Is air assault dead?

lil bro look up what an aim9 did to bombers in testing, then imagine an aim54

1 Like

An Aim-9 typically uses kinetic impact rather than explosives. So no, I don’t need to look at pictures; that is how an AIM-9 Sidewinder works.

An Aim-54 uses a radar proximity sensor to detonate off the target.
Or into the target. However, from footage and pictures, it typically detonates off it. Meaning it’s relying more on concussive and shrapnel force rather than kinetic force. But apparently I’m talking about the out of below.
image

Your argument does not stand and I’ve already explained why… less mass impacting at a lower velocity with a fraction of the warhead… it is not the same.

1 Like

If a Flak shell detonates off a target with less of a warhead, sure.
However, that 88 flak shell detonated directly point-blank blew the whole cockpit apart. The fact that the crew who survived managed to even get it to land while dealing with decompression, as well as no measurement indicators, is beyond a miracle. Since they were very limited on if something could even work.

Generally speaking, aircraft are not made from Steel at all…
As for failure rates, in real life yes… in game we are watching them hit and impart no consequences to their targets.

Funny, up to a bout a week ago I was routinely claiming my daily 300% booster with ease, now it’s literally impossible to win…

and this is the part i am not arguing. But you people seem to blindly think i am.

Literally everything you just said is wrong… the Aim-9 is designed to explode beside its target.
I’d suggest you really do need to do some research as it is becoming increasingly apparent you don’t have a clue…

1 Like

Bud, do you really want me to bring up every bit of footage of it being fired and the fact that Aim-9’s are always shown hitting their target? Not “exploding” off. Unless you made a typo.

“Bud”…no they are not… go off and start reading, I’m not wrong.

The Aim-9 features an annular ring warhead and a proxy fuse, they are explicitly designed to not directly hit their targets but rather to detonate alongside and cut sections off…

26 seconds into the video.
The AIM-9 missile, during trials, hit an F-4 Drone. Smacked dead into it.
Did not explode; however shown to have done kinetic damage upon impact with the target.


56 Seconds into the video: 2nd Aim-9 hit a different, or likely the same, F-4 from a different camera angle. Likely a different drone.
1:25: Impact and then detonation
1:50: Impact, detonation.

1:14: Impact
Detonation.

Would you like me to continue: Mr “I know how an AIM-9 Sidewinder works”. Cause it doesn’t take rocket science to find YouTube videos that did half the work.

Aim-54C launched off F-4 Phantom II
1:29, impact, detonation of a retired US Fighter jet, now a drone.

Should I continue cause i can? But I am being nice.

Kid, I am not arguing with you… I am telling you!

You do not know how the Aim-9 works, it does have a proxy fuse and it does detonate adjacent to its target, this is not a debate, you’re just wrong.

Screenshot 2026-09-22 003643
When was the last time you launched an Aim-9**X** in Warthunder?

Please do… because you are not demonstrating what you think you are…

Edit: Wrong screenshot.

1 Like

Wild: I provide YouTube videos to argue, and you just claim I’m wrong. Such a great argument.

Screenshot 2026-09-22 003643

I ask again, when was the last time you launched an Aim-9X in Warthunder?
The screenshot I’ve given you twice now is from your video… we don’t have anything beyond the M, so I couldn’t care less how many videos you provide of the X.

I’ve explained to you how the weapons warhead works, I’ve correctly informed you that it does infact have a proxy fuse, yet you are still arguing without bothering to verify anything I’ve told you. While it does also have a contact fuse this weapon’s warhead is most effective when the missile doesn’t directly impact its target…

how was air assault after the HP buff? I tried before the update and failed before 15 mins; I got a 75% booster for failing.

I also tried using the aim-9Ls against bombers in test drive, mainly firing them 100m above bombers at a 70-80 degree angle. while the missiles still did not down them in one hit consistently, I found more bombers were taken down when the missiles were fired top down rather than fired from behind, ±20 deg elevation.

IDK about the top bracket yet. But I just played the 2.3 and the base HP has been bumped to 400 pts. We still lost but that was on our team and we lasted long enough to get the 300% booster.

I guess I’ll have to try it out again one of these days. Is it viable to bring bombs to just take out the artillery? I currently only have IR missiles and the last time I played assault I couldn’t even get close enough to lock on before the AI were killed by all the radar missile users.

I often do to get a few guns without having to lose all of my altitude.

What is ironic is that the bombers now last long enough that lower tier planes get a lot more kills than they used to.

1 Like

Tried air assault after a long time and it puts 9.0 planes with 13.7+ planes, so yea for some tiers air assault is dead

I’ve shifted down to lowest tier recently and it’s still carryable down there with the right plane. just avoid Norway and Sicily; the low alt planes, Potez 633 and Beaufort, also received survivability buff.

Good way to finish killing this gamemode, now its truly impossible to win, even if you let 14.0 aircrafts it will still be the same. Well maybe if everyone plays Su-30 and spam kh38 at them.

First match against wellingtons (B-29) and we lost in the first round.

Second match, against dorniers and me264 it was easier to deal with them, but after dealing with bombers and arty, we got overwelmed.

1 Like