Open cockpit canopy exploit needs to be eliminated

The exploit where a pilot can open their canopy while flying even at supersonic speeds is ridiculous and near game breaking. It gives the pilot an unfair advantage in being able to stick their head out of the plane all while there is no ill effects such as in real life. If a pilot flying at such high speeds with canopy is open, they will just not be able to function flying the plane from the sound to the high friction of the wind.

Gaijin should just remove such a feature. what is the point for this game to have canopy’s being manually open if not to give an unfair advantage?

46 Likes

Supported!
I think in props it could be fine, for example in a Hurricane pilots were able to fly with an open cockpit, but it shouldnt be possible in fast jets. However, I think Gaijin coded it in a way that either all planes can open their cockpits or none, so it requires effort to change that in code, without any revenue coming from it, hence the chance for this proposal to get implemented is rather low Id assume …

3 Likes

Agreed, pilot should take damage get reduced visibility etc when going past certain speeds if the cockpit is open.

13 Likes

I feel like if they’re going mach 1 I’d assume they’d you know, die… But yes I agree with all this

11 Likes

War Thunder pilots are actually all bionic super soldiers with stalinium supports in their necks to allow them to stick their head out of a plane at supersonic speeds

10 Likes

Bug report about open canopy in sim EC with 30 signatures in WT issue tracker (Community Bug Reporting System also Community Bug Reporting System).

One thing is p26 and I16 flying open cockpit. Other is p51 or p47 doing it. I don’t think is realistic to fly p51 or p47 open cockpit.

1 Like

I think they could, but only at low altitude. But definitely not dogfighting.

Just to leave this footage in this topic. The canopy opens at 6:20

1 Like

@SpicysaucedHD @DanielWebsterWT
This was already eliminated years ago.
Open canopy in the past caused significant drag when the fix was implemented.
It seems something happened where it causes less of a drag increase.

1 Like

Not only drag. Tremendous audio and vision impairment should be modeled in simulator as well. You would not be able to hear or see anything flying 700Km/h+ with open canopy in any aircraft.

I pull 9 G my pilot passes out. Mach 2 wind in his face nothing happens. He even can hear better!

7 Likes

Can you do this without VR?

You cannot.

Irl the pilot would likely die

Go try to open the cockpit on any of the bf.109 variants.

1 Like

Would this include helicopters?

The iconic IL-2 also does not have such a function (old 3D models and cockpit)

1 Like

Depends on aircraft type/cockpit. Could be okay to fly at 200 kts:

Spoiler

Also can be flyable in emergency sit:

Spoiler

An emergency situation is not a combat flight performance situation.

3 Likes

Should be able to open cockpit when I want to.

But must be dazed and not hear any other sounds except the roar of the wind (depending on the speed, of course).

3 Likes

Then you should also risk having the canopy break off parts of your plane when it comes flying off as well, since you want it to be realistic

1 Like