KH-38ML missile is not balanced in War Thunder's current enviroment

I love when CAS discussion is tied to ability to play Air RB.

It really shows why allowing first spawn of interceptors is not only necessary it’s the assumed counter.

Im referring to GRB.

You’re saying a CAS plane’s ability to fight other aircraft has relevance to its ground potential, yes I know.

Hence my statement “it really shows why allowing first spawn of interceptors is not only necessary, it’s the assumed counter”.

Any thoughts how not to die from r27ET?

The HEAT mavericks are pretty bad and the FLIR pod on the F16C is gen 1 for some reason

I love when CAS discussion is tied to ability to play Air RB.

It has nothing to do with Air RB capabilities. The capability of the SU25 to defend against other planes is equal in ARB and GRB.

The best counter is a fighter. Is it any different for fighting any other CAS? The largest difference here is that vs most other top tier CAS, the SU25 is a sitting duck to CAP.

I jump in a fighter to combat CAS before SPAA. Reason being is that it is more effective. Multipathing or nap-of-the-earth doesn’t matter to a fighter with IR missiles.

And the truth is, new SPAA won’t even change anything. If I can pop up, lob a TV missile and instantly disengage and use terrain cover, what does more range even benefit the SPAA player? For the most part, only inexperienced players put themselves in the position of being shot down by SPAA.

The SAP mavericks are pretty good, JustinPlays has a good video of how effective they are.

The gen 1 FLIR doesn’t make sense to me considering it’s a gen 2+ pod, hopefully that gets changed.

They are very nice

its a weird bug for some reason as every other plane with the pod has it gen 2

Short range radar missiles with IOG don’t have a strong counter besides ground collision / avoiding frontal attack.

Then the frame of the jet has no relevance to the discussion as it’s ample speed to take off / rise to altitude.

Yes every other CAS vehicle in the game is within the range of SPAA.

I’m about IR version that will definitely kill you from 10-15km without any signs in ground rb

That’s just disingenuous and ignores that you face planes in GRB as you do Air RB.

So as someone who uses them, the best counter is to use your RWR to identify an R27ET capable plane, and use periodic flares. They are flare hungry. You may see a launch as they burn for a long while, too, but don’t rely on it.

Yes you do. And the plane in question has R-73s to deal with any planes that might want to kill it.

It does get 2 R73s.

But it faces mach capable planes that can actually turn, with HMDs and up to 8 missiles. It’s not a level playing field. Which is fine. It’s exactly why the KH38 is acceptable for the SU25SM3. Because the plane has significant counters to effectively using it’s one primary strength.

1 Like

It really shows why allowing first spawn of interceptors is not only necessary, it’s the assumed counter.

It’s the right counter. And why is there a problem? The 800 SP it takes to get the SU25 with TV KH38s takes longer to get than the 500ish for an AA loadout fighter.

It’s easy to have CAP waiting for it.

1 Like

It’s a problem because interceptors are not allowed first spawn to be preventative of CAS.

But they can spawn before CAS regardless due to the SP difference. Spawning a plane before anything else is a disadvantage to your team anyways. You eat through your SP to do so, and are doing nothing to contribute to cap control while waiting for CAS to spawn.