I propose a tech tree version of the Type 74 (G) that distinguishes itself from its premium counterpart by the omission of side skirts.
The Type 74G was developed by the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) as an effort to extend the service life of the Type 74 tank by incorporating modern technology available at that time.
It is noteworthy that many of the electronics used in the Type 74G were the same as those in the advanced Type 90 Main Battle Tank.
Also known as the Type 74 Kai or “74式戦車（改）” production of the Type 74G began in 1992.
A prototype was completed in 1993, followed by four additional upgraded vehicles.
Despite the relatively small production run of only five vehicles, including the prototype, the Type 74G was considered a mass-production model and was officially adopted as the Type 74 (G) or “74式戦車(G).”
However, due to budget cuts resulting from the end of the Cold War, further upgrades of the Type 74 were deemed impractical, with a cost of approximately 100 million yen per tank for modernization.
With the introduction of the Type 90 MBT, the Type 74 (G) became the final variant of the Type 74 MBT and remains the only GSDF tank to undergo such significant major changes.
The main features of the Type 74 (G) are as follows
· The infrared night vision device was replaced with a thermal imaging system.
· Side skirts, similar to those on the Type 90 MBT, were installed on both sides of the vehicle.
· The transmission received improvements, including an increased reverse gear ratio from 1 to 2, enabling faster reverse movement compared to other Type 74 tanks.
· An automatic targeting system was implemented.
· The Type 74 (G) was equipped with a laser warning receiver (LWR), linked to the 60mm smoke dischargers. The LWR is also utilized in the Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun, Type 89 Fighting Vehicle, and Type 90 MBT. This device detects and alerts the presence of laser threats. It is said that the turret will automatically rotate toward the direction of the threat to launch its 60mm smoke grenades, creating a smoke screen.
· The Type 74 (G) was outfitted with a powerful YAG laser rangefinder.
· Lastly, the sprocket wheels were equipped with retaining rings, similar to the early M1 Abrams, to prevent track throwing.
Operated by the Fuji Tank Training Unit
The officially renovated four vehicles are operated by the Fuji Tank Training Unit and are open to the public, participating in events, as well as the Fuji Comprehensive Firepower Exercise. Subsequently, the four renovated vehicles were restored to a state similar to the E type, but the equipment of passive night vision devices and linked laser detection devices continues. They were operated by the 1st Armored Training Unit but were decommissioned when the unit was disbanded. One of them is preserved and displayed at the Komon Garrison.
The Type 74 (G) was previously in service with the 1st Armored Training Unit. It’s important to note that this variant did not include additional side skirts.
The Type 74G stands as the ultimate evolution within the Type 74 family, boasting advanced features such as a thermal gun sight, enhanced transmission, and a laser warning receiver.
Regrettably, accessibility to this advanced variant is limited, as it has been introduced exclusively as a Tier 6 premium option for Japan.
Therfore i’m proposing the introduction of a tech tree counterpart to the premium Type 74 G. The original Type 74 (G) used by the GSDF during its active service did not feature side skirts. My suggestion is to incorporate this historical accuracy into the regular tech tree by removing the side skirts from the premium Type 74 (G). This adjustment would make it accessible for all players to research and unlock at no additional cost.
Thus, the Type 74 Kai premium will maintain its status as the most distinctive variant in the Japanese tech tree, distinguished by the inclusion of side skirts.
- Hull Armor: 80/35/20
- Turret Armor: 132/67/37
- Crew: 4 (Gunner, Loader, Commander and Driver)
- Mass: 38.0 Tons (500kg lighter than premium type 74G due to the removed side skirts. This is the same weight as other regular Type 74s)
- Engine: Mitsubishi 10ZF22WT, Air-cooled 2-stroke V-type 10-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine 870 HP at 2,200 RPM
- Max Forward Speed: 53 KM/H
- Max Reverse Speed: 16.7 KM/H
- Main Armament: JSW L/52 105mm L7A1
Secondary Armament: 1x Type 74 TMG & 1x M2 50. Cal
Type 93 APFSDS
Type 91 HEAT-FS
Type 75 HESH
(Based on the already existing Type 74 (G) in the game)