Next Major Update - Rumor Round-Up & Discussion (Part 2)

I said it in the follow up post here :D

I dont think there are any. 2nd part probably already spoiled in recent leak anyway.

You already named one, biggest amount of AMRAAMs we have on a single plane so far is 8 and even that is a stretch.

Nations that don’t have a F-15 or a potential F/A-18 are limited to 6 or even just 4 ARHs, so balance would be a big reason. The F/A-18 wouldn’t even have to sacrifice all of its IR missiles for that loadout, putting it a 12 missiles total.

Ontop of that, originally the Swiss F/A-18Cs only carried single racks for their AMRAAMs, so they were limited to 6 AMRAAMs total. (Tho based on gaijins trackrecord with early/late plane variants this may end up being irrelevant)
Edit: Scratch that, I’ve got that wrong, Swiss Hornets got special low drag pylons later on, those could only mount a single AMRAAM. Using the stock pylons would allow the use of the dual rails again.

Spoiler

Lastly, (kind of a moot point currently, I do admit that) it is straight up unrealistic, these planes wouldn’t fly out missions with such loadouts. This point will be more relevant in the future when we get to planes that can carry quad mounts.

no

(Looking at leak lists, finding all new additions to Chinese aviation tree being PLAAF units.)

(Talking to myself) Next year. Maybe next year…

Why do you say that they could only carry single AMRAAMs?
I haven’t seen anywhere that the double rack capability was added.
This is about Upgrade 21 for example which happened before 2007:

This already mentions 10 AMRAAM B capability. So it must have been there at this point.

This is about Upgrade 25 which was requested in 2007 and happened after 2013:

Nowhere is it mentioned that AMRAAM capability was added. Only ever AIM-9X

This mentions that Upgrade 25 allowed the use of 10 AMRAAM C-7

• 10x AIM-120B
  • 10x AIM-120C-7 (w/ U25)

I seem to have gotten it the wrong way around, at some point Switzerland developed special low drag pylons for their Hornets, those pylons would only mount a single AMRAAM instead of the dual LAU-127

Yeah, that’s mentioned in this suggestion:

One unique thing is the SAF uses unique low-drag pylon on its F/A-18C/D fleet. This pylon could only handle single AIM-9 or AIM-120, but produces much less drag than normal SUU-63/A pylon. In a typical intercept mission profile, the time to climb to an altitude of 49,000 ft (15 km) at Mach 1.4 from release of the brakes is reduced by 25%. Along with usage of AIM-9P, this is the most unique feature of Swiss Hornet.

But we have multiple real life pictures of Swiss F/A-18s with dual pylons so they definitely have them/use them.
As you say, it is most definitely not a standard or usual loadout but it is an actual loadout that was at least carried for some trainings.

1 Like

I can understand that

Smin and other Staff have answered this sort of thing millions of times in the past…

So… many factors to consider… and I wouldn’t know where to begin… just a few off the top of my head, Gaps to fill, impact on game play balance… uniqueness, and tons of other things…

Best to make suggestions, and there are bound to be existing suggestions on many anyway…

But… yeah need to take it to the wish listing thread anyway…

it is

Usable just doesn’t make it good

I can fully support it that the Tornado F3 in sim is super fun.
Took it today out to grind the last half of the star because i wanted to try the updated HUD aswell and i played for around 1 1/2 houers and ended the game first place and a K/D with 12/4.
Gotta use it for the last 3 stars now only and kick myself that i didnt used it from the beginning.
Also i didnt have a single anger attack this sim match.
In RB it would have been so much worse because of the amount of time i die without scoring a single or very low points and just not coming forward in the event.

I should really get into sim, but it just doesn’t feel right with keyboard and mouse.
Sadly my current desk doesn’t offer enough space for my HOTAS setup…

1 Like

Yep, though only usable in the brackets where its top. I wouldnt bother trying when you face F-16s and Mig-29s (at least I dont)

But yeah. the F3 is lovely in Sim. The best radar in game, one of the best RWRs, high enough top speed to outrun most things and half decent teeth. The only real shame is the BOL which barely work

Its such a tragedy it was rendered unplayable last year for so long for no good reason

iam doing fine with keyboard and mouse but when i got my own place i still want to buy a HOTAS setup.

Yeah, it’s not that keyboard and mouse is bad or anything, it just feels weird to play first person without a flightstick and throttle

The bracket for it RN is 12.0-12.7 so F16 is very Rare, Mig 29 is mayby 1-2 but most of the time its F14, F4s, F20s, some Mirages etc depending what Nation plays aginst each other.
I went into full Nation death match, so everything against eachother and everybody else.

Maybe I need to risk it. Typically I avoid aircraft with few exception unless they are at the top of the bracket. If nothing else, just forces me to play more than a handful of aircraft (about to take the Buc S2B out for games)

1 Like

“Wer nicht wagt, der nicht gewinnt” (If you don’t dare, you don’t win) like we germans sometimes like to say.
So i wish you the best of luck.

Sounds a bit like the SAS moto of “Who dares, wins”

2 Likes

Why though? There’s nothing “special” about the Legacy Hornet. If anything, it should have come a year ago when they first added the F-16

1 Like