Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 (零戦六二型)
Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 Zero is the last mass-produced zero fighter that took part in World War 2. From May 1945 until the end of the war, 158 A6M7 fighters were produced. Two A6M7 aircraft have survived to our times, one is in the Yamato Museum and the other is in the San Diego Air & Space Museum.
History
In June 1944, the Battle of the Philippine Sea took place, during which the Japanese tried to use A6M2 fighter-bomber aircraft, which were massacred by American carrier-based fighters due to their low speed. Additionally, the Japanese Navy lost its last major aircraft carriers in this battle. Japan’s Imperial Navy Command noted that there is a need for a new fighter-bomber that will be able to operate from small aircraft carriers. The new aircraft was to be a replacement for the D3A1 bombers and the A6M2 fighter-bombers. After receiving the requirements from the Naval Command, Mitsubishi decided to build a new aircraft based on the A6M5 fighter. The new aircraft was to be designated A6M7 and receive some special modifications. The prototype of the A6M7 aircraft was ready at the beginning of 1945 and then it passed the tests. Production began in May 1945 and the aircraft immediately began to be delivered to combat units. One of the first units was the 302nd Kokutai, which was the unit defending Tokyo. A6M7 aircraft served as fighters, bombers and kamikazes. By the end of the war, at least 168 aircraft had been built. After the war, some of the planes were tested by the Americans, and two A6M7 planes have survived to our times.

Photos of the Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 aircraft

R (3)

a6m5-13
A6M7-36
a6m5-7

Art about the Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62

R (4)

hsg08249_7
R (2)

Photos of the Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 at the Yamato Museum

Photos of the Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 at the San Diego Air & Space Museum

Construction description
The A6M7 model 62 aircraft is based on the A6M5c fighter, but there are a few differences that I will describe here.

1. The fuselage and wings were reinforced to be able to withstand a dive flight with a 250/500 kg bomb
  2. The plane got fixed mounts for rockets/small bombs on the wings
  3. A bomb rack for 250 or 500 kg bombs was mounted under the fuselage
  4. Under the wings, the possibility of mounting two dump tanks with a capacity of 350 L has been added
Technical sketches

Cockpit photo

Armament
The Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 aircraft is armed in the same way as the A6M5c, only that it can carry a bomb weighing 250 kg or 500 kg under the fuselage. The small arms consist of two Type 99 number 2 type 4 20 mm cannons in the wings with a reserve of 125 rounds per gun. The aircraft is also equipped with three Type 3 13.2 mm machine guns , two of them are mounted in the wings and one in the nose, the supply of bullets is 250 per machine gun. The aircraft can carry 10 bombs weighing 30 kg, 2 bombs weighing 60 kg, 10 Type 3 No.1 Mod.28 Mk.1 rockets or 2 Type 3 No.6 Mod.27 Mk.1 rockets under the wings.

Weapons Photos

Method of mounting bombs under the fuselage^

30 kg bombs (A6M5c in the photo)^
7488dd22a7fe0550842b2c45de0aff8c
Armament in the wings^
Zrzut ekranu 2024-09-14 133350
Bomb mount on the wings^

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 9,12 m
  • Wingspan: 11 m
  • Height: 3,57 m
  • Wing area: 21,38 m2
  • Empty weight: 2,055kg
  • Gross weight: 3,040kg
  • Maximum Take-off Weight: 3755 kg
  • Powerplant: 1 × Nakajima NK1F Sakae 21, fourteen-cylinder, air-cooled, two-row radial engine with 831 kW (1,115 hp)
  • Propellers: Three-bladed metal fixed speed propeller with a diameter of 3,050 mm

Performance

• Maximum speed: 563km/h
  • Range: 1,520 km
  • Maximum Range: 2,190 km
  • Service ceiling: 10,180 m
  • Time to Climb to: 7 min 58 sec to 6,000 m

Armament

1. Guns:
  • 2 x Type 99 number 2 type 4 20 mm cannons in wings (120 rounds per gun)
  • 3 x Type 3 13.2 mm machine guns in the wings and in the nose(250 rounds per machine gun)
  1. Bombs:
  • 10 x 30 kg bombs - No. 3 Type 2 Conventional Bomb (under the wings)
  • 2 x 60 kg bombs - Navy Type 97 Number 6 bombs (under the wings)
  • 1 x 250 kg bombs - Navy Type Number 25 Model 2 (under the hull)
  • 1 x 500 kg bomb - Navy Type Number 50 Model 2 (under the hull)
  1. Rockets
  • 10 x Type 3 No.1 Mod.28 Mk.1 rockets
  • 2 x Type 3 No.6 Mod.27 Mk.1 rockets
  1. Fuel dump tanks:
  • 2 x 350 L dump tanks under wings

Summary
The Mitsubishi A6M7 model 62 aircraft would be a very interesting aircraft for Japan in War Thunder. With better bomber armament, it will provide the needed CAS support for Japan.

This fighter would be an interesting development for the A6M5c fighter. I encourage you to discuss in the comments and to share your own knowledge on this subject.
Finally, I apologize for the linguistic and logical errors because unfortunately English is not my main language and I had to use google translator.

Internet sources

零式艦上戦闘機の派生型 - Wikipedia
零式艦上戦闘機(各タイプ別解説) (jyai.net)
零戦62型/六二型: 空のカケラ ライブラリ (lekumo.biz)
大和ミュージアムの零戦62型を観察 - 我、再び駆ける。 (goo.ne.jp)
零式艦上戦闘機六二型・六三型/三菱Mitsubishi A6M7(Zero) | 大日本帝国軍 主要兵器 (japanese-warship.com)
Mitsubishi A6M Zero - Wikipedia
Mitsubishi A6M Reisen (Zero Fighter) (combinedfleet.com)
Уголок неба ¦ Mitsubishi A6M5(8) Reisen (airwar.ru)
Mitsubishi Type 0 A6M (Zero, Zeke, Hamp) - Technical Information (pacificwrecks.com)

Book sources

And finally, good luck pilots, the emperor is counting on you.

8 Likes

Zero is maybe my favorite plane <3 - can’t have enough of e’m!

1 Like

Zero model 62 and 63 should count as strike aircraft, just like A-36, AU-1 and Fw 190 F-8. That would mean higher spawn in air RB, which would be essential for these slow climbing Zeros.

2 Likes

this and the a6m8 should be added before the a7m1

Personally would be hoping more for the A6M8 as that was meant to be a straight up better fighter Zero without sacrificing the Zero’s iconic turn rate, but this should be added too aswell first.

Yes, 100%. This gets my absolute +1! More A6Ms are always appreciated, and the A6M7 would honestly be such a neat addition.

So different engine?

Would be lovely to see in-game. I actually was lucky enough to see the one in Japan in person a few years ago, though from what I recall reading there that they mentioned that the Zeros of this variant they had assigned to the area near Kure were apparent a unique modification that the squadron their used alone though I am also going off memory so I could be wrong.