MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details

Just your monthly reminder the devs dropped this pile on us and not once did they ever attempt to defend their position or reconsider it in 6 months… so sad…

25 Likes

This blog lives rent free in my mind alongside the Roman Empire

2 Likes

Cause that wasn’t the point of this thread.

Enjoy.

35 Likes

“A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is just a load of pictures”

Very well said

16 Likes

Ah don’t worry, they put the TAN SAM, Japan’s only reliable anti-air, at 11.3 so that it can support the Pantsir.

It will do a lot of good there, I’m sure.

Oh and uh

26 Likes

Trade you the Stormer HVM

2 Likes

How convenient… Lmafo, imagine spaa being able to do their job

2 Likes

How can anyone see excrement like this and think “ummm yeah working as intended”

Technical moderators, balancing team? Hello?

Oh wait, maybe this is exactly intended. People who don’t play USSR are 2nd class citizens who don’t deserve even a crumb of SPAA no matter how much they beg for it.

11 Likes

I did, but I did not.

7 Likes

Took a few months break from the game. Glad to see instead of fixing the nato manpads they buffed the soviet one even more.

18 Likes

Just because Russian MANPADS are garbage, doesn’t mean everyone else’s has to be as well. You know, instead of nerfing everyone else equipment, it would’ve made more sense to just buff the Russian equipment.

smh

13 Likes

lamo

Do those Igla’s come out from the tubes at 30 degree angle or are the tubes more slanted than they look?

They come out straight but perform a kick(English Bias) maneuver upon leaving the tube before the main motor fires.

Their steering isn’t disabled for 2.5 years after launch unlike the stingers.

8 Likes

They claim that before the rocket motor fires, there is a gas generator (likely to spin up gyroscopes internally) that is used to push the missile and give it better lead and super elevation.

Essentially, it’s like uncaging the seeker on a Stinger or Mistral and pre-leading it, but done automatically by the missile after launch, instead of before. As far as I know, this gas generator thrust is somewhat limited in helping lead the missile compared to manually pointing the launcher ahead of the intended target like when using a Stinger.

Seems weird to have the Igla automatically get ideal lead after launch in game while any other MANPADS in game currently lack lead indications and are launched essentially by guesswork.

10 Likes

You don’t say … 🤔

I get it’s just pointing out the obvious, but that lead indicator thing is weird.

Why have it removed specifically for MANPADS, when they can still benefit from lead just like manually guided SAM or cannon SPAA do. I doubt it’s a historical thing, since both Type 93 and Type 81 (C) do provide lead indication in reality and I doubt they are the only ones.