New jets and their impact on AIRRB (discussion)

ETs as modeled suck, ERs are better and iirc it can take ERs in the ET mounts but not the other way around

I would assume the Su-27 will receive an artificial balance nerf limiting it to two ET/ER, while the other four “big” missiles have to be T/R only

1 Like

Air RB needs a rework now more than ever. Modern jets are not compatible with the current IR furball 16v16 clusterfuck.

5 Likes

Yes in order to introduce AMRAAMs they need to reduce the number of players and make the maps bigger as well as spread the objectives more so that players dont instantly head to the same direction and create as massive BVR furball. I would suggest adding multiple spawn points like in ground RB and fix their RWR issues aswell as remove the nerfs on AMRAAMs when ppl fly low to the ground so that it encourages people to stop flying low 24/7 and actually engage in BVR combat.

4 Likes

They seriously need to rework Air RB for this, its becoming essential.

I havent played top tier ARB in ages because its awful in its current state, while I am very excited for these new jets, they are going to make that even worse

2 Likes

I suggest voting and commenting here:
https://forum.warthunder.com/t/reduce-the-amount-of-players-in-air-rb-matches-in-top-tier/

1 Like

Gaijin be like: should we get other nations that dont have jets up to the standards of everyone else?

No better just keep sending them into the shadow realm.

3 Likes

The vehicles are awesome BUT the Air RB Game Mode is terrible…

With this update, there’s going to be even more planes with lots of very advanced missiles - 10 on the Su-27…

The game mode is just not ready for this.

Air RB is completely out of date. If Gaijin were creating War Thunder today, we all know they would NOT create the current aviation game modes.

They don’t work for anyone, anymore. Upper tier matches barely last 5 minutes and most of that time is spent taking off and flying towards the match.

God forbid you do get into a scuffle with an enemy at the beginning of the match, you just get 3rd party’d by one of his 15 other teammates. It’s far from fun and has just turned into a bare bones ripoff of Air Arcade. Not to mention some maps have a completely broken ticket count so that if you do last to the end, the match just ends because AI planes ran the enemy out of tickets.

It’s AWEFUL!

Air RB right now is ONLY designed for grinders. It’s nobody’s mode. It doesn’t cater to hardcore PVP players and it doesn’t cater to Objective-based PVE players.

At a minimum, Air RB needs a new game mode or a complete rework.

I’d love to see an Air RB Enduring Confrontation with respawning and longer match times and more strategic objectives. I dont think a copy-paste of Sim EC is the way to go but rather they should take a lesson from how Ground RB works and apply it to Air RB.

Even without my “dream mode” being added,

AT A BARE MINIMUM, we desperately need the following:

• Multiple airfields for larger maps

• Reduced team size for smaller maps - 16 vs 16 for Air
    RB is ridiculous for some of these maps.

• fix the auto ticket bleed. Some maps are just broken
    (ie City…)

• Spread out the AI ground targets to discourage a
    single furball.

• Aircraft carriers for maps with water

• Naval AI targets to attack for maps with water

The current state of upper tier Air RB is insulting and i still can’t believe we’re still working with this mode that feels like a Test Drive or a mode for a game in beta…

4 Likes

They acknowledge the issue many years ago, they weren’t going to add missiles because point and click gameplay was not fun, but obviously money takes the front seat to anything else, the game is a joke with missiles, the game is not designed for it, they do not offer interesting gameplay and the entire game has just devolved into buying a premium to turn your brain off to grind a mode over and over and over and over.

3 Likes

People should really consider giving Sim a try. It’s not just a mindless cluster of red markers firing at each other. Dogfights are much more prevalent, and you can do them without getting 3rd partied everytime. Also, you don’t have to worry about uptiers!

Don’t be afraid to learn a new control system. Many players in Sim are successful with mouse-joy or controller. There are plenty of online tutorials on how to setup mouse-joy and other controls. The cool thing about Sim is the better you get, the more rewarding the game feels.

You get better at spotting targets, recognizing targets, using your radar as a real tool, communicating with your team, and of course advanced ACM. When these skills start coming together for you, it’s an exciting experience.

Sim controls are outright not fun without a joystick etc, and tons of extremely sweaty people with entire setups and years of experience that also make it not fun to be a new player.
All whilst the mode has been ignored and excluded from most things for the last decade and not counting for dailies, events, battlepasses and you can’t play what you want half the time due to rotation.

Many mouse-joy users seem to disagree. There’s many impressive mouse-joy videos out there. And if one wanted, they could slowly build on equipment to make even mouse-joy better. Like getting a headtracker for example. Next step would be getting a joytstick or HOTAS. If one can’t afford a HOTAS, they could use the keyboard as in place of the throttle. Then eventually upgrade to pedals down the road. There’s steps to the process.

Sim users of all types will always have disparities in equipment. You can’t occupy yourself worrying about what controls other people are using if you want to have fun in Sim. I started with a very simple setup. Didn’t even have rudder pedals my first two years. I didn’t let the drive me away. Over the years my setup has improved, but it didn’t start that way.

Sim isn’t perfect, and it needs a lot of love, but IMO it’s tons more rewarding than the RB cluster f*ck meta. The more people that play it, the more potential it has for the devs to focus their efforts on Sim.

And if you ask me, jets have a much less learning curve than prop driven aircraft. They’re much easier to fly, you don’t have to worry about MEC, you don’t have to trim, you have radar to find and identify targets, and you have point and click missiles.

i just want Air RB to feel like it did years ago. I remember having very enjoyable matches when team size was smaller. Air RB has to go back to its roots. There is no skill expression or personal satisfaction anymore, I’m sure Sim has it, but Air RB should too.

I agree. I feel advanced jet combat with player markers in RB will always be a clustered furball though.

The glory days of RB involved prop combat and early jets with much simpler weapon systems.

F-15As are way better than players are giving credit for. Whether this is because the dominance of F-16s made American mains lose all their sense of tactical flying, or people just had too high expectations due to its 104:0 record, I don’t know. But it’s going to be one of the best aircraft and certainly a step up from current 12.3s.
They would benefit from AIM-7P or Python 4 for sure, but the amount of copium I have seen saying that they’re worse than an F-16 or F-14 is crazy. There’s even people claiming it should be 11.7!
Protesting over something so dumb is going to ruin any chance of Gaijin continuing to take the community seriously.

1 Like

Yeah i’m all for disabling player markers in Air RB, it would improve gameplay so much. The only place where I get to experience enjoyable air combat is in Ground RB, where there’s no markers for planes and enough space to engage in BVR and dogfights (and on top of that I get to protect ground players from CAS).

That ship has long since sailed, been torpedoed, ran aground and caught fire…

Might as well uninstall because the whole game is point and click.

This sounds amazing. I need a joystick and a squad. Squad hunt continues.

You don’t have to play top tier.