Mitsubishi F-2

I found a statement in this book that “images are projected onto a heads-up display or multifunction display”

3 Likes

Oh that’s awesome will be really cool for sim battles. Although even in RB I think it would be cool for us to see in night time better in 3rd person.

1 Like

Radars that led to J/APG-1

2 Likes

Added XF-2A suggestion

1 Like

F-2A with some kind of guidance kit for the Mk.82. It doesn’t appear to be a JDAM such as the 38, 54, or other JDAM versions, but the bulk at the top makes it look like some kind of glide bomb similar to a JDAM-ER.

Perhaps a 500lb version of the XGCS-2 as documents mention that the XGCS-2 was a study into future glide bomb technology.

3 Likes

Isn’t it a Mk.82 mounted via a TER rack?
I think XGCS-2 is only 2000lbs.

The bomb is too high to be on a TER rack and there is a white seethe surrounding the bomb which is similar to what is seen on other JDAM kits. As for the XGCS-2 yes its only a 2k lb bomb, but the programs purpose was as a launch point for future glide bomb projects so i wouod imagine this is an evolution of the program. A guidance kit rather than a specialized bomb like the XGCS-2.

aszerj
I know it’s hard to understand, but I think it looks something like this.

1 Like

Nice find but its not an F-2A nor a production line airframe; its the F-2B ADTW ‘63-8102’

XF-2B full modern loadout

1 Like

XF-2B, this one has two seats and lacks ECM :P

Nice pic though

1 Like

Unknown radar on a XF-2A that was an improved version of J/APG-2 and was also equipped on the X-2/planned gen 5 fighter studies.

Spoiler

d2134f3d-1

1 Like

That ASM-2 with IRST is also interesting i think one was tested right?

https://twitter.com/naoki_o_0557/status/1057423733583802368
White ASM-2 modified and carrying IRST.

1 Like

Credit to @tanuki10 for the throttle pics below which confirms the G limit override

Spoiler

image-1

According to this book it can override up to 12Gs

Spoiler

!

Spoiler

[

There is also another button for the “DY mode” which is part of its unique Fly by wire system

Spoiler

image-3
3pNtVKq.png.0bbde7782b76bd88154da19474184d31 (1)

7 Likes

I really hope Gaijin doesn’t make us wait for the production F-2A as our first F-2.

Looking back on the old forums where Smin said the XF-2 “has not a lot of solid information”. Which is almost laughable considering they added the AJ and there was a lot of info on the old forums and here. Also, the AJ devblog only mentioning the F-2A makes me worry a bit.

I hope my worry is misplaced…

In either situation we’re waiting for ~13.0.
AESA radar strong, and it’s in the XF-2 as well.
Hopefully the ARH maturity gives us a better indication on where next gen technologies will show up in BRs.

The XF-2, to my knowledge, was initially planning to use the AN/APG-68 until the J/APG-1 was built. However, its iffy at best if the APG-68 was ever installed or just considered.

I don’t really see that as a huge issue though as Gaijin very frequently Frankensteins vehicles together and it seems the AESA is the biggest thing holding this back. I think I and many others would be fine with an XF-2 without the AESA if it meant getting it in game quicker. It could also easily be limited to 9Ls and 7Ms, making it essentially it a slower, more agile F-16C with 2 more missiles.

Obviously the APG-68 is better than what we have in game now, but it would still help get the XF-2 in game faster. Assuming Gaijin is even considering it which is also a bit questionable.

The J/APG-1 was tested on the C-1FTB in 1991, and I believe it was installed at the time of the XF-2 rollout in 1995.

2 Likes