Komatsu LAV - Type 01 LMAT On-Board Firing - ''Death From Above''

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Komatsu LAV - Type 01 LMAT On-Board Firing - ‘‘Death From Above’’

Hi and welcome to my 20th suggestion, which is about the Komatsu LAV with Type 01 LMAT missiles and one of a few modern japanese Vehicles I want to suggest, hope you like it.
Side note: This was originally suggested by @_N4MELESS and I have permission to re-suggest this from said Person (thx btw).

First of all:

• This is a suggestion for a Vehicle we could see in game at some point in the Future , that doesn´t mean next Patch or somewhere in the near Future
  • I don´t want to force Gaijin to rush Top-tier air in any way
  • Feel free to share more Information and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here

Basic Background

The “small armored vehicle,” developed by Komatsu Seisakusho for the Ground Self-Defense Force, is a new type of wheeled armored vehicle designed to operate in groups of 2 to 3 vehicles as a rifle team. The vehicle went through a development process from 1997 to 1999, including prototypes and technical tests conducted by the Ministry of Defense Technology Research Headquarters. It was approved in 2000 after passing practical tests for mobility and bulletproof performance. The vehicle, also known as “Light Armored Vehicle: LAV” or “Light Armor,” has been in service since 2002. It comes with a cost of approximately 30 million yen and has dimensions of 4.40m length, 2.04m width, and 1.85m height. The vehicle weighs 4.5t and can reach a maximum speed of 100 km/h with a range of 500 km. Its crew capacity is four people, and it is equipped with an Isuzu water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder diesel engine producing 160 hp. The armor protection consists of rolled steel plates and bulletproof glass, using high-strength steel plates for civilian use. The vehicle can be armed with either a 5.56 MINIMI LMG or a 12.7 M2 HMG, and it has smoke dischargers on each side. The manufacturer of this vehicle is Komatsu Ltd.
By the way , there is no "Type __ " in the name, which is the number that is usually given to a vehicle based on the year it was addopted.
It is also abbreviated as " Light Armored Vehicle: LAV " and has the official nickname of the Ground Self-Defense Force, Light Armor 陸上自衛隊、ライトアーマー.

The Komatsu LAV Overall

Designed by Komatsu Ltd, this vehicle packs a powerful punch while providing reliable protection for its crew.
With a length of 4.40 meters, a width of 2.04 meters, and an overall height of 1.85 meters, this agile vehicle strikes the perfect balance between mobility and compactness. Weighing 4.5 tons, it ensures swift movement without compromising on durability.
Powered by an Isuzu water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder diesel engine, boasting an output of 160 horsepower, this armored vehicle delivers the performance needed for various missions. It can reach an impressive maximum speed of 100 km/h and cover a range of 500 km, making it ideal for both urban and off-road operations.
The vehicle’s protective features include a welded structure of rolled steel plates, ensuring robust armor capable of withstanding hostile environments. While it utilizes high-strength steel plates for civilian use, rest assured that this armor is of top-notch quality, providing enhanced defense for its crew.
The light armored vehicle accommodates a crew of 4 people, making it a reliable and efficient asset for various tactical scenarios. It is armed with either a 5.56 MINIMI LMG or a 12.7 M2 HMG, the latter boasting a custom gun mount for improved accuracy and firepower. Additionally, it can be equipped with 8 smoke dischargers on each side, enhancing its tactical capabilities on the battlefield.
The vehicle’s reliability, cost-effectiveness, and adaptability have made it a trusted choice for military and security forces. Whether on reconnaissance missions or engaging in combat situations, this light armored vehicle excels in diverse operational environments, providing the necessary support for its crew and enhancing overall mission success.

