Japan Su-27

I don’t believe this is necessary.

35 Likes

Yeah, but they are lacking out on the early active radar homing missiles and air to ground guided munitions for top tier aircraft. So far, the only known aircraft that can use guided munitions are the F-1, F-2 and F-15JSI, which is either way too advanced or way too behind for Japan. The Su-27SKM in particular would be the middle ground for Japan. Japan is not known to operate AIM-120A AMRAAM, and the RVV-EP (R-77) is fairly balanced compare to the 120A. Beside that, SKM can use AGM and anti-radiation missiles, all of the things that Japan is currently not using on their F-2s and F-1s.

They can easily just give the F-15J AIM-120 for balance, it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done this, just look at Germany, I’m sure this would go for any other weapon type gaijin sees fit.

8 Likes

Nice and interesting read!
The situation is similar to Taiwan’s prospect of getting SU-27’s but only former combat pilots got to joyride on a SU-27 trainer.

Would be hilarious and interesting to see +1

5 Likes

The thing is, Japan F-15J that is able to operate the AMRAAM (F-15J MSIP first type) is also able to operate the AAM-4/4B. It would be a bit unfair to limits it loadout to just AMRAAM, that we are not even sure if Japan uses, as Japan only known to have AIM-120C5 and AIM-120C7 for uses, not AIM-120A. And it still does not resolve the air to ground dilemma Japan top tier air is in.

This is very wrong and something i keep seeing people say…
So im gonna make this clear once and for all

F-15J:
The F-15J we have now is pre-msip no fox 3 capabilities but the next in line is F-15J MSIP with APG-63 V1 which allows for fox 3s this upgraded F-15Js also introduced the J/ARG-1 transmitter for AAM-4s. BUT F-15J MSIP can use AIM-120s and has actually tested them i will link my weapons thread i list all AMRAAMS Japan has or likely has in inventory plus evidence of F-15Js testing AIM-120Bs.

The F-15JSI you mentioned is a completely separate development that is new and is similar to the upgrades of F-15EX this is currently no revelent.

9 Likes

Irrelevant of whether I agree with this idea or not, this should be posted in the correct place.

5 Likes

Continued…

F-2: while yes the XF-2A and F-2A early will lack fox 3s as they lack J/ARG-1 to use AAM-4s they should still be more then enough plus there is the chance gaijin could just give it AAM-4s anyway at least for early F-2s…late F-2s bring some better (though not overly crazy cas) with sniper pod they can bring 8 laser guided JDAMs…there is also some research on going with ASM-3 can potentially be used on ground targets…F-2 late also brings a new radar and then there are like 2 other F-2 varients with new sensors and yet another newer radar i haven’t mentioned.

So yes in CAS japan will lack frankly thats something we have to accept but i see no reason to add a Flanker to Japan there F-15J line and F-2 line should be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Well, it still doesnt resolved the question of air to ground guided weapons no? The latter Su-27s can carry anti radiation and air to ground guided missiles while being more survivable thân say, the P-2.

And I don’t like to see aircrafts being limited in it armament to fit in ech tree blind slots, personally.

Thats just something we have to accept…Japan didn’t use them there is no need to add more fake additions to the tree…

Heck if you really wanted “what if” additions it would of made more sense to list F-15FX and F-2 superkai which both would add more cas while still being somewhat realistic (though still “what if”)

Spoiler

f2superkai4
6f08b08479921aef973d695d570e872d
F-15FX

8 Likes

This is more real than both of them, as Japan actually sent pilots to evaluate and train with it. Thats not to mention both are way more capable thân the Su-27PU/Su-27KI/Su-27SKM. But I wouldn’t object their additions to the game.

Fireraid already mentioned the solution for this problem;
(F-2A Late suggestion)

Yea but unfortunately neither were ever built (or in case of the F-15FX; never test flown as far as I am aware).
I spent a lot of time finding out more on both, especially since there was a “hint” that the F-2 Super Kai might had a prototype; but also here unfortunately, this turned out to be a deepfake.
With F-3 being in development and the new F-15JSI (basically Japans very own F-15X) standard planned to enter service soon, I don’t see any more trialed / proposal Aircraft coming anyway; even though I really like the Super Kai.

Besides all of this, there are still sub TT options like Thailand, which would also solve / improve said areas of the TT.
There is no need for more paper / hypothetical vehicles.

5 Likes

This seems like a rather unusual suggestion.

First off I’d like to say that I don’t think the Su-27 is necessary for Japan at all, as before it actual Japanese aircraft or even some more reasonable projects like the F-2 Super Kai or F-15FX could be added that would make more sense in the tree. And that is without going into potential subtrees.

I do think the idea of a Japanese Su-27 is rather funny as a concept and would work as an event vehicle at some point in the very distant future, when trial and paper vehicles are no longer such big exceptions as they are now.

For now I can’t say I’d actually want to see it, simply because, as with the F-16AJ, I don’t like how Gaijin adds these vehicles.

I’d fully support the F-16AJ as stated in the brochure, being the only known source, while filling information not given in it by basing it on the YF-16 testbed it was based on. However Gaijins approach of trying a “what if” version of a service F-16 instead takes away the historical foundation of the vehicle. And if they’d do that to the Su-27 I would be strongly against the addition.

TL;DR
±0
There are plenty of alternatives I’d prefer, and I don’t like how Gaijin handled these proposed vehicles so far. But I do think it would be really funny, so I won’t just say no.

2 Likes

F-15 & F-2 are better than the Sukhois anyway.

3 Likes

Well Sweden has the Havoc because a Russian pilot flew a demonstration for them one time. It makes as much sense for Japan to get the Flanker too.

1 Like

No. To start with we don’t move things to Suggestions from other sections and the following ruleset is still very much a thing at the same time.

7 Likes

Yeah, but I just want an intermediate jet with capable air to ground capabilities without having very good avionics/air to air weapons. The Su-27 is a rather unique approach compare to other aircrafts, so I think it could fit in.

It’s the same A2G capability as F-15J…

Ah, I see. Thank you.