Type 10 (Mitsubishi Hardkill APS)

Would you like to see this vehicle in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
If you previously voted yes, in what way should the APS be implemented
  • Prototype model
  • Planned Production model
  • I don’t want it
0 voters

Tl;DR: A Type 10 with prototype Hardkill APS.

The planned producted hardkill APS. Note that the motor would be embedded into the turret.

History:

Development of an indigenous Japanese Hardkill APS started in 2013 with the initial control unit being made in 2014. Further development happened in 2015 with the construction of a prototype launcher for live fire testing. According to current sources testing is supposed to last till 2030. Considering that the IR sensors on the promotional material is only present on the Type 10 this follows the rules for partial prototypes and off the shelf equipment.
The system was first shown off to the public in 2019 during a showcase from the Ground Systems Research Center. Considering the plan to continue testing till 2030 and it being once more shown in the 2022 showcase the system most likely is still in active development and will change over time.
The system operates by using a combination of both IR camera’s and active Radar sensors like is shown on the Trophy system, after detecting an inbound muntion the launcher fires a shell made out of multiple EFP (Explosive Formed Penetrator) to form a cloud that detonates the projectile and prevents it from hitting the targetted vehicle. While the Ground Equipment Research Institute is responsible for the eventual development, prototyping and manufacturing has been assigned to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
From the shown tests and other disclosed specifications it should be more then doable to implement this system as an additional 11.7 Japanese Ground forces vehicle even this early into the program it’s lifespan.
Considering the relatively early stages the program is in, if any further information gets released or calculated I will update the suggestion. If anybody has additional public information not yet included please also let me know!

The prototype launcher.

Specifications:

General characteristics:

• Crew: 3 (Driver, Gunner, Commander)
  • Length: 9.4 m
  • Width: 3.1 m
  • Height: 1.4 m
    • Hull Length: 7.4 m
    • Hull Width: 3.1 m
    • Hull Height: 1.6 m
    • Turret Length: 7.8 m
    • Turret Width: 2.1 m
    • Turret Height: 1.4 m
  • Light load weight: 40,000~ kg
  • Normal weight: 44,000~ kg
  • Estimated dozed equipped weight: 45,500~ kg
  • Powerplant: 4-stroke 22.6-litre diesel V8 MHI 8VA34WTK (1200 HP @ 2300RPM)
  • Transmission: Continuously variable transmission
  • Suspension: Active Hydropneumatic suspension
  • Armor: Like the currently implemented Type 10 but with about 30mm of Structural steel on the front hull
Spoiler

https://youtu.be/fFXHV2lM_Ko?si=Db0tn4LzzZXmZbMi&t=314

Video showing a test.

APS:

• IR Coverage: 120° per IR camera
  • Active Radar Coverage: (Estimated) 180° per sensor
  • Interception distance: 10 m
  • Reaction time: 200 ms
  • Ammo count: 1-2 per launcher
  • Projectile speed: 100 m/s
  • Activation speed: Unknown, atleast 115-300 m/s

Performance:

• Maximum speed: 70 km/h
  • Reverse speed: 70 km/h
  • Operational range: 500 km
  • Power/Weight: 26.6 hp/t~

Standard Armament:

• 1x 120mm TKG cannon
  • 1x Type 74 7.62mm machine gun
  • 1x 12.7mm M2HB machine gun

Ammunition:

• JM33 APFSDS
  • JM12A1 HEAT-FS
  • Type 10 APFSDS
  • Blank, training & prototype shells

Other:

• 8x 76mm smoke grenade launchers
  • 1x Autoloader
  • 2x Hard kill Active Protection System Launcher (1-2 barrels)
  • Optional camo netting

Testing footage

Additional pictures

Sources:

19 Likes

+1

9 Likes

+1 We need more Type 10s XD

10 Likes

MORE TYPE 10s FOR JAPAN

15 Likes

WHOO! That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

1 Like

I fully support this. It is the logical follow-up to the regular Type 10. +1

3 Likes

+1 this exactlly what will make grinding the Type 10 more worth it, and it will also help the Type 10 problem of lack of armor!

1 Like

+1 from me. More detailed photos

Spoiler

2 Likes

+1, it’d be a great way to introduce a bit more diversity in choice to top tier for Japan.

5 Likes

I’m not opposed to this suggestion but having one question. Is paper plan criteria got eased in new forum? AFAIK JAPS doesn’t really installed to Type 10 for now.

This one falls under the category of unfinished Prototypes / Vehicles. Type 10 and the APS system exist, plans for both things combined exist and were well documented.

I fully support this, but…let’s first force gaijin into modeling the CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) for the Type 10.

5 Likes

Or at least simulating performance at minimum.

1 Like

CVT would still be miles ahead, shouldn’t be too complicated to model it. As for why it was not yet modeled, I do not know, but I have heard that the “game engine limitations” are at fault.

Agreed but it’s gaijin we are talking about, that’s why I would at least like to see it be simulated. Since I doubt they will go through the trouble of modeling CVT for a nation that is already low in popularity.

1 Like

Fair enough. Now, regarding CVT only being for Japan, if I am correct (and this may be false), but some Chinese MBT or even a few should get it too.

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

3 Likes