Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

Got it, maybe they will fix it later not really sure. We have any info on that?

I’ll put it up on my report that it was partially actioned.
(In my original report I included sources showing the magic 2 can lock targets silhouetted by the sun).

Well, after a few testing, I’ve found that

• Magic 2’s IRCCM is pretty underwhelming. While the r73 can take advantage of the IRCCM at very close range, the magic 2s is very limited, to the point it does not feel better than without IRCCM
  • R530s have much better range, but they appear to be far less reliable when targeting targets moving slightly sideways
  • HMD and new launch angles on both the magic 2 and r530S are great tho
  • Against aim9L in a 16v16 battle, we will never have enough flares in the current situation

remember that there is some issues on locking IR target in the dev server rn

2 Likes

Ok thank you,

war thunder at the moment doesnt multicolor IR, instead they model only trigger based IRCCM (if flare detected suspend tracking which is bandmaskreject) and spatial seperation IRCCM (Changing FOV to an IFOV much smaller like crossed array seekers have) or a combination of the 2 like psuedo imaging seekers have

I suppose they could represent multicolor seekers by reducing rangeband2 value slightly to give the seeker priority to rangeband0

2 Likes

I’ll pretend I understood that, but thanks for the explanation

to sum up , the seeker should be able to see heat from the engine , different as the heat from the flare or sun duo to having different elements in the seeker and being able to tell the difference much much better

1 Like

Perhaps that kind of IRCCM is too advanced for the game currently. Regardless, it is a predicament I am willing to accept a compromise on. But that isn’t up to me, it is up to Gaijin. I’ll continue to report the magic 2 until they admit a balancing decision is being made or they fix it to historical levels of performance.

4 Likes

Well they been adding different bands for radar, I don’t see why they could not differentiate heat sources

Currently it seems to me if they reduce the flare detection band from the engine heat source band it will result in 100% of the time going for target and never even seeing countermeasures. Not sure if I understand that correctly either though.

I second what vizender said:

• Magic 2’s IRCCM feels completely non existant. I really hope it’s still work in progress and won’t be released as it is. However, the improved gimbal, lock angle and drag is definitively noticeable and help a lot.

The 4x Magic 2 loadout is locked behind a tier IV modification.

1 Like

Depends, as from my understanding different flares have different bands. I guess it also depends on how hot the engine is ?

If you launch it at <1km it’s almost impossible to flare unless you were pre-flaring in my testing.

Well it was pretty much unflarable at those distances before the IRCCM implementation. It looks like they added some IRCCM to say that they did. ow, the thing is that FOV based IRCCM is great a short ranges, but Magic 2 can’t take advantage as much as the r73, because of the minimal engagement distance, so its pretty underwhelming compared to the AIM9M which is great at medium-long range and the r73 which is great at short-medium range, while Magic is only good at medium range

The magic 2 is significantly better against hotter targets now than it was previously. Side-aspect launches on the F-14 or MiG-29 will yield really good results within 2-3km.

Well, I have not had this luck. For me, as long as the engine is 30 degrees from my, its easily flared

Contrary to what has been said here, the Magic 2 seeker doesn’t see any different colors. Rather, the cross array allows it to filter flares by FOV and by position, as described here.
(I hope the pic uploads correctly)

2 Likes

The multiple elements and advanced signal processing is what allows it to track targets silhouetted by the sun as well as seeing hot targets in spite of the presence of countermeasures. The crossed array is an additional feature.

5 Likes

I can confirm me and my buddy shot many Magic 2 in rear sector (past the middle of the plane with a slight angle on the rear and no 2 engine target nor high temperatyure target flared the missile at less than 3km. BUT at the moment you launch the missile within an angle of the frontal zone, even the slightest, magic 2 go weeee on CM most of time just a question of knowing how to fire it properly and in which config it works best

1 Like

Also Matawg already made a vid about the IRCCM and rear shots are now almost guaranteed kills

1 Like