The Type 01 LMAT Anti-Tank Missile

The Type 01 LMAT, also known as 01式軽対戦車誘導弾, is a compact and lightweight portable anti-tank missile, serving as the successor to the 84mm recoilless gun. Introduced in 2001 and deployed in units since 2002, this advanced anti-tank weapon has proven to be highly effective on the battlefield.
One of the key features of the Type 01 LMAT is its infrared image guidance system, utilizing an uncooled CCD image sensor. This technology allows the missile to be fired without the need for pre-cooling, shortening the warm-up time significantly. Furthermore, the infrared seeker enables the missile to be guided without continuous external assistance, providing the shooter with more flexibility in targeting and releasing the missile after launch.
The LMAT’s shooting method involves a single operator carrying the launcher on their shoulder, aiming it at the target, and firing the missile. Unlike traditional recoilless guns, the LMAT generates less backblast upon launch, making it suitable for firing from the top hatch of a light armored vehicle or from inside cover, increasing the shooter’s protection and reducing the risk of detection.
The missile is versatile in its attack capabilities, offering two shooting modes. The “direct attack mode” allows the missile to fly horizontally and hit the target directly, while the “top attack mode” involves the missile ascending after launch and then descending upon the top of the target, which is particularly effective against vehicles with thin armor.
The Type 01 LMAT boasts impressive target destruction capability with its double-structured “shaped charge explosive warhead.” This enables it to effectively penetrate explosive reaction armor, also known as reactive armor, which is commonly used as an additional defense on tanks.
The guided missile comes with a disposable launch tube, and shooters can replace it after firing to achieve a remarkable rate of “up to 4 consecutive shots per minute.” This rapid fire capability adds to its combat effectiveness, allowing for swift engagements against multiple targets.
Manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, the Type 01 LMAT is cost-effective, incorporating many consumer-grade electronic components to keep the manufacturing cost as low as possible.
With a range of 1 to 2 km and a speed of approximately 66 m/s, the Type 01 LMAT presents a formidable threat to enemy armored vehicles. Its success in combat and its ability to be operated by a single shooter have made it a valuable asset for military units since its introduction in 2001.

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:
[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]
[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Links

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/01式軽対戦車誘導弾

ジャベリンと比較!01式軽対戦車誘導弾LMATの性能とは | 海洋国防アカデミー

01式軽対戦車誘導弾|01軽MAT・ATM-5|陸上自衛隊装備品|陸自調査団

01Ž® Œy‘ΐíŽÔ—U“±’e

Type 01 LMAT | Weaponsystems.net

https://www.mod.go.jp/gsdf/neae/6d/equipment/lav.html

軽装甲機動車|LAV・ライトアーマー|陸上自衛隊装備品|陸自調査団

軽装甲機動車

15 Likes

Sonic Boom Knuckles GIF - Sonic boom Knuckles Approved ...

12 Likes

Thx ! XDDD

Speeeeeeed

2 Likes

Yesss +1

2 Likes

Japan needs some more missiles! +1

2 Likes

+1 as long as China get its own version lmao.

Spoiler

3 Likes

Speedy missile boy! +1

3 Likes

Another option for missile armament could be the Type-87 Chu-MAT as well. It has less range then the Type 01 LMAT but could be the starter munition and the LMAT could be an upgrade.

1 Like

Yes, please.

1 Like

Nice videos on the Type 01

2 Likes

agree,i need this

1 Like

What is the speed of the missile in the video? I always think that the speed of 66 m/s mentioned in the introduction above is too slow, but the speed of the missile in this video feels very fast

No idea how accurate it’s but from what i could calculate is that it has a speed of ~142m/s in direct fire mode as it took ~6-7 seconds for it to reach 1000m.

And in top attack it seems the have about the same speed maybe just a bit slower.
But as i said previously no idea how accurate it’s.

4 Likes

Thank you for your answer, looking forward to this car appearing in Japan

Vroom ‘n’ boom

1 Like

+1

3 Likes

+1 Having a little rat vehicle like this would be really fun, Type 93 exists but it is unable to shoot ground targets.

7 Likes

Thanks to someone i’m being brutally forced to post My aproximate calculations on the type 01 Lmat wich are based on rough numbers

• speed of 176.39 m/s, based on the 1000 meters run at 5.67 seconds to be more precise, at an angle of attack of constant 55 degrees initial run and 55 degrees attack
  • motor finishes consuming fuel at 3.7 seconds 151.1 N/s of consumption
  • 559.09 N over its 3.7 seconds of consumption rate
  • 0.226 drag coefficent rate(aproximate)
  • This gives me an aproximate of 5.7 kg of weight for the sold rocket fuel without knowledge of it’s efficency
  • Electronics aproximately 2.0 kg or more
  • Warhead 3.7 kg (aproximately)
  • Range possible 4 km with more reallistic 3 using the current measurement
    The result it’s very rough since is what i had on hand using what i know
2 Likes

u r welcome