Why are Magic 1s so flare hungry

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Because every missile is. How Gaijin models the Heat signature on aircraft is really bad and with few exceptions (like the harrier) most targets will defeat most missiles with ease.

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Now show the 9L

Afterburner range is front aspect*

Wow. Great retort. Every single missile in game is too easy to defeat. Aim-9L can almost always be 1 tapped flared by almost anything. I’ve even seen the same thing happen for Aim-9M and Magic-II.

We can see that the magic 1 is much more flare hungry than the 9L from this if I’m not mistaken

Band 2/0 difference is what determines it İİRC

1 Like

Compare band 0 and 2. Same value meaning that it is just as likely to go for a single non afterburning engine than a flare

Now if that engine runs colder than average like the F-5C or hotter than normal like the F-4E, F-14, and other big engines (or if the aircraft has two engines) it becomes easier for the missile to track the aircraft instead of the flares

If it’s afterburning aswell unless it is the f-5 it will also increase the temperature of the exahaust making it almost impossible to flare

I know

This is why gripen keeps flaring R-73/Magic 2 in rear aspect at short range

F-16 is hard to hit as well

Engine heat needs a rework

F-5C can’t be even locked with 9J at ≈2.5KM rear aspect full afterburner

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it, it works just fine

ok that was a lie, gaijin models engine heat off the instrument measurements in the cockpit and not actual exhaust temperature

1 Like

F-5C, Gripen?

Gripen is fine but yeah the F-5C/E/A is fucked

So, they chose how hot the engine parts are, instead of the exhaust?

Nice

kinda? they just use the measurements of temperature you see in the cockpit and not the actual temperature of the exhaust gasses

Actually, turns out its not like that, Flare resistance is based upon thrust

Its why the Harriers suck so much when trying to defend against a missile

1 Like

Yes thrust is directly linked to the “temperature” of the exhausts in game

A factual statement. Different missiles have different values for flare resistance this is datamined and confirmed.

One(Singular!!) click is all it takes to disprove that buddy, get a different BS way to shut down arguments you don’t like ;)

And I’ve barely been playing the game recently. Was rather disapointed by the last update and been on sabbatical from the game :D Thats just from the last few days :D

2 Likes