Responding to the Severe Damage feedback & release time

In a match earlier tonight, a burst of 12.7mm MG fire shot out my P-47’s engine instantly.

No reduction in power as the engine dies slowly, no fire, just dead instantly.

For the record, in the same match I also put a 76mm APHE shell through a low flying aircraft and he didn’t even notice it…so damage modeling is utterly bogus right now.

“Severe Damage” needs major tweaks or a reversion. Alternatively, Gaijin could compensate vehicles for the durability they should have but lack with BR reductions…that’s a fair means to balance.

1 Like

I am not sure if you had the chance to follow other threads dealing with “Severe damage” and related side effects - but imho the circumstantial evidence (like reducing numbers of crits for tasks) make any hopes for a reversal highly unlikely - imho your chances to get hit by meteor are way higher.

I have no kept close track of this topic or others on this matter–but that tracks with Gaijin’s standard operating procedure.

Once something goes in, changing anything fundamental about it thereafter is like pulling teeth. (This why new proposals need to be well framed from the start.)

Why severe damage counts a kill (even if finished by teammate) but it is not recorded into player’s profile stats (when finished by teammate) ?

Both parties should get kill in service record in my book, who is to say who deserves it

I’ll just quote myself, because there is no sense to write all this again:

1 Like

I dont believe It would break the service record because eveything would be getting more kills. I also dont believe gaijin do follow the K/D of vehicles for everything and there are many examples that you probably know of due to compression also vehicles that are at a position because of there roll and not k/d

The problem is, we don’t live in ideal world. Statistically, that would be the case only if every plane had the same flight performance, the same guns and every plane was played by the same number of players.

But of course it’s not the case. If let’s say 60% of the team use PlaneA, just imagine how would different number of kills from one enemy death affect the K:D of this specific plane when compared to other planes.

That would be a huge problem, and before I tested this new mechanics I actually feared they are going to break stats this way and that would have a very serious consequences. Fortunately, they figured this out and kept 1:1 K:D from each death, which is a good thing on a global scale.

Not long ago the devs replied in one of the Q&A (if I remember correctly) that they decided to raise the BR of many French vehicles only because in the top10 K:D vehicles 7 of them were French.

I’m sure they also take other factors into consideration, but there is no doubt that K:D is a very important part of balancing in the game.

All the above just shows how broken BR v historically accurate actually is and the fact gaijin holds vehicles in BR’s by buffing and nerfing weapons. There is nothing realistic in this game, it is a lie.

have-cake-eat-it-too

2 Likes

How is this not count as “dead” despite the enemy lost both of it’s wings and all the control surfaces? Is it interfered by severe damage mechanic?

Reading a few posts in this topic would take less time for you than recording a video and writing your message.

Just read the discussion above, for example my post here:

or this post:
https://forum.warthunder.com/t/severe-damage-did-nothing-to-fix-kill-stealing/84776/21

or this quote:

2 Likes

Didn’t solve my problem here, I don’t mind the reward being less but the mechanic made some aircraft stay “alive” longer although not being able to fly anymore, just prolonging the process of dead and give others time to “share” the kill.

This is exactly how the severe damage mechanics was designed. It decreased number of kill conditions to just two. All other kill conditions became severe damage.

Just read this topic, it’s all explained in details here.

1 Like

Kill the pilot or tear the tail off, but for many modern aircraft the tail can’t be torn off, so they must be finished by killing the pilot which is annoying cuz I’ve seen so many time tailspinning aircraft can still tank shots shots and fire back with hmd+HOBS missiles only because the pilot is not dead yet.

So the max you can ever get after generating severe damage is 80%, when such damage before would result in a kill at 100%. Well done.

1 Like

Suddenly people are realizing the full extent of this new mechanic. Welcome.

2 Likes

Wdym,you get 80% for severe damage and then 20% for the kill once the plane hits the ground. So still 100%

You are probably replying to the wrong person… but you would already get 100% for what you now get 80%, IF no one else finishes it or IF it ends crashing or IF it’s unable to repair you’ll get the remaining 20%, so “still 100%” with a couple of “IFs”, not the same 100% as before.

1 Like

Yeah - this hole topic gets extremely annoying the longer you play.

Regarding “auto kills” / “declarations of death” at game end (time or tickets) a short reminder:

1. Besides the known downsides - have you ever realized that if you “severely damage” an enemy (which was a often a clean kill in the past) shortly before the match ends by tickets, you receive the message “severe damage…kill counted” that you lost the 20% as you won’t get the SL/RP for it?

2. And ofc the kill is counted for this match and tasks, but not for your overall vehicle statistics.

3. Whilst the “killed by severe damage at game end” enemy pays full repair cost and got a real death to the match and his overall statistics?

4. I mean from a pure logical pov this makes no sense - if gaijin would actually care for the attacker they would fully reward the kill (and not just 80%) and add this kill to his overall statistics, not just for the match.

5. So there are simply two guys losing - the guy able to shoot down the last enemy in order to win the match will lose his aircraft if he got damaged in this process - and the guy who has managed to stay alive (even / despite of he got severely damaged) as last guy to secure a ticket win for his team…

6. Gaijin wins every case - the attacker loses 20% of his rewards and the damaged guy get full repair cost…

Edit: They changed the repair cost for “declared deaths” after tickets run out. I lost today an aircraft due to this - and paid just 25 SL instead of ~ 1.800. I do not adjust my initial statement as this was previously not the case.

5 Likes

I suspect this is a bug as I can’t imagine it was intentionally designed this way.

But at the same time, in my opinion killing a plane with destroyed horizontal stabilizers at the end of the battle is also a bug:

This condition (black horizontal stabilizers) doesn’t affect the plane’s performance, so how can it be counted as serious damage? But well, I’m just a player, and I can only look from the logic point of view. When we talk about the details, we can’t be sure what is and what isn’t a bug, we can only guess. And there is no way to reach the devs, so we can’t even ask them about this.

For me personally missing critical hits also looked like a bug. Because to severely damage a plane you have to cause a critical hit condition on specific parts. So it just makes sense to include that critical hit from breaking parts. Especially it was working like that before, so why changing something like this? Of course you can suspect they wanted to silently reduce the rewards, but taking 33% of the score from every kill is a huge change. From the score perspective, that’s 1 additional kill every 3 kills, so removing these critical hits was a massive score reduction!

But because the devs reduced the number of critical hits required in some tasks, I’m pretty sure now old critical hits won’t return. And for me this is actually the biggest problem with this new system.

This also brings a question, will Ground battles be changed the same way as well? Because right now in Ground battles, killing a tank by destroying specific part (e.g. ammo explosion) gives you a critical hit (like it used to work in Air in the old system). So we have inconsistency right now, the same mechanics works differently in different game modes. I think it’s more likely now the devs are going to remove these critical hits from Ground battles than add them back to Air battles.

The thing is, players always only lose with such changes. You don’t gain anything from it, you only lose (the score and rewards in case of removed critical hits).