MiG-29 with R73 and R27R instead of the R27ER

note: by the use of “MiG-29” I specifically mean the 9-12 and 9-13 models unless I specify otherwise

It’s not a secret that the MiG-29 (9-12) did not carry the R-27ER and that the R-60M’s were placeholders until the R-73s arrived. In reality, the R-60Ms were primarily used for training purposes rather than in actual combat scenarios, also the only real reason the HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight) was added was to complement the R-73’s incredible off-bore performance, which needed an advanced system (HMS) to fully exploit its capabilities.

Given this, the absence of the R-73 from the MiG-29 loadout seems like a significant oversight. The R-73 was a game-changer in aerial combat with its unmatched maneuverability and high off-bore sight capability, making it a formidable weapon when paired with the MiG-29’s HMS. Historically, the MiG-29 was among the first aircraft to integrate the R-73 into its arsenal, and its exclusion from the game diminishes the authenticity and effectiveness of the MiG-29 in its intended role, as it currently has a inadequately weaker flight model than other aircraft.

The reintroduction of the R-73 and removal of the R-27ER (Instead being replaced by the R-27R) from the MiG-29 would not only restore historical accuracy but also balance it as it won’t be the BVR monster that it is at the current BR with the multipath changes, making it weaker at longer ranges but increasing the effectiveness at shorter ranges and dogfights in particular, also the aircraft closest to its kit and performance (MiG-29G) is only a BR step higher from the MiG-29, which is largely due to the fact that it carries the R-27ER and the R-73 which the MiG-29 won’t, only the R-73s and R-27Rs.

I urge the developers to consider adding the R-73 back to the MiG-29 in the Russian and other tech trees where it is available. This change would greatly enhance the gameplay experience by aligning the aircraft’s capabilities with its historical and practical role in air combat.

X5NKBXU

33 Likes

Nice post!

1 Like

Fair enough, we need this change.

8 Likes

Yes!

Historical and balanced?

Never gonna happen

3 Likes

Yes, for 13.0 and the G should also be downgraded to this standard. I actually just made a topic discussing this change and similar ones for other families below if anyone is interested.

1 Like

29G and 29SMT already have R-73s, just use those.
9.12. and 9.13 are the “worst” 29s to be used, they deserve to use the R-60Ms only.
Just as if we got a Block 1 or Block 5 F-16, that should use only 9Js.

So yeah, just go play the 29s with R-73s if you want R-73s on a 29.

Besides, all aircraft are historically accurate.

Yes, this should have happened ages ago.

They historically use R-73. And define worst, flight model on 9.13 is much better than that on 9.19.

Are u serious or just trolling for fun?

No they are not

7 Likes

@strzelec213
They historically use R-60Ms, which is what they have.
Prove they’re incapable of using R-60Ms since you’re claiming they are incapable here:

Oh wait, you can’t, cause the world has already seen photos of Mig-29s with R-60Ms.

They historically use R-73s for any active duties and R-60Ms for training and exercises. Prove they can’t use R-73s (you can’t)
Let’s remove AIM-9L/M from the F-16s and only use AIM-9J then, and also remove AIM-7s and AIM-120s.
Let’s remove all but AIM-9B and R-3S from all nations, might as well, because nearly all aircraft with missiles can carry those and AIM-9Bs were regularly used for training into the 90s!

10 Likes

Lol you didn’t even read to which part i am quoting

Where did i say MiG-29 9.12 and 9.13 didn’t use R-60M?

Show me photo of MiG-29 9.12 with R-27ER, oh wait you can’t, cause they can’t use those but in game mig-29s have them. And you still think all aircraft are historically accurate.

3 Likes

He’s mostly a troll. I don’t know if he just likes the attention, or is addicted to the notifications of replies or just enjoys causing conflict or can’t help himself. It’s best to leave one reply, then ignore him when he doubles down.

2 Likes

@WalletWorrier
They don’t have R-73s in-game currently, I don’t have to prove they can’t use R-73s especially since your post is the only one to have posted that which means you have the burden of proof to prove they can’t if you so desire.
I bet you’d want AIM-9X on AV-8C/Harrier GR3 for BR 14.7 and like it.

And yes, there should be an AIM-9J only F-16 in-game already.
Just like Mig-29 9.13, F-16 has equivalents: Block 1 and 5 which aren’t in-game yet.

And of course you’re implying the WT playerbase are all trolls.
Keep claiming all of WT’s critics are trolls; keep defending Gaijin from criticism; all you do is prove everyone correct.

So now we should just ignore him, right?

3 Likes

@strzelec213
If you ignore the War Thunder playerbase, all you’ll be able to do is talk to yourself.
It’s sad to see people see everyone they see as trolls… what a stressful life to live.

Historical minimum loadouts that compliment the airframe > airframes carried by missiles like Sea Harrier FA2

1 Like

Pretty much. I hate doing so cause it doesn’t allow productive discussion, but neither does he so unfortunately it’s better to not waste energy and time

1 Like

But we can’t have any productive discussion with him. Like it’s pointless to even try when you see his copium.

1 Like

IMO Hungarian MiG-29 can get R27ET and R73 for makes identical for G model.

1 Like