Missile stuff

Why what

Choice A is actually: Balancing the game properly (gaijin won’t do it) or

Choice B: going with the current trend which is what you described previously.

Attackers should NEVER have better missiles than fighters in my opinion. It is exactly what started BR compression in jets.

It will be a radically different situation than what is going on at 10.0.

We are talking about a Tornado with 2x IR missiles vs Gen 4.5 ARH slingers with the ability to actually defend and fight back. These missiles have to come at some point and lower performance CAS aircraft are ideal place to start. Rather than 6x ASRAAM on the Typhoon F2 with HMD, radar, etc. Lets start with 2x ASRAAM on the Tornado Gr4 with no radar or HMD.

It is not a good idea. I will not support it in anyway.

Then thats fine. As it is. I think many CAS aircraft need stronger AAMs. Absolutely no reason why current Tornado IDS dont have Aim-9Li or Aim-9M. they need it with how hopelessly outclassed they are

I think to make a R-73 counter gaijin should add an ahistorical AIM-9R. As it was going to be a 9M development but canceled, make they can just make a 9M with more G pull

The 9X uses a reduced smoke motor, but not a smokeless like the 9M iirc
So while its harder to distingish from afar, the 9X still produce smoke even in the lower layers of the athmosphere.

If you shoot your missile high up, even if its motor doesn’t produce smoke, condensation is going to make your missile visible with a big trail.

(The hot air coming out of the motor mixing with the cold air you find at altitude will produce condensation of the humidity present in the air)

As @Morvran said, which missile is “better” really depends on the situation.
If you’re looking for the most maneuvrable one and probably the best one to intercept incoming missile (even if probably not reliable at all) then the IRIS-T is probably the best. The main issue is going to be the range which is only a notch better than the 9L.
If you’re looking at the best range possible to be able to kill target before they shoot at you then the MICA IR and the ASRAAM are the best. (MICA has better range and maneuvrability but is heavier)
If you want a jack of all trade (medium range/ good maneuvrability) then the 9X is pretty good (and relativly cheap compared to the others).
The Python 5 is also a good Jack of all trade but a bit heavier.

Other last gen IR missile are those (quick summary):
R-74M2 (Russia): A bit in its own category (similar range of the ASRAAM, similar turning of the 9X) but the missile doesn’t have an FPA seeker so its a lot more suseptible to fall into flares.
AAM-5 (Japan): similar looking to the Iris-T but similar in performance to the 9X.
A-DARTER (SA+ Brazil) : shooter range but even more maneuvrable than the IRIS-T (not in production)
BOZDOGAN (Turkey) : A very heavy 9X (not a lot of reliable info on it)
PL-10 (China): Similar to the IRIS-T with a bit worse maneuvrabilty (few info on it)

If you want more info i made a thread covering most of the info you can find online about IR missile.

1 Like

Really depends on the situation.

IR missile wise? Maybe the latest Aim-9X or Python 5, do take this with a grain of salt though.

1 Like

It depends on the situation, I would simply say that the MICA IR is probably not far from first place, the missile runs 50G with TVC + guidance via data-link, theoretically the missile at 80km distance can be fired via the position given by the data-link then locks its target with the thermal sensor

1 Like

Can’t the python 5 still track when the target is behind it?

yes, it has 360° view

I’m going to start grinding isreal and USA rn

Can you look at my object 477 post?

Trust me you’ll suffer grinding Israel

Ik but I want to get the merkava or however you spell it

Iirc its an R-73 derivative for the Su-57. So idk if it actually is in its own category that much in that its the same category of the R-73. A short range self defense missile.

No it doesn’t have a “360°” view.
The missile doesn’t have a 360° seeker.
The most it has is a ±100° gimbal which means a 200° view (witch is already the best worldwide).

The Python 5 has 360° ENGAGEMENT capabilities. Which means you can shoot at a target behind you (ie at more thean 90° to the side).

How can it achieve that:

• Datalink and inertial navigation.

Indeed the missile get information from another figther radar or from the radar rwr for exemple that there is an ennemy behind you. The missile is capable of LOAL (Lock On After Launch) which means the missile can be launched even if the sensor isn’t seing anything yet.
Loal is necessary if you want to have a real 360° capability.

Some missile can do a 180° degree turn and indeed be “360” but they have to lock on the ennemy in front of the sensor and the high turning of the missile can make it do a 180°.
You probably already saw videos of the R-73 shooting at an ennemy coming at you just for it do to a 180° turn.

Anyways, the “360” engagment capability is not something unique to the Python 5 since all “5th” gen missile have this capability. Some of those missile are: MICA IR, ASRAAM, AIM-9X Blk2/ IRIS-T/ AAM-5/R-74M2 (which lack a FPA seeker to be truly called 5th gen but it has LOAL).

2 Likes

Ty

IRIS-T or R-74M2

Off topic, but can anyone here grab location off of these photos, I kinda wanna get this tank while russia is distracted
IMG_2833
IMG_2832

It was made for the Su-57 but its the best russian missile available.
It’s indeed a derivative of the R-73 but it evolved quite a bit since the “basic” R-73 we have in game rn.

• More range (65% upgrade)
  • Better seeker (dual color and a lot more modern)
  • Better maneuvrabilty (60g )

At 50km it has longuer range than the Python 5, the IRIS-T, the AIM-9X Blck 2, the AAM-5 ect. It match the ASRAAM.

1 Like