Mitsubishi F-2

The JASDF arrives in Australia for Exercise Pitch Black 2024 with F-2s

4 Likes

1 Like

as a japan main i would by i dont have discord idk maybe next year when im in high school

For what it’s worth I got confirmation from a dev that this is the case: Modern ARH (FOX 3) Missile - History, Performance & Discussion - #569 by k_stepanovich

In the game for fighters with multi-target attack capabilities (right now these are fighters with ARH missiles with datalink) missiles no more receive target position via datalink after target track lose, even if the target track is re-established. So there is no way to switch from “IOG+DL” to “IOG” and than back to “IOG+DL”.

So something to note when “AESA making radar missiles too strong” gets brought up.

5 Likes

If you keep datalink active until the missile hits, never breaking lock, this mentioned limitation shouldn’t apply. So once AAM-4s get their combined datalink/missile track guidance AESA would give them a pretty notable advantage.

That being said this feature is not in game yet regardless and even for AAM-4 datalink automatically turns off once the missile starts tracking, so currently aircraft AESA only matters until the missile seeker activates, which wouldn’t have too much of an impact yet.

4 Likes

Not the case if the missile tracks something like chaff. As soon as the missile switches to TRK on a target it thinks it sees, DL is permanently turned off. The aircraft might keep sending DL signal but the missile overrides and ignores it.

I’m not sure if the AAM-4 specifically has something different but I wouldn’t expect it to be modeled unless all ARH missiles utilize it.

Which is pretty much less than 16 km, generally speaking. Even if target doesn’t chaff, once it gets close enough it’ll find the target and lock and lose DL.

Only the AAM-4B would change this dynamic but I think it’s safe to say we won’t see that for a looooong time.

2 Likes

It doesn’t in game, but since it’s a defining characteristic of the way AAM-4 works I’d hope it would be added at some point. I hope this is not bound to “if all missiles get it” unless those that do really have such a feature, otherwise that would be like giving all tanks stabilizers or all jets afterburners, it simply wouldn’t make sense.

For now, yes. But I hope once we get more advanced ARH missiles they look back at AAM-4 and rework some aspects that need fixing, namely the guidance and acceleration/speed.

Then again I hope we get F-2 first, as I don’t think Gaijin would allow it in game if the radar can give complete DL guidance to AAM-4. (Though early F-2 with J/APG-1 radar wouldn’t have J/ARG-1 either, which would mean no datalink for AAM-4 at all)

2 Likes

It’s more likely something that will come way after the fact as a QoL feature.

Yea I’d rather have the F-2 first and upgrade it later when other nations get something similar. We’re already overdue for it since it’s just a better F-16 and we already have that flight model in thanks to Gripen and soon also J-10A.

The radar is the biggest thing Gaijin has cited for not adding it yet and yet with ARH it won’t currently be any better so really F-2 could be added any update.

5 Likes

Although the Fictional-16AJ suffices in terms of cas, Japan is the worst nation cas-wise, it has a whopping ZERO guided bombs of ANY kind

It really should have GBU-8s. I don’t know how they forgot them, they were advertised in the brochure and are found on other F-16As in game anyways.