Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

I’m french, and mainly playing french airplanes, i also work in the aeronautic and i can just say a BIG THANKS to the whole persons who have made things changed in the good way for french aircraft. Lot of data are still classified but several aren’t anymore. Good to see that the Matra 530D path/speed/TimeToHit have been corrected.
more than the available data, available pictures are also there to push the correct missile configuration available for that aircraft. So sad to see gaijin not taking into account just with pictures. (approved ones)
Can’t wait to see MICA RF in the game and the RDY radar correctly designed :)

5 Likes

No it doesn’t. It only has the reduced fov.

The AIM-9M has “bandMaskToReject” line. Magic 2 does not.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/869212849757634560/1151171284361818193/image.png

Magic 2 just has “gateWidth” which reduces fov to 0.75 (same as R-73). This is incorrect, as my report showed it should be superior to the R-73.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/869212849757634560/1151172022878093485/image.png

2 Likes

Dang it ! It should also be able to lock a target through the sun, so it definitely should have some bandMaskToReject as well. Welp, we’ll see… Thanks for the clarification, I am not confortable enough to look through the GitHub myself

Now give us that 50g, 2 plane max pull and we’re cookin’

:p

6 Likes

Well your on for a new ride lol but do you think it is still possible they will add bandtoreject to R73 and Magic 2 before the update?

Do you know if it should have bandMaskToReject as well or?

Yes, it is still underperforming.

Not necessarily the same way as the AIM-9M. Instead, the IR sources in the seeker should just be able to narrow down the targets actual IR signature a bit more as to reduce chance of catching onto the wrong IR source (countermeasure). I’m not certain I understand that 100%, but that’s what I’m understanding. Instead of suspending guidance, should just be immune to the sun and not be blinded by the flare as badly. If this can’t be modeled, a reduction in fov and removing the angles at which it locks the sun should do essentially the same thing.

3 Likes

Got it, maybe they will fix it later not really sure. We have any info on that?

I’ll put it up on my report that it was partially actioned.
(In my original report I included sources showing the magic 2 can lock targets silhouetted by the sun).

Well, after a few testing, I’ve found that

• Magic 2’s IRCCM is pretty underwhelming. While the r73 can take advantage of the IRCCM at very close range, the magic 2s is very limited, to the point it does not feel better than without IRCCM
  • R530s have much better range, but they appear to be far less reliable when targeting targets moving slightly sideways
  • HMD and new launch angles on both the magic 2 and r530S are great tho
  • Against aim9L in a 16v16 battle, we will never have enough flares in the current situation

remember that there is some issues on locking IR target in the dev server rn

2 Likes

Ok thank you,

war thunder at the moment doesnt multicolor IR, instead they model only trigger based IRCCM (if flare detected suspend tracking which is bandmaskreject) and spatial seperation IRCCM (Changing FOV to an IFOV much smaller like crossed array seekers have) or a combination of the 2 like psuedo imaging seekers have

I suppose they could represent multicolor seekers by reducing rangeband2 value slightly to give the seeker priority to rangeband0

2 Likes

I’ll pretend I understood that, but thanks for the explanation

to sum up , the seeker should be able to see heat from the engine , different as the heat from the flare or sun duo to having different elements in the seeker and being able to tell the difference much much better

1 Like

Perhaps that kind of IRCCM is too advanced for the game currently. Regardless, it is a predicament I am willing to accept a compromise on. But that isn’t up to me, it is up to Gaijin. I’ll continue to report the magic 2 until they admit a balancing decision is being made or they fix it to historical levels of performance.

4 Likes

Well they been adding different bands for radar, I don’t see why they could not differentiate heat sources

Currently it seems to me if they reduce the flare detection band from the engine heat source band it will result in 100% of the time going for target and never even seeing countermeasures. Not sure if I understand that correctly either though.

I second what vizender said:

• Magic 2’s IRCCM feels completely non existant. I really hope it’s still work in progress and won’t be released as it is. However, the improved gimbal, lock angle and drag is definitively noticeable and help a lot.

The 4x Magic 2 loadout is locked behind a tier IV modification.

1 Like

Depends, as from my understanding different flares have different bands. I guess it also depends on how hot the engine is ?

If you launch it at <1km it’s almost impossible to flare unless you were pre-flaring in my testing.