T-55am-2b

• Yes!
  • No!
0 voters

In 1978 the T-72 was introduced into the NVA as their new MBT, which, even if it was an export-model of the T-72 Ural, was vastly superior to the until now, best MBT the NVA could muster, the T-55AM. The T-55AM on it’s own was a modernisation of the by now obsolete T-55A, however, that wasn’t enough and the GDR was quick to order a new modernisation-program for the T-55AMs. This was done out of two major reasons, first, upgrading existing tanks is cheaper and easier to acomplish, than to buy and import vast numbers of T-72s. With one T-72 unit costing as much as 4,5 million Mark, while upgrading a T-55AM to T-55AM-2B specifications, costs around 2 million Mark.

The second reason is, that the European theatre is filled with hills and valleys; terrain, which does not favor the restricted cannon-movement of the T-72, which had an elevation of +15° and a depression of -5° with a maximum vertical movement-speed of 3,5°/s, while any variant of the T-55 used by the NVA had an elevation of +17° with the same -5° depression of the T-72, however, the vertical movement-speed of the cannon was 4,5°/s this minor advantage of the T-55, coupled with the cheaper price of the modernisation was reason enough for the GDR to initiate the upgrade program of the T-55AM.

For the sake of having a better overview, I will list all of the upgrades of the T-55AM-2B, compared to a standard T-55A. This way, we can better see in what aspects the T-55AM-2B was improved, rather than comparing it to the already upgraded T-55AM.

The tracks were replaced with rubber-reinforced steel-tracks, which reportedly lasted two times longer than the original pure steel-tracks.

Standardised compartments for crew-belongings.

Reinforced exhaust-system.

Reinforced planetarly steering-system with 17 plates.

Fire-control and laser-warning system KLADIWO.

Thermal sleeve for the 100mm D-10T2S cannon.

IR-floodlight L-4 with a range of max 1200m.

Smoke-launching system TUTSCHA 902B (8 barrels).

Add-on composite armor on frontal hull and turret-cheeks.

Reinforced hull for improved mine protection.

Rubber-mesh side-skirts.

Improved protection from napalm and other incindiary agents.

Improved fire-extinguishing system and more hand-held fire-extinguishers.

Stronger W-55U engine.

R-173 tank-radio.

ATGM-complex “BASTION”.

1 WS TNP-165 gun-sight.

Stabilizer STP-2A.

Laser-rangefinder.

Overall, these are just the major improvements and show, that the T-55AM-2B is basically a new tank, sadly only 35 T-55AM-2Bs were fully upgraded when the NVA fell. It was truly the best T-55 of the NVA and with it’s ATGM firing-capabilities, it was able to rival the T-72 in terms of firepower.

Pictures

Specifications:

Crew: 4

Lenght: 9m

Widht: 3,27m

Height: 2,35m

Engine: W-55U (615HP)

Elevation: +17° / -5°

Armament: 1x 100mm D-10T2S main-cannon (43 RPG), 1x 12,7mm DschK AA-MG (500 RPG), 1x 7,62mm PKT coaxial-MG (2250 RPG)

Ammo:

3BM25 - APFSDS

3BK17M - HEAT-FS

BR-412D - APCBC

9M117 - ATGM

OF-412 - HE

I personally think the T-55AM-2B would be an excellent 8.7 MBT for the German tech-tree, mainly because the east-German T-55AM-2B would be incredibly similar to the T-55AM-1 we have in War Thunder already, be it with Warsaw-pact match-maker, or not.

Thanks for reading!

If you spot a mistake, or want to correct something, just let me know.

Cheers! :salute:

Sources

T-54/T-55 - Wikipedia

Kampfpanzer T-55AM2 und T-55AM2B | Panzerregiment4 der NVA

Das Panzerdetail - Feuerleitanlage des T-55AM2

Bestimmungsbuch

“Kampfpanzer der NVA” by Jörg Siegert and Helmut Hanske

3 Likes

so this is an exclusive east german modernization right? if so it would fit right in with the t-72 already in Germany’s tech tree

4 Likes

I think a seperate DDR tech tree will be good, just like the aircraft tech tree

4 Likes

I think you’re talking about researchable lines rather than a tech tree?
Tech tree implies it would be a completely separate and new nation.

1 Like

Yeah, you are right. I mean like bmp1, t72m1 or other tanks can be moved to a seprate line

3 Likes

imo there also should be a prototype/export line, including vehicles like leopard 2e etc. and a gdr line

+1

+1 from me!

Pictures fixed. o7

1 Like

+1 would work great in my East German line-up

5 Likes

same, in desperate need for a full GDR squad

3 Likes

I would love to see the implementation of an unique Czech or Polish built T-55.
This was an unique Czech variant with the Kladivo FCS which made it better than their soviet-built counterparts, also becoming a huge success in exports. A polish counterpart would be the Merida variant

A visual difference between the soviet built T-55s and Polish/Czech ones were the machine gun ports and gunners sight, casted with an oval opening

Ex-East German T-55AM2 Kladivo in fort benning in 2013 (photo: Matthew Pritchett)
I also have a lot of saved pictures of these Czech and Polish built T-55s

1 Like

The rubber reinforced tracks are called RMSh, which improved greatly performance on all soviet tanks that were equipped by it. Older ones, OMSh, were cheaper, easier to replace but they did not perform as well. They were assigned to armored units from 1970 onwards, so any vehicle from the assigned period should also feature them