sorry for the 2nd message) i believe gaijin thought process is the fact they have speys? because yea the F4J has HMD and 6 Sparrows + 4 sidewinders… but the F4J UK had only 4 sparrows or skyflashes without a HMD… but its slightly faster? so maybe 2 missiles and HMD is = slightly better engine performance? idk what else

F4JUK doesnt have the Spey engines that is only the FGR2/FG1

F4JUK is universally worse performing than basically every other F4 in-game at or around that BR.

I’d agree about the FGR2/FG1 having the advantage of speed that mitigates its lack of loadout/handling, but most other 12.0 and above are faster. F3 easily leaves the FGR2 behind and my recent experience in SIm is that the Mig-23s and J-8s easily catch up to the FGR2 these days

It’s also probably because Gaijin doesn’t find the difference enough to justify a BR decrease. The F4J and FGRs don’t perform differently enough in their eyes for there to be a BR difference between the two, especially with how compressed air is already.

Define Phantom’s suck? Like what’s wrong with them?

less missiles then the 12.0 counterparts being the biggest, the f-4j uk is just worse then the f-4j

Lets put it this way

F4JUK [12.0]

4x Aim-9Gs
4x Skyflash DFs
no HMD
no leading edge slats

FGR2/FG1 [12.0]

4x Aim-9G
4x Skyflash DF
No HMD
no Leading edge slats
faster than most phantoms but also worse handling due to increased wieght from the better engines

F4S [12.0]

4x Aim-9H
4x Aim-7F (or more if you choose not to take as many IR)
HMD
Leading edge wing slats.

4 Likes

the fuck was the point of the decomp then? all they did was ruin all 10.0-11.0 aircraft

just move the f4j uk down to 11.7 or give it aim9L, hell do both, do both to all of them, if an a10 can face flareless planes then it can face an f4, i seriously dont understand in what world is it fair for them to meet bvr missiles… without an uptier, an uptier is even worse, 13.0 destroy 12.0s easily

at the very least they can fix skyflashes tho, like i feel like they broke them since the br changes, they kinda seem to just… die at 6km+? despite having a much much better seeker head then the earlier sparrows… the sparrows seem more reliable

Ive been palying the phantoms in Sim recently (great during the event) and 75% of the time they work great and then… every so often, they just dont. They miss or explode randomly. Its wierd

1 Like

F-4J UK Gunpod is Vulcan, other naval F-4 uses the colt cannon so i think that might be one.

It’s true, the FGR.2 could carry 6 skyflashes. I recently saw a picture of it carrying this loadout, let me go try and find it

1 Like

Other way round. The F-4J(UK) could in theory have six, but the FG.1 / FGR.2 likely only had the wiring for four.

Simple answer

They’re not american so they cannot get a ridiculously low BR.

That’s it.

Dammit I can’t find it now… I could’ve sworn I saw a picture of a (Blue?) FGR.2 carrying skyflashes on the underwing pylons

Maybe it was an F-4J(UK) because I know for a fact the J could carry underwing sparrows? I dunno

the F-4J UK never carried a skyflash on the wings, the Fgr1 (and probably) the fgr2 have pictures with them having skyflashes on the wings, there is just very very few photos if any of them carrying it on both the wings and the body, but theres no evidence to say the fgr1 couldnt carry 6

I’ve never come across any such photos are you sure they are not actually just photos of F-4Js?

Declassified MOD documents state that the ability to carry Sparrow (and thus Skyflash) on the wing pylons was removed from the FG.1 design (and therefore likely absent from the FGR.2 as that was based on the FG.1):

The BRs are still too packed together - particularly 11-13. A British Phantom is the same BR as the Tornado F3 which makes no sense at all.

Admittedly the multipathing nerf made them a bit more dangerous using the Skyflashes but still, it’s a struggle even with a fully spaded one. The stock grind must be awful by now…